Morgain

defective wisdom
Donor
Aug 20, 2009
MBTI
INFJ again
Enneagram
4w5
I came across this MBTi writer. She has written her book around the testimonials off people who are a clear example of there type. By this she doesn't built up her theory on her own perception (and therefore not always unbiased) ont he type but she let tell the people themselves in there own words what it is to be them and that I think is a interesting way of getting to know the types much better

for everyone who is interested, a part of her descriptions are written on this site
http://www.bestfittype.com/infp.html

Reactions: enfp can be shy
I actually have the book that that description comes from. I like Linda Berens's approach because it is integrative and holistic. She asks you to read descriptions about what it's like being each of the 16 types to see which one you most identify with. Of course, being that it is rather anectodal, it does have some considerable downsides to it for those who want to delve further. I'd really only recommend it for someone who is having difficulty figuring out their own type, rather than for typing others or learning more about what it means to be a specific type.

this is a compilation on how each type interacts with others in a work context, written in there won words. It is very interesting!
for me reading testimonials in there own "language" makes it much easier to place myself in there shoes. And also to type people in my environment because I have this reaction "oh god, this guy talks exactly like my collegue at work" :D

ESTP said:
I am totally a people person. Working through people is the way to get things done. All of my energy, fun, and most uplifting experiences are focused around people

ESFP said:
love talking to people. Making and having friends is gratifying, and I value my friendships. People see me as someone they can tell something to and not just as boring or average. Somehow I charm people, and I am very genuine in my interest. I observe the game of life, and a lot of times it’s about being open and observant on my part. Whenever I find things getting heavy, I say something light to make everyone laugh again. I am offended when things are impersonal and harsh. Some people are so serious and many people feel guilty about having fun. Fun is important because I can get more work done in a few hours than most people do in a whole day. My biggest contribution is in just listening to what people are trying to do, probing and pushing and mirroring back to them what I hear they’re saying.

ISFP said:
I’m reserved when I first meet people, but I am friendly, warm, and outgoing once I’ve gotten to know someone. I really enjoy listening to people, hearing other people’s stories and learning about them. I remember a lot of the details. I ask a lot of questions and like the challenge of recognizing where people are coming from and why they might be coming from that perspective. I love the give and take of conversations. I really feel thrilled and excited learning from that intellectual energy combined with that emotional energy. It gives me a sense of the person. In any situation, I love the give and take, the playfulness and energy, the excitement and a little bit of competition, a little bit of one-upsmanship. But when it becomes abrasive and people personally attack others, I’m offended.

ESTJ said:
Planning is challenging and exciting. I make sure others have what they need, not just what they want. I believe you can build leadership by giving people genuine responsibility and genuine recognition,

ISTJ said:
I find myself duty bound sometimes and find that I do things because of what’s expected of me. People can trust and count on me, and I am very dependable, almost to a fault. I strive to keep balance between work and home, and if I’m going to provide for my family I’m going to have to swallow some things at work. When I see families that really want to be together, that’s a relationship that those people worked at for many years to achieve. Being a friend means caring enough about an individual to call them to see how they are doing, and if I can see someone has held true to their word, then they’ve probably gained my trust. If you were to ask me to define the word love, you would get responses like caring, responsibility, and loyalty..

ESFJ said:
n my personal life, friends are important, and being a good friend and having good friends I can depend on makes life a pleasure and a joy. Long-lasting friendships or new ones—I generally care about others and they sense that. Maybe I care too much sometimes, but I want to listen to their background and rationale of why they did something. Part of me wants to tell them the answer right away, but sometimes people just want someone to listen. When I have a problem I bounce it off of people I respect and take into account how others involved will be affected. It can be difficult to take a hard line when people are going to be slighted, but sometimes I have to go through a lot of conflict, do what I must, and step on some toes. But I don’t like conflict.

ISFJ said:
I consider myself adaptable to anyone. I feel that a lot of people think I am a nice person, and because I was always there for them in the past and willing to help, they try to take advantage of me. But as long as you are doing something okay with your life, then you are okay with me.
I need acknowledgment from people who I really care about. Compliments can be embarrassing face to face, though. A paycheck is nice recognition too. I like a day when everything works really well, when I get a lot done, people respond very positively and there is a lot of laughter. I have an unusual sense of humor, and I like laughter.

ENTJ said:
My response to making a mistake is, “Did you learn anything? If so, great, it was worth it, and don’t make the same mistake again.” This kind of critiquing is easy for me, and I admire—and like to have around me—people who have a real, genuine concern for others and who see the positives. But then there is a time when I sit back and say people have to get on board with the way I see things because it’s the right way to go. It took me a while to learn the value of cutting people some slack.

INTJ said:
fact. I will integrate the experience and never make the same mistakes again. I am satisfied when things work well, and I like to improve people’s lives by reorganizing and introducing things in an understandable way that is explicit and clear and makes sense.

ENTP said:
Ideas mean change. When I meet people who have interesting ideas, talents, or projects, I want to get to know them and help them make whatever they want to do possibly much bigger, more successful, or more impactful than they had intended. I start aligning with them and building trust because I want to get invited in—to probably change whatever they want to do because I tend to see more possibilities. Then we cook up the project. It’s fun to learn. I enjoy that in-the-moment experience of connecting things in my mind. Challenge and intellectual stimulation get me excited.

INTP said:
I can be seen as too unfeeling, too quick to start into work with not enough basis laid out for the day, and I’m not much for the personal amenities or socializing. Yet it is important that others are aware they are important to me. It’s not the first thing, but it’s in my awareness. I tend to try solving personal problems all by myself. Then sometimes I wind up without accurate information from others or about how it will affect others. I believe there must be an answer or a solution if I can just figure it out.

ENFJ said:
I am empathic. I just get a feeling about people. It’s difficult to explain. I have the gift of being able to relate and meaningful communication is a major piece of my life and a major vehicle for growth. I’m good at working with people to improve their behavior and their lives. I’m described as someone who cares, who has an uncanny sense for knowing what others need or what they are about. When I talk to people I’m listening for their stories and their concerns and I experience the joy or stress with them. I remember what’s uniquely descriptive of that individual, and I am good at giving praise and pointing out the gifts they bring to their world

INFJ said:
Inspiring others, helping them find their purpose or meaning, being a different kind of leader from what’s traditional—that’s really gratifying. I just do that naturally. The challenge is opening up people’s minds to have their own original thoughts. I’m a listener and guide.

ENFP said:
I have to be directly in contact with people and know that somehow I am influencing what happens for them in a positive way. That is a kind of driving force in my life, actualizing potential, giving encouragement, letting people know what I think they can do. I have been told I have this uncanny ability to absolutely zero in on and intuit what people need. I sometimes recognize something about them that they have not said to anybody else. And they say, “How did you know?”

INFP said:
I’m concerned about how others feel when they are around me. Lack of honesty or ethics or integrity in interactions—when someone is saying one thing but doing another—really puts me off. So does when someone doesn’t honor, or accept as valid, my communication or feeling as I try to talk to them about something that matters to me. And I don’t need to talk about myself. I don’t enjoy it. Sometimes I’m frustrated trying to communicate, and sometimes a metaphor or a joke or a story is a way to effectively express myself so what I’m saying can be heard by someone who hears or experiences things differently.

The INFP description is ok. I am concerned how others feel when I am around them... even when it has nothing to do with me or they don't even know I'm paying attention.. and the concern is insignificant.
I am occasionally overcome with feelings of warmth and caring and well-wishing for strangers and I couldn't even tell you what brings those on.

I despise inconsistency and hypocrisy in myself and others.. but I use metaphors and sarcasm to veil myself when I'm expected to give an answer I don't feel like sharing.

This is great, thank you, Morgain! Here is also some self-description of an ISTP:
ISTP said:
I like flexibility in what I do. Fun means something that interests me. Organized things don’t come to me easily, but I can do them. I’ve always found ways to make things fun. It’s a game to make sure you can come to the next point where you have freedom again There’s something insincere about doing something just because of somebody or something else. What I do has to make sense, have impact. I cannot stand just busy work. It has to be meaningful. I have an incredible amount of enthusiasm and passion for certain things that I do and want to see done.

I think I relate to all the NFP/STJ to some extent. Or rather, I see very very well the point of INFP and ESTJ the same way they do, but would not emphasize it the same way, and probably approach it indirectly, by metaphors and such.

Last edited:
ISTP said:
I like flexibility in what I do. Fun means something that interests me. Organized things don

i was kinda meh about the intp one until i got to the last sentence:

I believe there must be an answer or a solution if I can just figure it out.

that's totally me.

Berens is definitely one of my favorites. I have most of the books from the Best Fit type series. If you're ever not sure of type and you've gone too far in the morass of overkill, they're good basic books to have.

Now, are they complete? I don't think so, because i think they do raise some dichotomies. But the book can help you explore more if you ever feel "between" one or more types.