Is Feminism Outdated? | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Is Feminism Outdated?

Solanas was mentally ill so I don't think you could really use her as a good example of a feminist. It's like saying that James Holmes, the Aurora theater shooter, is a good example of a neuroscience student. In any case the SCUM Manifesto was written int 1967 and Solanas died in 1988 so it's not exactly an example of anything current in feminism.

@muir , you would probably actually agree with a lot of what Solanas said in her Manifesto. She was an anarchist and had some pretty similar views about how to improve the world as you do, the difference is that she put all the emphasis on men being the ones messing up the world and it makes sense since in those days they had all the power (I would say it's mostly men who have the power now still).

Men had all the power huh?

So that male street sweeper that used to sweep the street you live on back in the 1950's...when he was down pushing the dust and detritus around the tarmac he would get a bus to manhatten and then he would join all the other men of the world in a big council where they would decide economic policy and how they were going to maintain their cohesive grip over women?

Reactions: the
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking there?

What I'm asking is why should a woman wanting equal rights, mean that a men are losing or being negatively impacted?

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking there?

Women getting work place eqality most definately has impacted on both men and women

It has doubled the number of potential emplyees in the work place for the fat cats to choose from thereby driving down wages so that nowadays instead of only one of the couple having to work both partners have to work

On top of that children are not getting the care they need which is what the fat cats want because they want the children raised by the state as much as possible (so that they can be influenced by the values of the state)

Men and women working more, children brought up by the state or the TV

But the point i was making about women tryign to pull themselves up by their bootstraps is that they are always going to be measuring themselves against men when they do that....so the reality is that it becomes a competition

Tell me....can you think of any competition you know of where the aims of the game is to draw level with your opponent and then stop there so that you both draw?

I can't.....all competitions are about beating your opponent

And what happens when your neighbour becomes disgruntled? Tensions and conflicts

I dunno. I like you a lot muir, but what I'm reading here is that women should stay at home, look after the kids, and men should work. I'm not sure if this is what I'm suppose to get out of it, because that doesn't sound like you.

So that male street sweeper that used to sweep the street you live on back in the 1950's...when he was down pushing the dust and detritus around the tarmac he would get a bus to manhatten and then he would join all the other men of the world in a big council where they would decide economic policy and how they were going to maintain their cohesive grip over women?

This is classism. One thing for sure, he had more power than his wife.

No, feminism is not outdated because feminism does not revolve around the United States, but the entire world. There are many feminists sticking up for girls and women who have had no education due to religious practices and strict patriarchal societies - for example Malala Yousafzai.

In the United States, while many women are from the middle-upper class, they are speaking for everyone - women in the future. For example, abortion is heavily promoted by feminists today.

Yes, that is the point that people who criticize feminism in developed countries seem to forget, that most women in the world are still second class citizens in their country. That's why I call myself a feminist because I stand in solidarity with all the women in the world because the only difference between them and myself is the luck of the draw as to where we were born. Why would I sit back and say that the battle for equality has been won just because I have it when so many don't?

Idiotic questions, and total missinterpretation of what I just wrotte.
Are all feminists as dumb as you are, dear?
Hope you won't find this "quite offensive".

I would love for you to answer my first question: what does equality between the sexes mean to you?

Judging by your standards of men and women, my penis is 3 times as large as yours.

I didn't say all the men had power but that the people in power were men (and still are in the great majority the ones who have the most power as in the government and business leaders). There's a big difference in meaning between the two.

What I'm asking is why should a woman wanting equal rights, mean that a men are losing or being negatively impacted?

I dunno. I like you a lot muir, but what I'm reading here is that women should stay at home, look after the kids, and men should work. I'm not sure if this is what I'm suppose to get out of it, because that doesn't sound like you.

Why do you not consider child care to be work?

I think some people under-estimate the power of language

I think most people these days would argue that women should have equal say in the decision making in society and an equal ability to express themselves and pursue opportunity eg education and work

But the key word there is 'equal'.

To say that men and women are totally the same and that any differences are simply culturally programmed and existing only in the mind is...well...frankly insane

There are physical differences between men and women which will also have implications for behaviour and the shaping of culture

There are also certain physical dynamics regarding the sexual apparatus of men and women with the male sexual organ generally being used in a more active way during sex and the female sex organ generally being used in a more passive way during sex

Now sure that's not always the case and i'm sure most guys love it when the woman climbs on top and does some of the work! ...

Wow, that was quite a post. I abbreviated it because it was very long. Very interesting thoughts on here, especially about sexual apparatus lol. I have a suggestion, how about every individual person, man or woman, be allowed to be who they are with their own personal preferences for mates and not be lumped as a group where 'all men' or 'all women' are expected to behave in a certain way or judged harshly if they don't fit into a certain expected norm. Personally I believe that we should do whatever we want as long as it doesn't hurt another human being and I do not judge a man or a woman for their personal preferences or choices in behaviour again as long as it causes no harm. Wouldn't that be nice?

Yes, upper class white women did live like royalty, and have often had it a lot better than lower class and minority women. But just because you live in a fancy house, and have money, doesn't mean you're living a life of freedom.

That goes both ways....who says the men felt any better than the women did?

The idea that women have power because they're influencing their husbands is just as disempowering as saying all feminists want a penis.

Woah don't play the penis card here...i haven't :)

I'm tryign to make a point that Farrell is making

He is asking us to think outside the box in terms of how we define power

So what he has found is that women when they earn a certain amount of money tend to then put the brakes on their careers in order to get a better balance from life for example balancing work with family, exercise, interests, sprituality whatever

Men are more likely to focus on work.

So which one is more empowered? Which is being smarter out of the two? The women are

So lets say that a man in history was coming home to his wife who then influenced him he would then have to go out and do whatever job that was his occupation. The woman dealt with the boredom and limitations of managing the household and the man dealt with the unpleasantness of whatever job he was doing

Before the industrial revolution that would most likely involve back breaking labour on the land. After the industrial revolution it would likely involve back breaking work in a factory or down the pit...what a great life!

So you need to keep things in perspective....think about what it is that most men were doing with their so called 'freedom'. Most men were every bit as trapped by the system as women were and for most of history there has been very little social mobility

The issue is why can't a woman have direct and open power and influence? Why is it always a frontman, and not a frontwoman?

I'm not saying she can't

I'm just saying that women shouldn't have this view that they have been oppressed for centuries whislt men have been frollicking free in fields of clover livign the good life in the land of cockaigne....they weren't....men were doing shitty work all day long, coming home for a meal and a smoke of their pipe before going into bed and doing the same again the next day. They might get a rest on sunday when they put on their fine clothes and went to church

Men have only been exposed to more risk, because women haven't been allowed to serve in the same positions of power. I'm not saying that those positions haven't limited the life of men, what I'm saying is that women haven't been allowed to be in those positions. Men have had the opportunity to choose that path- and historically women haven't had that ability.

No men didn't have the freedom to choose their path

For most of history people have grown up within miles of their birth place doing the same job for life. They would probably do the same job as their father who would help them into the workplace or they might serve an apprenticeship under him of some sort

Guys were not living in a land of opportunity

Jees...men have had a shitty time of it throughout history....FAR HARDER than women....it should be us complaining!

Who ploughed the fields? Who fought the wars? Who brought in the harvest? You think all that shit was easy?

If women were allowed to work during those times, they would have also worked in terrible conditions. This is more of a classist issue, rather than gender.

Not just women but children too. Child labour was used extensively. If you were a boy you might have been shoved up chimneys to clean them

Yes it was a class issue and now i feel we are moving closer to the REAL issue

If the saying that shit rolls down hill is true and we are talking about a class issue then logically we can go up the pyramid to see who is at the top of it and therefore who is dumping all the shit over the rest of society...THEY ARE THE POWER TO BE RESISTED not the men who were trapped working the fields and factories

So women shouldn't voice their opinions about sexism? The other perspective is that when one disenfranchised group speaks up, it empowers other groups to do the same. Feminism is part of a broader school which seeks empowerment and equality for all. Seeking out equality is not taking away from another group.

No that's not really what is happening

If you follow the money that has been given to these various groups as funding we find that powerful men are fudning them and the reason they are doing this is to breakdown the fabric of society so that they can create a new one

I think rather than women talking about sexism i think they should take a look at the system itself and try to see how it has enslaved all of us

If men think that women who want equality is taking away their rights as men, then there is something wrong.

No men don't think that women want equality.....men think women want to takeover

Wow, that was quite a post. I abbreviated it because it was very long. Very interesting thoughts on here, especially about sexual apparatus lol. I have a suggestion, how about every individual person, man or woman, be allowed to be who they are with their own personal preferences for mates and not be lumped as a group where 'all men' or 'all women' are expected to behave in a certain way or judged harshly if they don't fit into a certain expected norm. Personally I believe that we should do whatever we want as long as it doesn't hurt another human being and I do not judge a man or a woman for their personal preferences or choices in behaviour again as long as it causes no harm. Wouldn't that be nice?

Yes it would

Do you think the people at the top of our society would like that?

Do you think they want an equal society?

Why do you not consider child care to be work?

It is. But why should it automatically fall to the woman to do it? Why can't a woman go to work while a man stays at home to care for the children? Why is it if a woman wants a career, this must mean the children are losing out, and being raised by the TV?

I didn't say all the men had power but that the people in power were men (and still are in the great majority the ones who have the most power as in the government and business leaders). There's a big difference in meaning between the two.

Ok well leave us alone and focus your energies on them cos they are enslaving us too!

I would love for you to answer my first question: what does equality between the sexes mean to you?

Judging by your standards of men and women, my penis is 3 times as large as yours.

No, judging by my standards, you have no penis...

Ok well leave us alone and focus your energies on them cos they are enslaving us too!

I'm not attacking men so there is no need for me to leave men alone. The men in my life have been treated quite well by me and have no reason to complain :). I simply wish to empower women to help themselves, just like I would support men to empower themselves as well.

We see things very differently, muir. I think it might be because you have not lived as a woman, and I have not lived as a man.

So what he has found is that women when they earn a certain amount of money tend to then put the brakes on their careers in order to get a better balance from life for example balancing work with family, exercise, interests, sprituality whatever

Men are more likely to focus on work.

So which one is more empowered? Which is being smarter out of the two? The women are

This might be the case for some women, but I can promise you this is not the case for most women.

No, judging by my standards, you have no penis...

Thank you for not answering my question.
I am almost 100% sure that it would have infuriated me with it's small minded, ill-informed, and chauvinistic ideologies.

And my penis is still 3 times larger than yours.

Because the system as it currently is will not allow any of us to be winners...it's already rigged

We can't keep fighting each other...men v's women, muslim v's christian, israeli v's palestinean, black v's white etc etc

The system has us all in its grip and we can' beat it while we are all fighing among ourselves

No that's not what i mean

I'd like to see a better balance for men AND women

farrell covers these issues in his talk much better than i can. It's a good talk because it makes you take a completely fresh look at how our society treats men

There's work and there's childcare. If the women are doing more work then it needs to become socially more acceptable for men to do more childcare

Things like that...we're not there yet and men are trapped in a bit of a limbo state at the moment where they can be judged quite harshly by different sections of the community whereas women can be either with no judgment

The law doesn't afford men the same amount of paternity leave as women get for maternity leave for example so even the state doesn't treat the sexes as equal in some regards

I'm not attacking men so there is no need for me to leave men alone. The men in my life have been treated quite well by me and have no reason to complain :). I simply wish to empower women to help themselves, just like I would support men to empower themselves as well.

But that's not what feminism is doing

Here's the truth and this is going to be hard for some to digest...

The bankers are behind feminism because if the bankers want to remain sitting on the backs of the people they have to keep the people divided and at each others throats

Feminism is not about giving women equality it is about social domination

Thank you for not answering my question.
I am almost 100% sure that it would have infuriated me with it's small minded, ill-informed, and chauvinistic ideologies.
I did answered your questions...

And my penis is still 3 times larger than yours.
That must be your boobs I guess...

We see things very differently, muir. I think it might be because you have not lived as a woman, and I have not lived as a man.

This might be the case for some women, but I can promise you this is not the case for most women.

He's just going with the stats

It's a really great talk....he's giving a very balanced view...he's not giving a male bias. he also talks about raising standards for women as well

Honestly it's well worth a watch