Merkabah | Page 416 | INFJ Forum
More things to ponder...
(Can you compare a normal persons’ “shadow self” to those one might contend is a sociopath ((like Trump))?)
Speaking of the antichrist
:)
I’m not sure that is a fair comparison of opposites ?

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 7.57.17 AM.png

“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”

— Carl Jung

Evil is not a force to be destroyed in the external world.
Each waking moment, evil is closer to us than our own beating hearts.

No honest human being could deny the voice within that is an unseemly double, the whispering “no” to oppose our every conscious affirmation of life.
In Christian mysticism, two is an unseemly number – it reflects how truly split our consciousness really is.

Our adversary, our antichrist, is just a mythologization of that split psyche.

The problem with Christianity, for Carl Jung, was its attempt to hide the reality of the shadow.
In Aion, Jung describes the shadow as “the face of absolute evil”, the projections and emotions which constitute all the “dark aspects of the personality”.

Early Christianity, in an attempt to banish evil from its cosmology, defined evil as the mere absence of good.
Augustine and the Early Church fathers believed that evil, unlike God, has no real substance.

Jung found this definition to be a comforting illusion.
Evil asserts itself endlessly across the landscape of human thought and history.

It is wishful thinking to suppose that evil has a lesser place in the cosmos in relation to the good.

In 1951, an elderly Jung published Aion, a flawed and difficult book that nevertheless contains insights that remain luminous seventy years after they were written:

“Today humanity, as never before, is split into two apparently irreconcilable halves. The psychological rule says that when an inner situation is not made conscious, it happens outside, as fate. That is to say, when the individual remains undivided and does not become conscious of his inner opposite, the world must perforce act out the conflict and be torn into opposing halves.”

In projecting our psychic double, our impossible shadow, onto others, we both partake in the illusion of moral perfection and justify righteous warfare by any means against others.

Jung writes that “most people are content to be self-righteous and prefer mutual vilification (if nothing worse!) to the recognition of their projections”. Thus, we have a world split apart on fundamental empirical and ethical questions, such as the nature of men and women, and the potential justification of abortion and borders, topics on which you are certain to never reach universal consensus.

The lack of mercy within oneself can be projected onto political opponents.
In international affairs, it becomes scapegoating – my own country can do no wrong, it is rather the Russians pulling strings, or the threat of nations like North Korea and Iran.

The person who denies their shadow, it seems, surrounds themselves with enemies, real or imagined.

Jung writes that a person who denies their shadow will “change the world into a replica of one’s own unknown face.”
The evil that you are capable of, denied, becomes the responsibility exclusively of others.

Public thinking becomes little more than a command on others to ally themselves with you, as both George W. Bush and radical intersectionality must believe, “You are either with us or against us.”

There are striking overlaps between neoconservative ideology and contemporary social justice.
Writer Chris Hedges considers neoconservatism to be a “utopian” belief that force alone can shape the world in the image of the good.

Instead, righteous war shaped the Middle East into America’s “unknown face”.
The barbarism we believed ourselves to be innocent of manifested in ISIS, our doppelganger, the faceless villain who beheads journalists and rapes women, the darkest possible shadow emerging in the wake of our decisive action.

This is not to say that we are equivalent to ISIS, but that our righteous actions reaped moral evils that were even worse than our initial enemy.

Blowback, or the idea that harming others ultimately harms the self, shows up all over American public life.
When shame was used as a weapon to defeat ugly ideas and bigotry, the ultimate incarnation of bigotry, Donald Trump, transmuted condemnation into publicity and became the most powerful man in the world.

Attempts to isolate him as the opposite of American values failed to prevent him from becoming the international avatar of those values.
Shame, likewise, deployed continuously against his supporters since 2016, has failed to cause self-reflection.

President Trump’s approval numbers are wholly consistent with an ordinary President’s.
America, split into two irreconcilable halves, is unable to distinguish its national identity or deep-rooted problems from the personality of a single volatile man.

As such, the whole of politics is reduced to a single personal moral statement: “I find that man deplorable.”

Even as Trump enforces and expands child separation policies that have been in law for years, or exercises inflated military and surveillance powers that were handed down by George W. Bush, and normalized by Barack Obama, there is little impulse for self-reflection.

Rather than offering a better alternative to Trump, we idolize the recent past and demonize a man, a cheap trick.

When you attack another person, there is a real sense in which you are attacking an aspect of yourself.
The fundamentalist Christian holds many traditional ideas in common with the fundamentalist Muslim – yet, no two people despise each other more.

Jung might suppose that we hate those who reveal unpleasant truths about ourselves.
In the case of Donald Trump, he has revealed that marketing and politics are the same game – if one can attain unrivaled fame and a social media platform, a person can take over the world.

And what, in all honesty, is the intention of our class of social media elites and intellectuals, other than to occupy that identical position of prestige and authority?

The illusion of individual moral perfection, the belief that we alone deserve to sculpt the world in our image, leads to a world of crusaders assembled behind half-truths, whose ideas, egos and personal brands are hopelessly intermixed into the same substance, and each are striving for the loudest voice.

But each voice is tethered to the same split heart.

Throughout Aion, Carl Jung uses Christian symbolism as a psychological map of good and evil inside every individual’s heart.
Jung argues that Christ, as a symbol of the self, is not divorceable from the shadow of the Antichrist.

The existence of Christ necessitates his opposite.
Both are referred to as the Morning Star, both are compared to a lion, and in early Christian writings, Satan is the elder brother of Christ.

It is not possible to view Christ – and thus the self – as purely good.

Jung conceptualizes the Apocalypse of Saint John, the entire Book of Revelation, as the fevered dream of an imbalanced individual who has conceived only of good his entire life – only to indulge in psychopathic fantasies of the obliteration of a corrupt world run by the Antichrist.

The cost of focusing only on good is that the shadow accumulates outside of your vision, in the form of murderous fantasies and hostile dreams.

Our repressed fantasies of domination and destruction shape history.
The God of the Old Testament, for Jung, was unconscious of his darker aspects.

Yahweh is cruel and unjust in The Bible because he is not conscious of how brutal he is to figures like Job.
When mystical ideas border on fascism, it is because they linger in that unconscious domain where good cannot be separated from evil.

When we refuse to examine ourselves and integrate our evil into the conscious mind, we risk projecting it into self-righteous fantasies.
We make the world into Sodom and Gomorrah.

jung.jpg

A culture war is little more than millions of personalities split against themselves, incapable of facing their own shadows, and accordingly hanging the evils of the world on others.

Thus, it becomes possible to rant publicly about misogyny while cheating on your own wife or harassing women in your private life.
It becomes possible to blame women for your loneliness while basking in what makes you reprehensible, and using the excesses of ideological foes as an excuse to remain complacent and stagnant.

The beauty of the shadow is that it spares no one, and even those who face it cannot dissipate it – for Jung, and in all great literary characters, the existence of evil in the self is a brute psychological fact.

Integrating the shadow into the conscious self only grants awareness of when one is treading into self-righteous delusion, and consequently, presents the choice of self-control.

It never eliminates the shadow and allows one to become perfect.

Manichean dualism is presented in Aion as the opposite philosophy of the Jungian shadow.
In Manichaeism, the world is eternally torn between external forces of good and evil.

The only moral choice is to align oneself with the good, and moral perfection, and wage zero-sum war against evil.

If one believes that evil is an external phenomenon, and can be destroyed in the bodies of others, then anything is permitted.
In its most malicious form, it is the belief that if the people I perceive to be bad no longer exist, then the world will become a utopia.

In fact, the two diametrically opposed sides of contemporary culture match eerily onto the Jungian notions of animus and anima.

The anima is feminine, the source of mercy and grace, the force attempting to upset masculine-dominated history and produce a new world order.
The animus, the rational, Apollonian, logical mentality, accused of being male-dominated and phallocentric, defends the pre-existing order and argues to save both the baby and the bathwater.

One must tear down the world or ram in one’s heels – no synthesis between these forces is possible.
It is as if yin would fight yang for eternity, and the two would never reconcile within the whole of the individual self.

Lucifer, the poetic force of freedom against brutal and oppressive Yahweh, in eternal war.

The feminine and the masculine can destroy one another, or cooperate.
The self can deny the shadow, or integrate it into a stronger and more honest tomorrow.

Striking out against others produces only backlash and doubling-down upon the hatches, and even rational argument, clearly, has never converted opposing armies to one’s preferring side.

We have all built up armies within ourselves to guard our paradoxical secrets from discovery.
What would happen if many of us resolved to approach those secrets with open hands?

40325261_2206257469416312_9215829709210779648_n.jpg

40784053_2212372515471474_2574512755679690752_n.jpg

46855667_2384993764876014_8601085104489496576_n.jpg

47347921_2399489913426399_6353824379746385920_n.jpg

48087410_2422897214419002_4041880403848462336_n.jpg

48420359_2434942876547769_2083061213029203968_n.jpg

49248040_2450745838300806_2918236239599501312_n.jpg

49533989_2480107165364673_7533057983584927744_n.jpg

50437941_2514761118565944_7038241836569198592_n.jpg

50534698_2519274338114622_4425371488178143232_n.jpg

50980400_2526229004085822_4117291903488098304_n.jpg

51582886_10156551761021693_8688075634095685632_n.jpg

51754617_2555468911161831_7999396534628122624_n.jpg

Fabulous read. Very timely for me. :smirk:

(Can you compare a normal persons’ “shadow self” to those one might contend is a sociopath ((like Trump))?)

What would make Trump different?

Jung might suppose that we hate those who reveal unpleasant truths about ourselves.
In the case of Donald Trump, he has revealed that marketing and politics are the same game – if one can attain unrivaled fame and a social media platform, a person can take over the world.

And what, in all honesty, is the intention of our class of social media elites and intellectuals, other than to occupy that identical position of prestige and authority?

I miss my youngest son so much. He and I would have political discussion where we willingly went to our own "ugly truths" and honestly named things about how those ugly self truths contribute to things. These are the things you can't say without a public shaming, but are truth, nonetheless. I think it is so healthy to be able to have these conversations somewhere.

A culture war is little more than millions of personalities split against themselves, incapable of facing their own shadows, and accordingly hanging the evils of the world on others.

Because when we don't do that self-examination, I agree it is a culture war of personalities split.

We have all built up armies within ourselves to guard our paradoxical secrets from discovery.
What would happen if many of us resolved to approach those secrets with open hands?

Oh God, but it's so damn scary!!!! I try. I try. Then I want to split against myself for being so bad at it. Is anyone else seeing the rabbit hole forming underneath me?:smile:

I just died lol
Welcome to the USA!
(BTW - I still owe France $50 for a trip to the ER from food poisoning...they sent me a bill, but I never paid it.
Hopefully I’m not on some list of people to bar from the country now hahaha.)

Fabulous read. Very timely for me. :smirk:

What would make Trump different?

I miss my youngest son so much. He and I would have political discussion where we willingly went to our own "ugly truths" and honestly named things about how those ugly self truths contribute to things. These are the things you can't say without a public shaming, but are truth, nonetheless. I think it is so healthy to be able to have these conversations somewhere.

Because when we don't do that self-examination, I agree it is a culture war of personalities split.

Oh God, but it's so damn scary!!!! I try. I try. Then I want to split against myself for being so bad at it. Is anyone else seeing the rabbit hole forming underneath me?:smile:

What would make him different?
An inability to empathize...he seems like all semblance of humanity has been choked out of him at an early age by his Father probably.
IDK...wholly speculating.
If someone has no “feelings” technically, can you compare fairly to someone who does?

It is hard, and it is scary!
I try too!
And yes, there is a deep hole there!!

49422459_2455528444489212_6449541874876153856_n.jpg

51103719_728695147502815_6053319433739304960_n.jpg

(The Birth of America)
51400229_10156122796962776_5555905832236875776_n.jpg

51710816_2209445352642075_965829851564998656_n.jpg

51847187_2406907982875398_3681094131553140736_n.jpg

yes.jpg

This is a fascinating and beautiful story and video!
Coincidence?
Explanations?
Believe what you will.

Family Grieving Death of Mother
Who Loved Cardinals Gets Breathtaking Visit from Wild Bird

15095669_341817819513575_9179486273908722437_n.jpg

Losing a cherished loved one is among life’s most sorrowful experiences.
We’re often confronted with a sense of emptiness that reminds us of all the ways that person enriched our lives.

So many folks wish for some sort of sign that the individual remains with them in spirit.
And sure enough, certain mysterious occurrences seem to suggest that death does not truly sever our caring connections.

Take visiting birds, for example.
Several ancient cultures believed that winged creatures symbolize newly liberated souls on their way to reside with God.

Angela Abbott Patteson could probably tell you something about this.
Her grandmother-in-law, Dorothy Booth, recently passed away peacefully at the age of 97.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 7.18.02 PM.png

The Dodo reported that according to Patteson, Booth’s daughters Jeanne Booth Wright and Debbie Booth Patterson had communicated a specific request.

Anticipating their mother’s eventual passing, they asked her to signal them from beyond if she could.

“They talked many times with Grandma, lightheartedly, even jokingly,” Patteson told The Dodo. “‘Hey, when you get to heaven, see if you’re able to send a sign that you’re there and that you’re happy.’

“She would say, ‘I’ll see what I can do!’ They said, ‘Send a cardinal!’ Because that was one of Grandma’s favorite birds.”

So you can imagine the sense of astonished surprise when the family gathered together the day after Booth’s memorial service.
They were reportedly playing Booth’s favorite card game when they heard a noise at the kitchen window.

“My father-in-law went outside and saw it was a cardinal,” Patteson said. “It was just sitting there, completely alert and calm — nothing wrong with it.”

But that cardinal seemed determined to stay put.
Patteson explained that her father-in-law “was able to approach it and pick it up. He brought it in the house.”

Booth’s daughters, of course, were utterly amazed and overjoyed.

“They were taking pictures and crying and saying, ‘Oh my gosh, it really happened!’” Patteson said.

But after a few minutes, the group agreed it was time to release the creature back into its natural habitat.
And that’s when things got downright extraordinary.

They thought the bird was about to fly away outside, but it returned to perch companionably on one daughter’s shoulder.

“They were in sheer delight that that happened,” Patteson said.

Eventually, the daughters gently placed the cardinal on a nearby branch while a family member recorded a video.
The bird settled there briefly, basking quietly in their presence, and then softly soared into the sky.

Booth’s family is absolutely convinced that the cardinal represented a loving message from their matriarch. “They knew that it was from God,” Patteson said.

So if you’re missing someone who meant the world to you, don’t lose hope.
Perhaps they realize your heart is aching, and they’re hovering close by your side right this minute.

“To have this happen has been so comforting,” Patteson said. “It’s really helped my mother-in-law and her sister. This was definitely an answer to prayers.”

What would make him different?
An inability to empathize...he seems like all semblance of humanity has been choked out of him at an early age by his Father probably.
IDK...wholly speculating.
If someone has no “feelings” technically, can you compare fairly to someone who does?

Ha! OK, fair enough. I tend to think of him in the narcissistic category, but in either case, he seems like a great example of shadow pouring out everywhere without self-awareness. Maybe even specifically because of the father influence to be something that didn't allow room for all of him to be examined and accepted. Bleeding heart me, huh? He just needed more love and acceptance! :)

It is hard, and it is scary!
I try too!
And yes, there is a deep hole there!!

Damn, I was hoping I was imagining it. Well, at least I'll have company as I tumble in. ;-)

Ha! OK, fair enough. I tend to think of him in the narcissistic category, but in either case, he seems like a great example of shadow pouring out everywhere without self-awareness. Maybe even specifically because of the father influence to be something that didn't allow room for all of him to be examined and accepted. Bleeding heart me, huh? He just needed more love and acceptance! :)

Damn, I was hoping I was imagining it. Well, at least I'll have company as I tumble in. ;-)
If only Hitler was accepted to art school!
lol
No he probably would have been entirely different had he been nurtured by someone else as a child...but perhaps not, maybe it’s in his genes...his Dad was a swindler....his great-grandfather was run out of Germany for being a draft dodger and immigrated here ILLEGALLY to boot, before going from barber to swindler businessman himself...so there is a strong predisposition for being “less than honest” people?
If Trump isn’t a fine example of a pathological liar I’m not sure who is...it’s a mix...I think he knows sometimes when he is and other times it’s totally what he believes to be true in his shriveled up brain.
I’m sure honesty is partially nurture for sure and what you saw you own parents mirroring for you, what they instilled as right and wrong.
But perhaps there is a genetic component being passed down here as well as the bad morality?
His own children seem to be just as full of shit as he is...and also gravitate toward shitty people like Kushner.
You are most definitely correct that he is a narcissist...but can he empathize with normal humans around him...I’m not so sure that he actually is capable...I honestly think imho he is mentally unfit to be in the spot he is and am constantly amazed by what he gets away with and the incredible double standard that Obama was held in comparison is enormous!
If Obama had done or said 1% of the dumb, irrational, downright unlawful, traitorous, confirmed lies, racist, sexist, xenophobic, anti-muslim, anti-LGBQT, anti-human rights, anti-environment, global climate change denying, money laundering, misspelled, moronic tweets and things Trump has done he would have been crucified by the GOP.
(now I’ve gone down a rabbit hole...thanks! lol)
The GOP who think that gerrymandering, voter suppression, racism, sexism, and all the other BS is perfectly fine to win for their side.
Who constantly tout fiscal responsibility but history shows that to be a completely untrue lie perpetuated for decades now.
It’s very true that people are getting fucked over on their taxes this year thanks to Trump and the GOP being so considerate toward that middle class and that all the stuff about it only being for the rich was just silly...haha... :(
Wages continue to stagnate.
Okay...I’ve wandered way off course now...

At any rate...he has no idea what it’s like to live below a certain level of wealth.
He cannot empathize even if it were mentally/emotionally possible for the guy.
He lives in a world that is far separated from most of the country he is supposed to represent and on day one forgot that he was and still is the employee of the people.

He lives in a world that is far separated from most of the country he is supposed to represent and on day one forgot that he was and still is the employee of the people.

I suspect he represents the people who voted for him pretty well actually - my theory.... they voted for their shadows so they could have someone to project them onto :D

perhaps there is a genetic component

I believe so.

...I honestly think imho he is mentally unfit to be in the spot he is and am constantly amazed by what he gets away

..he has no idea what it’s like to live below a certain level of wealth.

"Hear, hear!" She shouts...and then goes off to whimper in dismay at the state of humanity. :disappointed:

btw, I don't think he forgot he was an employee, I don't think being so was ever his intention. But, I am also pretty sure you wouldn't disagree with me.

...I’ve wandered way off course now...

But isn't that the fun part? :wink:

I'm quite certain he has always viewed the position of president as nothing more than a business opportunity

I suspect he represents the people who voted for him pretty well actually - my theory.... they voted for their shadows so they could have someone to project them onto :D

I believe so.

"Hear, hear!" She shouts...and then goes off to whimper in dismay at the state of humanity. :disappointed:

btw, I don't think he forgot he was an employee, I don't think being so was ever his intention. But, I am also pretty sure you wouldn't disagree with me.

But isn't that the fun part? :wink:

Dang, you nailed it!

I'm quite certain he has always viewed the position of president as nothing more than a business opportunity

I agree with all of you!
He certainly does not have to good of the nation or the world as the primary objective that’s for sure.
:<3white:

12313535_1072977692734872_670681284672739505_n.jpg

51552847_10213888190740203_4904869960750202880_n.jpg

51626423_686266871775307_2506779416319754240_n.jpg

51638553_2305230946176201_6986394597689655296_n.jpg

12249911_1072228976143077_9040850134918506950_n.jpg

12301640_1074237229275585_6079202425532280244_n.jpg