Kindle new book reading tool. | INFJ Forum

Kindle new book reading tool.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Roger, Jan 3, 2010.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
More threads by Roger
  1. Roger

Roger ...

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    -
    Introducing Kindle

2. Top cat

Top cat Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    ?
    Perhaps I'll get this this year
    I have been spending all of my time reading e-books lately

I like the non-reflective screen and lighting. I hope it doesn't have a fan
    Weird it doesn't say if it's 8 GB or what, exact size it can store...

Thanks Roger

3. Skoffin

Skoffin <font color=#00EE99>She Whose Name We Do Not Speak

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    I get that it would be tremendously handy and convenient but... if the world ever does end up replacing books near entirely in favour of these types of devices I will die inside.

I likes my mountain o' books.
    :mcute:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Shai Gar

Shai Gar Guest

I prefer my mountain of books too. What do you do if the batteries run out, and there's a cyclone? You're stranded and your kindle won't turn on...

5. Celsius100

Celsius100 Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
  6. midnightmelody

midnightmelody nagging for truth

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    As much as I would like for charming and vintage (books, vintage...scary thought) things to stay, it would be pointless to try to stop inevitable technological "advances" such as this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    I guess it would be cool to get one, but i agree with those who say, even if i don't read them, i like seeing mountains of books, it makes me feel more inspired to be around them, to see heaps of knowledge scattered all over the place.

8. arbygil

arbygil Passing through

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    There's something about having a fully stocked bookshelf full of your favorite dog-eared classics, and there's something about going into a library or used bookstore where you can adopt a book, or find a book to adopt you.

Kindles and other brands like it (there's more than one e-book reader now) are okay, but they're not my thing. If I can't sit in silence and hear the rustle of pages in tandem to the sound of a loud ticking clock, then I can't get into the "moment" of the book - and it's not "real" reading to me.

Besides, a Kindle is black and white. What would I do with my graphic novel collection?!:m129:

9. Morpheus

Morpheus Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    I will never buy, or indeed, even use one of those, if I can avoid it. Reading from a screen is just evil. Now, I am not usually a conservative person, not in the slightest. But I love my books: the way they feel and the way they smell. Also, bookshelves are too cool to be replaced by that thing.

10. Entyqua

Entyqua Forgotten
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INF
    Enneagram:
    messed up
    Ok...so the device...no I dont think i will ever buy it...however...Kindle for Iphone is an excellent app...first of all its free...second of all...you can get loads of free books...I too love to have a pile of books...love to smell them...I love to spend HOURS in a book store...

but I also love it when I can get the complete works of HP lovecraft for 99 cents! just sayin...

11. MindYourHead

MindYourHead Courage doesn't always roar.

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Extensive reading off an electronic screen is tiring on these 48 year old eyes.
    I often will pull something up on a computer, then print it out to read.
    For some of us there is no substitute for the written word on a paper substrate. The feel, the smell of the ink, and perhaps musty smell from an older book. The sound of the binding cracking when opened new.

I read a newspaper everyday. I wouldn't dream of trying to read it online.
    It just is not the same.
    For me that is.

:)

12. SoWhat

SoWhat One

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INxJ
    Have one and LOVE IT! It was a gift. I had been one to swear I'd never use such a device. To disspell a few misconceptions: As for the battery issue, it can go two weeks without being recharged. As for the screen issue, it's not a computer screen. Doesn't resemble it at all. It's called e-ink, very easy on the eyes, actually more-so than print, and you can adjust the font size.

Still love my print books, but I see a bright future for these things co-existing, and because of cost and delivery I always see if a book is available in electronic format first.