Like a dream | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Like a dream

I just feel like I'm not in the same world that everyone else is in. It seems like something I can see very obviously.

I have a proposed simple explanation: maybe everyone who posted here is just crazy.

Haha, that is a perfect quote. I work 3rd shift so my sleep-schedule hasn't really existed for the past three years. I do spend a lot of the time in a "fog", not full losing feeling, but not all there. When I get a couple nights off and actually sleep, the world seems completely different, and more there.

Where do you think your "dream" like feelings are coming from?

I think they are coming from not interacting with the outside world enough. I think this dream feeling (assuming it's not stemming from a disorder) tends to be an INxx thing, because we prefer to live in our minds and imaginations, whereas S types are fully in their five senses most of the time.

I think they are coming from not interacting with the outside world enough. I think this dream feeling (assuming it's not stemming from a disorder) tends to be an INxx thing, because we prefer to live in our minds and imaginations, whereas S types are fully in their five senses most of the time.
Interesting. I was thinking along the same lines. Not that I could ever prove it, but I'd wager that like you say, not interacting enough with the outside world could lead to some of these feelings. I don't know to what magnitude, but I'd tend to agree with you.

@subwayrider I do not have schizophrenia. I do have bipolar 1, which can cause what I'm feeling. I think this meaning sums it up pretty well for me.

Depersonalization (or depersonalisation) is an anomaly of the mechanism by which an individual has self-awareness. It is a feeling of watching oneself act, while having no control over a situation.[1] Sufferers feel they have changed, and the world has become less real, vague, dreamlike, or lacking in significance. It can be a disturbing experience, since many feel that, indeed, they are living in a "dream". Chronic depersonalization refers to depersonalization disorder, which is classified by the DSM-IV as a dissociative disorder. Though degrees of depersonalization and derealization can happen to anyone subject to temporary severe anxiety/stress, chronic depersonalization is more related to individuals who have experienced a severe trauma or prolonged stress/anxiety. Depersonalization-derealization is the single most important symptom in the spectrum of dissociative disorders, including dissociative identity disorder and "dissociative disorder not otherwise specified" (DD-NOS). It is also a prominent symptom in some other non-dissociative disorders, such as anxiety disorders, clinical depression, bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, migraine and sleep deprivation. It can be considered desirable, such as in the use of recreational drugs.

I get this a lot when I am going through periods of severe anxiety. I have had instances where I have walked into traffic without realizing there was traffic when I get in this state. That's probably a more severe case for me.

Mine tends to vary throughout the day. Sometimes I can't even feel myself typing. Although I know I'm doing it. Or, holding a glass and not realizing my grip on it. Feels like it should fall out of my hand. Talking to someone and their words blur into jibberish and I have to focus on them. Curiosity of touching something cold/hot, human touch, grass.. Sometimes I feel it, sometimes I don't. Sitting in a room where alot of talking is going on and feeling like I'm watching a movie. Going about my day but not physically being there. Yeah.. I need to get a grip on reality... Feels... weird. But interesting. Yeah, I'm just weird. :mlight:

"The Extroverted Sensation (Se) function is associated with a vivid perception of the world, taking into account details that others may miss. Se is about being closely tuned to the world around you, and that usually translates into following 'gut impulses' and taking great pleasure in physical action. Those with weak Se may sometimes feel 'disconnected' from the world around them."

Last edited:
Follow the white rabbit.

I feel it every time there's an anti-social or excessively narcissistic personality in the room. It's like I don't exist anymore and I can feel my consciousness slipping away.

Follow the white rabbit.

I like entertaining different theories that often present themselves in the form of movies, yes. Idk. I don't know if anyone will ever really know.

Reality is too much, sometimes.

Isn't this called "dissociating"? I used to feel as though the physical world wasn't real, like it was all holograms, and that the only thing that was real was myself. That was like a couple years ago. Nowadays I don't really dissociate. I'm pretty associated with reality for the most part. Hmmm... I think I've become a dirty sensor.

Ya that's how I tend to feel a lot, it makes me think that I'm somewhere else dreaming this and this life is just a test, helping me for when I'm real I guess, ment to get me ready for earth. I know it sounded weird but hay what'cha gunna do :)

I recently went through this feeling a few days ago. I've experienced it before, and I'll experience it again. It's a sort of feeling of disconnect that you can't quite define. It tends to come in waves. But I've found that once I've felt that, it always stays in the back of my mind and I can never fully "reconnect" again.

yes like you're an accidental actor in a movie you have no script for.

I guess I've experienced something similar, I used to get it before a panic attack though (so mines probably a bit different). Something just seemed off, and at times I would fear it, and begin to panic about it... I would feel as though I was losing my mind. Everything was normal, but it wasn't... something was definitly off. I can't describe it that well - but when I've experienced it for long enough periods I feel like I'm going crazy (or on the verge of losing it).

yes like you're an accidental actor in a movie you have no script for.

That's how this entire life feels, honestly. Like we're all just characters on a big stage. I'm coming more and more to that conclusion lately.

Reactions: JGirl
That's how this entire life feels, honestly. Like we're all just characters on a big stage. I'm coming more and more to that conclusion lately.

i have felt this way since i was 4 yrs old or so. i attributed it to my sense of separateness from other people - my different-ness was extremely evident to me as a very small child. i tended to watch how everyone else interacted, as i would actors on a stage, and took my cues from that on how i was supposed to be.
i still have many moments where things take on that surreal feeling. even when i'm alone.
it's nice to know someone else can relate to it.

Reactions: endersgone
isn't that how everyone learns how to act at first?

i don't think so...
how you are supposed to be might not be all that clear as a child, and it is not necessarily how you are, or that you understand the reasoning behind it. i copied people so that i could blend in.

i don't think so...
i copied people so that i could blend in.

I've always felt that way, but the blending can be enjoyable... if you find a good person/group of people. There are very few people who know the "real me", if I can still call it that... I'm not even sure there is a "real me" anymore.

Reactions: JGirl