Ladies! Don't imitate stupid men! | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Ladies! Don't imitate stupid men!

They seem to have a handle on some of the reasons behind the increase in women arrested DUI, but they didn't identify a reason that the numbers are decreasing for men. Women taking on more external stress and police being more willing to make the arrest mid-day with kids in the car are important reasons. The decrease for men is important to examine to see if we can accomplish more of that. People willing to put their own children at risk are calloused to an extent that it is difficult to know how to get through to them. DUI's are a problem where I live. Publishing the names of DUI arrests in the paper is common in the U.S., and from what I understand about where I live now, they come in to make the official arrest at the person's place of employment the next day.

For some reason it never set in my mind as a gender issue. I remember back in the '80's when various movies and media made DUI look cute and adventurous. That always exasperated me. It usually showed teenagers of both genders from what I remember.

I think it's one of those "hidden" problems, Julia - the ones people don't like talking about or dealing with. If someone gets to the point where they seriously justify drunk driving with their *kids* in the car, they're way past the point of rational thought. I would hope, for their sake (and the sake of all lives around them) that they would get busted before anyone gets killed.

But people don't like thinking about women with problems, either...not problems like this. They prefer believing that a mother will defend and protect her children no matter what, and seeing this and hearing this somehow brings chills down my spine. It feels worse, somehow, that the protective and loving mother ideal is slowly being chipped away, and it brings to mind the callousness (as you said) of a world gone wrong.

It used to be that you imagined the mother being the more sensitive, caring parent. Now? Neither one cares for their young the way they should. And that's such a shame.

I remember seeing a late 1970s movie (a comedy) where the men were totally drunk but driving their car home after a night on the town. I was appalled. But it still absolutely floors me that anyone would get behind the wheel of a vehicle after having more drinks than are safe. After two drinks within an hour, IMO, we *all* need to check ourselves. We might think we're okay, but it takes an hour for one ounce of alcohol to process out of our systems. And the effects of alcohol change depending on one's gender and body type.

But in short, no one can "hold their liquor." That's a sad, sad myth.

When I was a kid, I had to ride around with my alcoholic parents.... almost ... every... day.

God, I can't believe I'm alive. My mom got into a few bad accidents, but not when I was in the car. When I became an adult, I refuse to go in the car with them anywhere. So I haven't for 10 years.

*shudder* I feel bad for the kids who don't have a choice; who are probably scared and embarrassed like I was.

Reactions: arbygil
Ah, alcohol. The socially acceptable hard drug. *thumbs up*

I don't understand why marijuana is illegal while alcohol is. I don't drink and I don't smoke weed, but it just seems logical. They could legalize it, tax it, and make some gov't revenue from it... but I'm very ignorant when it comes to marijuana so maybe I'm missing something here...

I think women have been drinking for years, but maybe just hiding it more.

I agree with you. Women hid the booze in the laundry hamper, like Sissy Spacek, the mom in the movie 'Blast From The Past'. Women had a more stringent public image they had to meet.

You realize how many revolutions there would be if people didn't have hard alcohol?

Revolution or not, DUI's and alcohol abuse are a major problem in this country. Not to mention how alcohol fuels domestic abuse and other crimes.

You realize how many revolutions there would be if people didn't have hard alcohol?

Americans are too pussy to revolt these days. Life is too easy. They will just gather in a group with a fancy name get some camera time for a day and think the war is won. There is no follow through and Americans are not willing to cause collateral damage or social disorder.

At most they will have some home brew made and then go to jail for being publicly intoxicated.

how is drunk driving gender specific? drinking is a very common pastime for everyone, and so is driving.