Merkabah | Page 198 | INFJ Forum
Good to hear you're sounding so positive. It's easy to let all the bullshit wear you down. I'm good, my body's taking a while to get over the pneumonia. I was at home for the past week and got a small taste of what you talked about before. I felt useless, couldn't really do anything to help my parents around the house. Even though there was a lot of work getting ready for family coming over from South Africa, I was thought too weak to do much. It is not a nice feeling.

Metropolis:
An excellent movie if you have never seen it…apparently there is an illustrated book that went out of print in the 1930s.
I tried to get my hands on one but no one seemed to know where to get one…maybe I’ll try again now that social media is more widespread.
The basis of the story is the rich live in the opulent city above and basically drink and party all day every day while the majority of the people live underground and toil under terrible conditions to run the city above…until they revolt.

tumblr_m1tzhobIZ01qcay1ao1_500.gif

metropolis4-maria-robot-star1.jpg

tumblr_np6i5mXpOZ1qg2fbko1_500.gif

Really interesting movie, so much going on in it. It was a pioneer in so many ways and the fact that it's still relevant today, 90 years later, speaks volumes for it's artistry.

12631458_1586961358210023_8924741657016025415_n.jpg

Good to hear you're sounding so positive. It's easy to let all the bullshit wear you down. I'm good, my body's taking a while to get over the pneumonia. I was at home for the past week and got a small taste of what you talked about before. I felt useless, couldn't really do anything to help my parents around the house. Even though there was a lot of work getting ready for family coming over from South Africa, I was thought too weak to do much. It is not a nice feeling.

Really interesting movie, so much going on in it. It was a pioneer in so many ways and the fact that it's still relevant today, 90 years later, speaks volumes for it's artistry.

Very glad to hear you are feeling better!!
I am soooo gonna order that hardback book….it had such cool art in it as well.
When I searched for it about 10 years ago, I had to basically call a bunch of bookstores around the country and keep my fingers crossed.
God bless the internets.

On feeling useless -

“I need to open this door of self in order to throw out everything that is useless and to save the meaning of

the things I have to keep.”

Marieta Maglas- Eschatological Regression

YES! This describes the paradox of it all.

It does.
I even debated posting it because it can come off as arrogant…as if you are dumb if you don’t fit the thought behind the meme.
But I decided that there is someone out there who probably really needed to read this…because sometimes acting and trying to be a certain way is also demeaning to your true nature.
It resonated with me.

Something random I found...

12512322_10208433891865509_2475648988598330737_n.jpg

Two free very bizarre e-books!
These will make for an interesting read!

I have weakness for the more peculiar works and I post them here regardless of their spiritual attributes in admiration of human creativity.

Today I have two of these goodies for you and if you are into this, you will not be disappointed.
These two works have one thing in common; you will never understand a single word of them.

\

The Voynich Manuscript
is written in an unknown alphabet.
Not a living soul knows what it means.

During centuries top military code-breakers, linguists, historians and laymen have tried to decipher it, all failed. People have gone insane in their obsessions trying to figure it out.

It dates back to the early 15th century.
Enjoy the meticulous illustrations of botanical fantasies.

CODEX Serahinianus
What it lacks in any kind of meaningfulness, it returns in max psychedelic weird assness — and illustrative beauty.

As The Voynich Manuscript it is written in Italy in an incomprehensible language with a made for the occasion set of characters.

Enough said, you can find detailed bios on the works many places on the internet, try Wikipedia or some of the dedicated forums.

Download the books here.
Please bear in mind that both works are more than 50 MB, they might take a while to download:

Voynich Manuscript
The Voynich Manuscript is written in an unknown alphabet.
During centuries top military code-breakers, linguists, historians and laymen have tried to decipher it, all failed.

Written by: Unknown
Published by: Handwritten
Edition: First
Available in:Ebook

Voynich Manuscript

Codex Seraphinianus
Codex Seraphinianus is an encyclopedia of copious hand-drawn, colored-pencil illustrations of bizarre and fantastical flora.

Written by: Luigi Serafini
Published by: Handwritten
Edition: First
Available in:Ebook

Codex Seraphinianus

You can buy the print version here: Codex Seraphinianus 2-volume True First Edition 1981 Signed By Luigi Serafini #865/4000

One of the drawings of [MENTION=1814]invisible[/MENTION] reminded me of the style of these. Such a fascinating mystery!

It does.
I even debated posting it because it can come off as arrogant…as if you are dumb if you don’t fit the thought behind the meme.
But I decided that there is someone out there who probably really needed to read this…because sometimes acting and trying to be a certain way is also demeaning to your true nature.
It resonated with me.

Yes, my first thought was one of identification with the post. But then the feeling arose that it was such an arrogant reaction, which was followed the self-mockery. Of course that reaction is sometimes a necessary one. Without it you'll go around creating threads where you call yourself a genius and everyone else an ignorant troll.

It's difficult to walk that line between being self-abjection and self-importance.

One of the drawings of @invisible reminded me of the style of these. Such a fascinating mystery!

I’ll let you know if I crack the code!

Yes, my first thought was one of identification with the post. But then the feeling arose that it was such an arrogant reaction, which was followed the self-mockery. Of course that reaction is sometimes a necessary one. Without it you'll go around creating threads where you call yourself a genius and everyone else an ignorant troll.

It's difficult to walk that line between being self-abjection and self-importance.

Perfectly summed up!

Reactions: Tin Man
12310712_728004393997549_388170138191325213_n.jpg

Most helpful and curious...

I have written before about the Alexander technique, an approach to teaching the chronic pain patient how to avoid destructive muscular and mental tension during the course of everyday living.

The basis for even considering such an approach is the assumption that most of us are not as completely aware of our Self as we interact with, and attempt to impact, the world beyond our skin.

Alexander believed that those of us who use our musculature inappropriately, over time, will lose the fine art of sensory appreciation of the world, which ultimately causes those so afflicted to suffer pain more easily and chronically, and may leave them somewhat emotionally muted when it comes to the most daily communications with our fellow humans.

Forget about the deeper nuances of relationships.

Examples of repeated misuse of musculature include standing with one's weight unevenly distributed, holding one's head at an unnatural angle (as many of us do when showing others that we are listening), or just walking with an inefficient gait.

Alexander set out to right these psychophysical wrongs: fixing physical and psychological wounds, by patching up the physical defects first.

Unfortunately, it has been difficult to "prove" there is anything to the Alexander technique.

Until, perhaps, an article that appeared in the "Annals of Internal Medicine" a couple of months ago.

British researchers from the University of York conducted the first randomized controlled trial to examine the effect of adding acupuncture or Alexander Technique exercises to usual care (medication and physical therapy) for chronic neck pain–and they found promising improvements in pain reduction and self-efficacy.

All subjects received usual care and were randomly assigned to acupuncture (12 sessions, each 50 minutes long, for 600 minutes total), to Alexander Technique (up to 20 one-on-one sessions, for 600 minutes total), or to usual care only.

The investigators found statistically and clinically significant 12-month reductions in baseline pain sores with acupuncture and with Alexander lessons compared with usual care.

In addition, they reported significantly larger decreases in pain and disability in the acupuncture and Alexander groups at 3 and 6 months, and significantly larger improvements in mental health scores at 12 months

The authors of this article remind us that, for acupuncture, longer-term effects are likely associated with acupuncture-related diagnostic explanations linked to self-care in the form of lifestyle advice.

Just as significant, Alexander lessons offer practical training in self-observation and subtle behavioral change, allowing modulation of muscle tone that improves functioning.

Because people must continue applying what they learn to gain long-term benefit, both interventions are likely to be more suitable for those motivated to engage in self-care.

This view is supported by evidence showing that self-efficacy in pain management increased after acupuncture or Alexander lessons and was associated with lower pain scores sustained for more than 6 months after the intervention ended.

Further reading:

Many years ago I took lessons from an Alexander teacher on the "Alexander Technique".
It is a form of posture therapy that is popular among musicians and actors, since it is so important for their craft to maintain good posture.

But have you ever considered that body posture pertains not only to our bodies but also to our psyches – our feelings, our thoughts, even our energy bodies?

As I point out in Active Consciousness, the spiritual teacher G.I. Gurdjieff was well aware of the relationship between posture and the Self.

As he said, "Every race... every nation, every epoch, every country, every class, every profession, has its own definite number of postures and movements... A man is unable to change the form of his thinking or his feeling until he has changed his repertory of postures and movements."

Want to improve your self awareness? Correct your posture

Just to help you be more aware.

"Some people try to be tall by cutting off the heads of others."

– Paramhansa Yogananda

Most of us come across difficult personalities at some points in our lives.
These individuals may exist in our personal or professional environment.

Being cognizant of control tactics used by challenging people can make the difference between awareness versus ignorance, and mastery versus victimhood.

Below is a list of fifteen controlling tactics difficult people often use to maneuver others into positions of disadvantage, excerpted from my book: "How to Successfully Handle Aggressive, Intimidating, and Controlling People".

Not everyone who acts in the following manners may be deliberately trying to control you.
Some people simply have very poor habits.

Regardless, it's important to recognize these behaviors in situations where your rights, interests and safety are at stake.

1. Home Court and Time Dominance

An aggressive and controlling person may insist on you meeting and interacting in a physical space where he or she can exercise more dominance and control. This can be the aggressor's office, home, car, or other spaces where she feels ownership and familiarity (and where you lack them).

In addition, an aggressor may want to control the length of a meeting to her advantage, making it either excessively long to wear you down, or abruptly short to cut you off.

2. Making You Wait

Someone who deliberately makes you wait before you get to see him or her is utilizing a classic form of power play.
The message here is that his time is more important than yours, and by inference he's more important than you.

3. Power Differential in Furniture Set-Up

This usually happens when you enter someone's deliberately set-up power office, where she or he sits in a larger, adjustable "executive" chair, while you are given a smaller and sometimes unadjustable seat.

She also takes up and owns her table space, while you don't have any place to put your laptop, papers and pen.
The table might be used as a barrier to create physical, emotional, or psychological distance.

4. Deliberately Calling Your Name

Someone calling your name can be a form of power play, if it's done deliberately and strategically.
When someone's name is called, the speaker has the listener's attention.

The listener is more inclined to feel put on the spot, and compelled to respond with greater attentiveness.
Questions are more likely answered with greater care and detail.

5. Strength and Intimidation in Numbers

Some aggressors like to dominate a situation by having a number of associates or friends present to support her or his position.
The superior numbers alone may constitute an intimidating presence.

They can also back each other up and challenge you in turn during a proceeding.
In addition, they may also put pressure on you to make a decision before you're ready (a common car sales tactic).

At worst, the strength in numbers tactic may be used for direct or indirect
bullying or harassment.

6. Uncomfortable Formality

Some individuals like to deliberately make you feel uncomfortable and put you on the defensive by making the physical environment, their attire, their speech, and/or the proceeding uncomfortably formal.

This may be especially true if such demonstrations are a departure from their baseline (normal) behavior.
By being extra and sometimes unnecessarily formal, the aggressor tries to impress and intimidate psychologically, in order to extract advantages and concessions.

7. Physically Stand or Sit Uncomfortably Close To You to Intimidate/ Physically Using Height Advantage to Tower Over You and Intimidate

Some aggressors use their physical size and/or height to violate your physical space and intimidate.
By standing or sitting uncomfortably close to you, or standing and towering over you, they hope to achieve a sense of superiority and psychological dominance at your expense.

8. Overwhelm You with Procedures and Red Tape

Some people like to use bureaucracy - paperwork, procedures, laws and by-laws, committees, and other roadblocks to maintain their position and power, while making your life more difficult.

This technique can also be used to delay fact finding and truth seeking, hide flaws and weaknesses, and evade scrutiny.

9. Raising Their Voice and Displaying Negative Emotions

Some aggressors raise their voice during discussions as a form of intimidation.
The assumption may be that if they project their voice loudly enough, or display negative emotions, you'll submit to their coercion and give them what they want.

The aggressive voice is frequently combined with strong body language such as standing or excited gestures to increase impact.

10. Losing Patience and/or Threatening to Walkout

Similar to raising one's voice, losing patience and threatening to walk out are classic power play tactics to pressure a recipient to conform and give in.
The more attached (especially emotionally) the recipient is to the situation, the more likely this type of coercion can succeed.

11. Negative Humor Designed to Poke at Your Weaknesses and Disempower You

Some aggressors like to make critical remarks, often disguised as humor, to make you seem inferior and less secure.
Examples can include any variety of comments ranging from your appearance, to your older model smart phone, to your background and credentials, to the fact that you walked in two minutes late and out of breath.

By making you look bad, and getting you to feel bad, the aggressor hopes to impose psychological superiority over you.

12. Constantly Judge and Criticize You to Make You Feel Inadequate

Distinct from the previous behavior where negative humor is used as a cover, here the aggressor outright picks on you.
By constantly marginalizing, ridiculing, and dismissing you, she or he keeps you off-balance and maintains her superiority.

The aggressor deliberately fosters the impression that there's always something wrong with you, and that no matter how hard you try, you are inadequate and will never be good enough.

Significantly, the manipulator focuses on the negative without providing genuine and constructive solutions, or offering meaningful ways to help.

13. Giving You Little or No Time to Decide

This is a common sales and negotiation tactic, where the aggressor puts pressure on you to make a decision before you're ready.
By applying tension and control onto you, it is hoped that you will "crack" and give in to the aggressor's demands.

14. Giving You Multiple and Excessive Directives to Control You Behaviorally and Psychologically

This is often used by law enforcement to control someone's behavior.
It can also be used by individuals who are highly control-oriented in business, domestic, and other situations.

Excluding professions which may need this type of behavior to do their jobs (such as law enforcement, security, military, patient care, and risk-oriented activities), excessive and repeated control of someone's behavior without valid reason could be considered forms of bullying and abuse.

15. Threatening Unreasonable Consequence(s)

Some people try to intimidate by threatening any number of consequences that will fall upon you if you don't comply with their wishes.
The consequences may include (and are not limited) to those that are emotional, social, psychological, physical, professional, informational, financial, and legal.

If you find yourself dealing with a difficult individual, there are many strategies and skills you can utilize to help restore balance and respect.

(the author then goes on to try and sell his book, so I cut that out hehe)

What makes highly creative people different from the rest of us?
In the 1960s, psychologist and creativity researcher
Frank X. Barron set about finding out.

Barron conducted a series of experiments on some of his generation's most renowned thinkers in an attempt to isolate the unique spark of creative genius.

In a historic study, Barron invited a group of high-profile creators—including writers Truman Capote, William Carlos Williams, and Frank O'Connor, along with leading architects, scientists, entrepreneurs, and mathematicians—to spend several days living in a former frat house on the University of California at Berkeley campus.

The participants spent time getting to know one another, being observed by researchers, and completing evaluations of their lives, work, and personalities, including tests that aimed to look for signs of mental illness and indicators of creative thinking.

Barron found that, contrary to conventional thought at the time, intelligence had only a modest role in creative thinking.
IQ alone could not explain the creative spark.

The creative genius is "occasionally crazier and yet adamantly saner than the average person."
Instead, the study showed that creativity is informed by a whole host of intellectual, emotional, motivational and moral characteristics.

The common traits that people across all creative fields seemed to have in common were an openness to one's inner life; a preference for complexity and ambiguity; an unusually high tolerance for disorder and disarray; the ability to extract order from chaos; independence; unconventionality; and a willingness to take risks.

Describing this hodgepodge of traits, Barron wrote that the creative genius was "both more primitive and more cultured, more destructive and more constructive, occasionally crazier and yet adamantly saner, than the average person."

This new way of thinking about creative genius gave rise to some fascinating—and perplexing—contradictions.
In a subsequent study of creative writers, Barron and Donald MacKinnon found that the average writer was in the top 15% of the general population on all measures of psychopathology.

But strangely enough, they also found that creative writers scored extremely high on all measures of psychological health.

Creative-minded people seemed to find an unusual synthesis between healthy and "pathological" behaviors.
Why?

Well, it seemed that
creative people were more introspective.
This led to increased self-awareness, including a greater familiarity with the darker and more uncomfortable parts of themselves.

It may be because they engage with the full spectrum of life—both the dark and the light—that writers score high on some of the characteristics that our society tends to associate with mental illness.

Conversely, this same propensity can lead them to become more grounded and self-aware.
In openly and boldly confronting themselves and the world, creative-minded people seemed to find an unusual synthesis between healthy and "pathological" behaviors.

Such contradictions may be precisely what gives some people an intense inner drive to create.
As psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi said after more than 30 years of observing creative people: "If I had to express in one word what makes their personalities different from others, it's complexity. They show tendencies of thought and action that in most people are segregated. They contain contradictory extremes; instead of being an 'individual,' each of them is a 'multitude.'"

Today, most psychologists agree that creativity is multifaceted in nature.
And even on a neurological level, creativity is messy.

Contrary to the "right-brain" myth, creativity doesn't just involve a single brain region or even a single side of the brain. Instead, the creative process draws on the whole brain.
It's a dynamic interplay of many different brain regions, emotions, and our unconscious and conscious processing systems.

The brain's default mode network, or as we like to call it, the "imagination network," is particularly important for creativity.
The default mode network, first identified by neurologist Marcus Raichle in 2001, engages many regions on the medial (inside) surface of the brain in the frontal, parietal and temporal lobes.

We spend as much as half our mental lives using this network.'
It appears to be most active when we're engaged in what researchers call "self-generated cognition": daydreaming, ruminating, or otherwise letting our minds wander.

The functions of the imagination network form the core of human experience.
Its three main components are personal meaning-making, mental simulation, and perspective taking.

This allows us to construct meaning from our experiences, remember the past, think about the future, imagine other people's perspectives and alternative scenarios, understand stories, and reflect on mental and emotional states—both our own and those of others.

The imaginative and social processes associated with this brain network are also critical to developing compassion, as well as the ability to understand ourselves and construct a linear sense of self.

But the imagination network doesn't work alone.
It engages in an intricate dance with the brain's executive network, which is responsible for controlling our attention and working memory.

The executive network helps us focus our imagination, blocking out external distractions and allowing us to tune in to our inner experience.

The creative brain is particularly good at flexibly activating and deactivating these brain networks, which in most people are at odds with each other.
In doing so, they are able to juggle seemingly contradictory modes of thought—cognitive and emotional, deliberate and spontaneous.

This allows them to draw on a wide range of strengths, characteristics and thinking styles in their work.

Perhaps this is why creative people are so difficult to pin down.
In both their creative processes and their brain processes, they bring seemingly contradictory elements together in unusual and unexpected ways.

Carolyn Gregoire and Scott Barry Kaufman are the authors of Wired to Create: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Creative Mind.
We welcome your comments at ideas@qz.com.

12654166_10101119884075798_8068961810760903669_n.jpg

Reactions: Kgal
BTW…I have to say thanks for those who have stopped by my Etsy shop…it’s been doing quite well and now I’m having trouble finding interesting and strange things to stock it with.
Let me know if you have something bizarre or quirky you would like to possibly sell me!
@Jacobi once again….I don’t want your used gimp mask.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LovelyGarbage?ref=hdr_shop_menu

11222949_728004537330868_2898424313343894152_n.png

INTRODUCTION TO VIKTOR FRANKL'S LOGOTHERAPY

VIKTOR E. , MD, PhD (1905-1997)

A professor of both psychiatry and philosophy at the University of Vienna, Austria,

Dr. Frankl was the founder of logotherapy.
His logotherapy looks at our lives in a different way than most other psychotherapeutic theories.

It looks to the healthy spiritual core of man for resources of healing, instead of analyzing pathology ad infinitum.

Definition of the term logotherapy:

therapy through finding meaning (logos= meaning).

[The Greek term logos will be familiar to students of theology.
It is usually translated as the "Word" or "Will" of God in religious circles.

In a broader sense, it can be viewed as "that which gives reason for being." Frankl prefers the simple translation of logos as "meaning."]

Basic assumptions of logotherapy:

1. Life has meaning under all circumstances.

2. People have a will to meaning.

3. People have freedom under all circumstances to activate the will to meaning and to find meaning.

Dimensional ontology * image of man

The human being is an entity consisting of:

1. Body (soma)

2. Mind (psyche)

3. Spirit (noetic core)

This is an image of man, where the scientific and the philosophic views are combined. Frankl was a clinician as well as a philosopher!
Although we can experience sickness in the body and the psyche, the human spirit, our noetic core, remains healthy; however, access to that healthy core can be blocked.

Attributes of the noetic dimension:

1. Responsibility (not from, but responsibility to)

2. Authenticity and creativity

3. Choices

4. Values

5. Self-transcendence

6. Will to meaning

7. Love

8. Conscience

9. Ideals and ideas, etc....

How can we find meaning in life?

Frankl points to three ways * the "meaning triangle:"

1. Creativity (giving something to the world through self-expression: using our talents in various ways; i.e., the work we do, the gifts we give to life).

2. Experiencing (receiving from the world: through nature, culture, relationships, interactions with others and with our environment).

3. Change of attitude (even if we can't change a situation or circumstance, we can still choose our attitude toward a condition; this is often a self-transcending way of finding meaning, especially in unavoidable suffering).

The two levels of meaning in life

Viktor Frankl talks of two different meanings:

1. Ultimate meaning:
A meaning we can never reach but just glimpse at the horizon... It can be God, but also science as the search for truth, nature, and evolution for those who do not believe in God.

2. Meaning of the moment:
We have all the time to answer the questions life asks us and, therefore, it is important to understand the meaning of each moment by fulfilling the demands life places on us.

The demand quality of life

Logotherapy teaches that it is not we who can ask life, "WHY, WHY, WHY...?"
Rather, it is Life, who is the questioner.

We have to respond to Life's questions!
We answer to Life by listening for discernment of the meaning of the moment; then, by making responsible decisions within our available area of freedom.

Our choices will be based on our values and guidance received from the voice of our conscience.

The lack of meaning in life results in an existential vacuum

When life has no meaning, it becomes empty.
We live in what Frankl calls an "existential vacuum."

It is a state of inertia, boredom, and apathy experienced by many.
If this state persists, it progresses into existential frustration, and eventually becomes a "noogenic neurosis."

We try to fill the existential vacuum with drugs, violence, also with food, over-work, sports, etc., yet remain unfulfilled.

Noogenic neurosis

This state is what the DSM-IV refers to as "somatization disorder".
In about 20% of these cases, the maintaining cause of somatization disorder lies in the noetic level, not in the psycho-physical.

Noogenic neurosis can be the result of protracted existential vacuum or a conflict of values that result in conflicts in conscience.

The tragic triad

Since life is dynamic, we are faced all the time with elements of the tragic triad:

1. Unavoidable suffering

2. Guilt

3. Death

Here, usually the best way to find a meaning -- especially in a situation we cannot change -- is to change our attitude!

A new meaning will often dawn by doing so.

Helping people to find meaning

We are spirit.

Our healthy core lies in the noetic dimension, therefore, the medicine chest of logotherapy is to be found in the noetic dimension.
There, the "defiant power of the human spirit" has to be activated and brought to bear on current life situations to bring about the desired change that is healing or life-giving.

With the awareness that we are spirit, we recognize that what we have can be taken from us, but who we are, never!

We are unique.

There are always situations where we experience our uniqueness: in relationships, in creativity, etc, etc....
Maybe the painting we made is not a masterpiece, but it is ours!

We practice self-transcendence.

It is through transcending our previous limitations, striving toward a worthwhile goal, encountering other human beings that we find meaning and fulfillment in our lives.

We can change our attitude.

When faced with unavoidable suffering, we can often find meaning in the situation by looking at it in a different way; i.e., by courageously bearing what cannot be changed.

The tools of logotherapy

The main tool is the Socratic dialogue where the therapist and the client together try to find a meaning in life.
Meaning cannot be given, it must be discovered.

1. The first thing is to make the client realize that he is NOT A VICTIM of circumstances! He might have symptoms, but he IS NOT his symptoms.

2. Try to help client find a meaning within his "meaning triangle."

3. Make client independent of the therapist by helping him find his guidance within.

Conclusion

Logotherapy is Viktor Frankl's philosophy of life.
As such, it can be used in every profession and walk of life.

Today it is being used by educators, counselors, ministers, business managers, etc.
We can all use it in our daily life, when dealing with our family, friends or colleagues!

Accepting that our life (where we stand today) is a consequence of our choices made in the past, our future will consequently be shaped by the choices we make today!

Every day we have many possibilities from which to choose within our area of freedom.
We must choose the most responsible option; make the best choice, not only for ourselves, but also the people around us * then happiness and meaning fulfillment will ensue.

12187652_1172952069382436_8071328273543583322_n.jpg

In his younger days and before Sir Anthony Hopkins was an actor he was a professional musician.
He wrote this waltz but was always too afraid to hear it played...until now, 50 years later.
If find this fascinating that not only this person whom you wouldn't think would fear such things - did.
Not only that but after listening to it, his fears are absolutely unfounded.
What beautiful songs are contained in your heart that you are too afraid to share?
We need to trust ourselves or regret will always remain.

[video=youtube;8F3-eZ78ULY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8F3-eZ78ULY[/video]

Reactions: PintoBean

Some fear is rational, keeping us appropriately cautious in the face of dangerous animals, hot stoves and contagions that could make us ill.
But rational caution can turn to irrational panic about imagined terrors that are unlikely to occur or cause much actual damage if they did.

While we all face fears, phobias are intense fears that have become irrational.
Common phobias include fears of falling, injections, animals, blood and flying, and social phobia.

Suma Chand, Ph.D., associate professor in the department of psychiatry at Saint Louis University and a clinical psychologist, helps patients with phobias that have begun to overtake their lives.

"The time to address a fear is when you find that it is causing you a lot of distress and it is affecting your life in a significantly negative way," Chand said. "For example, many people fear snakes, which of course can be dangerous. But they are not preoccupied with this fear and they don't find that it is impairing their lives very much.

On the other hand, some people fear cats, which are unlikely to cause much harm.
They may find themselves regularly panicked by visits to friends' homes if they have cats and so begin avoiding such situations."

Exposure Therapy

Chand uses exposure therapy, small controlled steps that build gradual exposure to the fear-causing event, to counter the debilitating effect of these life-controlling terrors.

Studies exploring exposure exercises for people with phobias have demonstrated positive results, including changes in the brain.

"Functional brain imaging studies have actually found that exposure exercises bring about changes in brain activity," Chand said.
"We know this works. It is simple but effective."

Chand describes fear as a trap that shrinks your world as you rearrange your life to avoid the thing that you are afraid or phobic of.

"The more you feed it, the stronger it grows," Chand says.
"Fear traps people. Fear puts you in a box. Your world gets smaller and smaller.

"After a while, you're avoiding the discomfort of the fear itself, rather than the thing you fear. When you avoid the things you fear you feel safe and comfortable and you don't want to do anything that will shake this safe cocoon of comfort. However you pay a heavy price – your freedom to live your life like the way you really want to live."

Exposure therapy combined with cognitive restructuring is the way out.

Fear of Falling

For older people, fear of falling is a common concern.
While this can begin as a rational fear, it can grow irrational over time.

"I saw an elderly lady who had a fall and broke her hip," Chand said.
"It was very traumatic for her.

After she recovered, she didn't want this experience to repeat itself.
She became very cautious and avoided walking anywhere where there was a possibility for falling.

Although the fear had initially translated into rational attempts to exercise caution it turned into avoidance as she went overboard with being cautious.
The avoidance made her feel safe but caused her fear to grow.

She stopped going to the store, the mall and to yoga, all of which she had enjoyed.
Her social interactions became restricted as she began to stay home more, and avoided her favorite activities, because she was overly fearful about falling.

She began to feel low and hopeless as she saw her isolated, limited existence stretch ahead of her.

While the treatment is to face the fear, it is done in a manner that does not overwhelm the patient.
The graded approach made this patient feel less overwhelmed and also more willing to face her fear.

Once she began to attain success in facing her fear and recognized that what she feared was not happening, it was like a switch was turned on, and she went faster.

Soon, she was fine and back to her old activities again."

Social Anxiety

Another common source of fear is social anxiety.
Some people long to have friends or find a partner, but are trapped by their worry, Chand says.

"With a social phobia, people have lots of fearful thoughts about the possible outcomes," Chand said.
"They'll think 'No one will talk to me, I'll look foolish, he or she will not like me, I will have a horrible time.'

All of these thoughts dictate your behavior.
You are believing those thoughts and you are breathing life into your fears and making them real.

Start challenging those thoughts.

I had a patient who had social phobia which was exacerbated in certain social situations more than others.
The physical sensations of anxiety made her feel even more uncomfortable and self-conscious in such situations and she dealt with her fear by avoiding the triggering situations.

She was particularly anxious about going on dates since the idea of her date recognizing her anxiety and knowing what she was experiencing horrified her. 'I would rather die than face such an embarrassing situation,' she said.

However what she longed to do was to find someone with whom she could have a committed relationship leading to marriage and a family.
Realizing the irony of her situation was a first step to help her move towards getting out of her self-built trap.

I asked her to look at her choices.
If she were to choose to step into the situations she feared in gradual stages there's a chance that she would realize her dreams.

However if she were to opt for the choice to avoid them she was guaranteed that nothing would change.
The good news is that she opted to face her fears and challenge her fearful thoughts.

Today she is dating someone and they are well on their way to a long term relationship."

It's about developing a plan of action and putting it into play, Chand says.

Suma Chand, Ph.D., associate professor in the department of psychiatry at Saint Louis University and a SLUCare clinical psychologist.

However, this is where patients need additional professional help to develop and sharpen their social skills and learn strategies to help regulate their anxiety as they face their fears.

It helps people feel more empowered as they step into the arena to fight their fear.

Easier Said Than Done

While facing the fear is the way to get past it, Chand says a patient with a phobia would probably say that this is easier said than done.

"Facing one's fears is not easy," Chand said. "However having a professional who is in your corner and guiding you with an evidence based treatment is what will help.

Talking to a professional can give people more confidence and help them find a way.
Fear goes hand in hand with avoidance.

It's a natural tendency.
You do it not only physically but also mentally.

You don't want to think or talk about it.
But, once you come in for help, you are thinking and talking about the issue in a constructive helpful way."

Finally, while fear may seem all-consuming in the moment, it will not last forever.

"The most reassuring thing I can say to anyone about fear is this:
All emotions change.

You will never stay in a panicky state for the rest of your life.
Persevere, and the fear will dissolve."