Monogamy | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Monogamy

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks. It is true by definition.

Thank God we still have NTPs around.

Monogamy means one sex partner, not zero. Do you think this is true?

Yes, it's true. But looking at it that way really takes the fun out of it. On the other hand, it is also a matter of degree. The last girl I dated was an ISFP and she wanted it every day.

I think you've missunderstood me

I'm not trying to lay down any sort of law here, but when i'm musing about these sort of issues i tend to look at it from a macro angle ie i tend to try to imagine what would work on a societal level

So of course relationships can take whatever form people desire to form them to...but generally speaking they will usually form along male/female lines (as a generalisation)

Also when i was thinking about what you were saying i was thinking of polygamy and what the down sides to that might be

I have no problem with the concept of polyamourous relationships (of any type)

Wealth was never a factor in deciding my own partners in life

The reason i brought up the wealth issue is because i remember once reading about a culture where polygamy was the institutionalised norm. generally only the men who could afford to keep a number of wives had multiple wives. These sort of cultures often had dowrys as well.

I appreciate we don't have dowries anymore and that women have their own independent means but what we do have in our society is a massive inequality in wealth (largely held by men). Its also my belief that this shift of wealth that has occured in my lifetime has been done fraudulently and that the wealth is not an indicator of those peoples intelligence, compassion or any other positive trait but rather a measure of their mendacity and guile...which are not really traits we should reward as a society...imo

So if we as a society adopted polygamy in an institutionalised way instead of say the current marriage set up then what i'm saying is that just as the global investors are now buying up all the assets of various western nations in state run 'firesales' they would also inevitably hoard women (the oligarchs are mostly men)

In the economic climate that is now materialising where life is going to get harder for larger and larger numbers of people, it is quite conceivable that many women might be attracted (rightly or wrongly) by the draw of a better quality of life living in a harem of the oligarchs (who have taken all the wealth eg in banking scandals)

Or even reproduce at all....i agree....people should do what works for them

Honestly Slant i believe that people should do whatever works for them as long as they aren't hurting anyone else....i assure you i am very open minded regarding these sorts of things

I have chosen myself to not marry because i don't agree with the institution of marriage (which was conceived out of property rights...which is to say that the man gained ownership of the woman). I also don't beleive that either the church or the government should have any sort of stake in my relationship so i will neither sanctify my relationship in a church nor sign a government contract to enshrine it in law

I do not support Polygamy because it is often a practice of oppressing women and the word brings to meaning a very specific type of relationship. Polyamory can take a form that looks similar to polygamy but it is not the same thing because of cultural differences and the way that these relationships operate. So in that sense I don't think we are really discussing the same things.

Reactions: muir
I do not support Polygamy because it is often a practice of oppressing women and the word brings to meaning a very specific type of relationship. Polyamory can take a form that looks similar to polygamy but it is not the same thing because of cultural differences and the way that these relationships operate. So in that sense I don't think we are really discussing the same things.

Yeah agreed...i'll take responsibility for that confusion :)

I think we actually agree with each other

I also think polyamory is a perfectly acceptable solution

I think the problem raised by la sagna that it might be strange for kids exists only because it is currently perceived as an odd thing by society; if it were common then there would be no issue about how it might adversly affect kids...there would be no stigma or controversy attached to it

Polygamy i think could lead to problems

Oh thank you...I will do it, that's for sure.

Just for clarification, when I was disagreeing with you, I was just saying that you are boring, like a parrot, not responsibility in a relationship. The fact that you don't realize it, it's just because you don't realize it.

Just for clarification, when I was disagreeing with you, I was just saying that you are boring, like a parrot, not responsibility in a relationship. The fact that you don't realize it, it's just because you don't realize it.
I'm boring because you disagree with my opinion?
Listen, your frustration makes it sound like you aren't satisfied in your sex life. If that is the case, deal with it on your own because taking it out on me won't get you laid.

Sex is not an obligation or a responsibility for one party to fulfill. If someone happens to not be in the mood, I think it's worthwhile to understand why rather than to expect them to just comply. That seems really selfish and detrimental to a relationship. There are always reasons for why people feel and do (or don't do) things. Both peoples needs should be met.

That's what a relationship is.

Last edited:
so one part thinks something is boring, and the other part thinks the prior part is boring for thinking that is boring :D

what you guys argue is whether duty gives or takes meaning, no?
if we can agree on that it is subjective, to ones internal values, then what is the point of calling out others opinion without any compelling line of reasoning.

Or maybe just a friendship?

Which is essentially an open relationship. They are not limited from having other friends, seeing other people, etc... So it's open.

Which is essentially an open relationship. They are not limited from having other friends, seeing other people, etc... So it's open.

Not exactly...

Boring like a parrot... what?

Reactions: acd
I know this is star kingly different from the beliefs I have shared so far on here so here is my take on it.
Open relationship for the win! Monogamy is boring.