shannishannon

Saponifier
Donor
Feb 1, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
Just pondering this as my boss makes another ill fated pass at persuading me to take on the job of Team Leader on my nursing unit. Other than the fact I really do clash with my boss on most issues, like a lot of INFJ's I avoid conflict/confrontation like the plague. This job would involve-well, a lot of that.

So when forced to take a leadership role, I have been told
that I do a good job and am effective. But it does take an
ENORMOUS amount of mental energy. This leadership stuff does not come naturally.

For myself, I tend to lead primarily through example first,
that is, allow people to be adult and responsible about their work so I don't have to intervene; second- through consultation and consensus among team members, then third- if no results from the above- direct delegation of tasks, my least favorite, and most likely to lead to conflict
and confrontation.

How do other INFX do the leadership thing?

I actually like being a leader some times although I get burned out too and need an escape. From my experiences in nursing it seems like a stressful job and it uses you up at times. One of the reasons I wanted to be a wound care nurse was I felt like I could be helping people directly and you get to see the same patients over and over. Still kicking around the idea of being a wound care nurse, with all the lay offs now is not the time for me. As far as conflict goes it seems to me it's usually one person thinking that they are better than you or maybe they know more than you, and they think you should take their words as facts. It's when you show them they are wrong that it gets interesting to me. It really shows you who they are... I could never work with of for someone I don't respect...

I feel energized when I am in a leadership posistion, and usually have fun with it. However, when I AM the leader, I become unconfortable. I have been forced into a leadership posistion this year (VP of QSA), and next year I am being forced to be the president of QSA, which I sort of don't want to do. I have been told I am a good leader, but I doubt it.

I love leadership positions...or atleast a position where i'm not bossed around and i get to do my own thing. I like to be in charge cause i believe that everything i know is right, and how it is supposed to come out is right, do it my way or the highway. lol

Thanks for the answers. Now to try some new ways of evading my boss.

People kind of think I'm a natural leader; I've been to tons of conferences and have had leadership positions in clubs for years.

Honestly, it's a lot of work, and, although I like having the control to get things done, I kind of prefer giving counsel and advice on a situation and have someone else do all the authoritative bossing around.

I think the best leaders are reluctant ones.

I've been in an intense leadership position. I don't know if half the people ever respected me either, but I guess it was alright because they did what I said.

I think INFJs can be great leaders, but we go for the cause, usually because others are failing or destroying the cause.

The style is probably more of a strong-silent type leadership than anything. Just make sure that you acknowledge the good in people as well as the mistakes that they are making. Being INFJ allows for good understanding of situations, but you have to conscientiously employ mental effort.

Speaking of which, I usually only lead when no one else wants to.
I also become more extroverted amongst shy people.

Kind of like those fish that change genders when it gets imbalanced...

Minus the fish metaphor, I do the same thing. I am usually the quiet person (and many extroverts make a point of telling me so), but when I get in a group of other quiet people, I become the talking one. I honestly prefer a balance, but it is hard depending on the situation and people involved.

I feel energized when I am in a leadership posistion, and usually have fun with it. However, when I AM the leader, I become unconfortable. I have been forced into a leadership posistion this year ... which I sort of don't want to do. I have been told I am a good leader, but I doubt it.

Once again I concur with IndigoSensor. I don't like being THE leader that everything hinges upon. I do like leadership positions, but I very much want someone above me as well - for feedback, constructive criticism, encouragement, etc. After multiple instances of forced leadership, I've found that I really do enjoy it. But if there's competent leadership already, I much more prefer to follow and help the existing leader. I lead from behind the scenes whenever possible. :)

I love to lead! As long as it's for a short period of time. I kinda also like to be in a position of power where leadership is bestowed upon me and I become the "benevolant boss".