Is Feminism Outdated? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Is Feminism Outdated?

I wasn't making any assumptions about you in particular but just commenting on how this is a stance that is mostly taken by women who have lived fairly privileged lives and don't know that there are many women who haven't had the same chances in life and end up more vulnerable to being abused. Obviously that is not your case.

Child support is very different than spousal support. That is supposed to go towards the cost of raising children. I don't know anything about the specific cases you are mentioning but I am sure that there are many unfair situations where men are getting the shaft, I bet though that there are also a lot of situations where men will complain that they are getting shafted even if the decision is a fair one. As for spousal support women usually don't get anywhere close to half of what the man makes and they are only eligible if there is a huge difference in what they make and if the reason this is so is directly related to the marriage situation. If a woman makes significantly more than the man because he sacrificed income to support the family then he is entitled to support, but if the two spouses both have good careers and can support themselves then nobody is eligible for spousal support. I think splitting assets in half is fair and pensions are considered family assets. If a woman has a pension and the man doesn't then her pension will be divided up. It's only fair. Overall I think there are people that have legitimate reasons to feel that they have been given a raw deal but overall I think what we hear is mostly griping because of bitter divorce settlements.

If only it played out as nicely as that all the time.

I think the idea of feminism is great, but I've found that the leading feminists are often middle to upper class white women, who have university educations. Yes, they can speak about sexism, and the misogyny that happens daily, but that is merely one female voice. What about the female of minority who lives in poverty, and faces sexism, racism, and classism daily? The strength of feminism is that it stands for the empowerment of those who are oppressed by the upper class while male lineage of power. The weakness of feminism is that it is often backed by upper class white women in power.

I am for equality for everyone - regardless of sex, sexuality, race, age, SES....if you want to call it feminism, that's okay, but it's more than just equality between men and women.

Reactions: Lark
I would like people to realize that men and women aren't the same. Striving for equality in this is kind of awkward when we (both men and women) allow or make it easier for women to do something, but at the same time enforce double standards carried on by gender roles. It is going to take a long time before we figure this out, and make things better.

There is also the issue with the perception of feminism. On one hand we have a woman who wants to be empowered with her femininity, on the other, a woman empowered with her masculinity. Do we eliminate gender roles, and become equal on all fronts, or do we recognize that we aren't the same? There are self-proclaimed feminists who see it both ways, and some who are simply misandrists. It's a misunderstood topic to most. It's difficult to move forward when you have several diverging paths of perception.

A couple of years ago I used to see a lot of threads and discussions about feminism on forums.
I don't see any such threads these days.

It seems to me that feminism has become outdated and unpopular, since no one makes threads about it these days and nobody seems to care about it.
Could it be that it is outdated now?

Are you trolling or do you not pay attention to the news in regards to women's rights..?

Feminists are feared by most conservatives, there are reams of pages on the internet dedicated to proving that it is actually some kind of plot to undermine society. Can someone explain to me why this is, I thought it was about equal protection under the law.

Reactions: barbad0s
It's not outdated, it's just having a bear market in coolpoints trading.

I would like people to realize that men and women aren't the same. Striving for equality in this is kind of awkward when we (both men and women) allow or make it easier for women to do something, but at the same time enforce double standards carried on by gender roles. It is going to take a long time before we figure this out, and make things better.

There is also the issue with the perception of feminism. On one hand we have a woman who wants to be empowered with her femininity, on the other, a woman empowered with her masculinity. Do we eliminate gender roles, and become equal on all fronts, or do we recognize that we aren't the same? There are self-proclaimed feminists who see it both ways, and some who are simply misandrists. It's a misunderstood topic to most. It's difficult to move forward when you have several diverging paths of perception.

tumblr_m4livnfKXk1r3zat8.gif

Reactions: h097b3w86
I can recognize that there is a thread of feminism that is simply searching for safety/cooperation/respect for and between both genders. However feminism suffers from a marketing mishap in that 1. It is named in favor of one sex which leads to animosity and 2. The English language doesn't support this line of thinking without being very wordy and specific - which is fine but rare to find both party's engaged in the behavior.

I also suspect there is a Cold War approach in the presentation of feminism in the political arena in that they will present something very horrible like castrate all men and then concede to something like "fine we will simply accept equal pay".

For me feminism isn't worth my time but it's extreme supporters are always there to give me a laugh at their antics.

Wow! Very well said! I think I agree with this 100% and could probably do so in an insanely long convoluted post, so I'm glad [MENTION=5511]o_q[/MENTION] did it so concisely!

I also think it's true that it's going to take a long time before we figure it all out. But figuring out what "feminism" means beyond helping to figure this out is complicated by social media (and, to a degree, mainstream media) misusing the term.

To the original question: I have seen and still see a lot of posts on the topic, but I tend to subscribe to progressive groups where it is discussed a little more openly and deeply then it probably is in the public forum. Feminism is not outdated and is not moving towards being outdated in any way, but there's a lot of effort by Feminists to clarify what they mean, and to cut out the misinformation that has run rampant.

For me feminism isn't worth my time but it's extreme supporters are always there to give me a laugh at their antics.

I don't find extreme supporters funny. I actually find them kind of scary.
Imagine if they were actually able to legalize and implement their ideas.

No, feminism is not outdated because feminism does not revolve around the United States, but the entire world. There are many feminists sticking up for girls and women who have had no education due to religious practices and strict patriarchal societies - for example Malala Yousafzai.

In the United States, while many women are from the middle-upper class, they are speaking for everyone - women in the future. For example, abortion is heavily promoted by feminists today.

1 w0rd: S.C.U.M.

(No im not calling feminists scum. Take a brake.)

Feminsim is so old hat

The new thing now is Manism

This is a movement to ensure the 'equality' of men but really secretly it is about portraying women as the enemy and as the sole oppressor of men

The aim of this movement is to divide the sexes and to create discord between them in the hope that women will become antagonistic towards men and men will become suspicious of women to the degree that relationships across the western world will begin to break down and no one will want to start up new ones for fear of the repurcussions

manism is going to replace women with sex robots as the ultimate end game checkmate move in the battle of the sexes

babies will be born in test tubes in laboratories and women will be harvested for their eggs until they can be produced synthetically with no need for the female of the species at all

Women will become an irrelevance and suitable TV material will be provided for them to further demoralise them and prevent them from managing to form an effective counter strike

The ultimate hope and longterm goal of manism is the total extinction of the female of the species. Manism believes that under models created using game theory that the battle of the sexes will prove fatal to one or other of the sexes and it is the belief of manism that if men are to prevail that they must launch a pre-emptive strike against women having lulled them into a state of post feminist malaise

I don't find extreme supporters funny. I actually find them kind of scary.
Imagine if they were actually able to legalize and implement their ideas.

Is this a serious counterpoint? Are you trying to one up me?

Feminsim is so old hat

The new thing now is Manism

This is a movement to ensure the 'equality' of men but really secretly it is about portraying women as the enemy and as the sole oppressor of men

The aim of this movement is to divide the sexes and to create discord between them in the hope that women will become antagonistic towards men and men will become suspicious of women to the degree that relationships across the western world will begin to break down and no one will want to start up new ones for fear of the repurcussions

manism is going to replace women with sex robots as the ultimate end game checkmate move in the battle of the sexes

babies will be born in test tubes in laboratories and women will be harvested for their eggs until they can be produced synthetically with no need for the female of the species at all

Women will become an irrelevance and suitable TV material will be provided for them to further demoralise them and prevent them from managing to form an effective counter strike

The ultimate hope and longterm goal of manism is the total extinction of the female of the species. Manism believes that under models created using game theory that the battle of the sexes will prove fatal to one or other of the sexes and it is the belief of manism that if men are to prevail that they must launch a pre-emptive strike against women having lulled them into a state of post feminist malaise

Do you view this as a problem?

Is this a serious counterpoint? Are you trying to one up me?

Yes it is a serious point. Extreme feminists to me means radical feminists. The ones who claim that men can rape women just by looking at them and such, and who believe that thinking that natural differences between genders exist, is a crime.
They are scary faks. Prove that I'm wrong on this.

Yes it is a serious point. Extreme feminists to me means radical feminists. The ones who claim that men can rape women just by looking at them and such, and who believe that thinking that natural differences between genders exist, is a crime.
They are scary faks. Prove that I'm wrong on this.

the field of feminism includes a wide diversity of published opinion, and a lot of hot debate. there is not just feminism, that should conform to what one person wants or does not want the discipline to be, there are a diversity of feminisms. no perspectives are excluded, all may be argued for or against. in rigorous scholarly and academic contexts, where these perspectives are in fact examined and discussed, this allowance for diversity of opinion results in a highly enriched theoretical field. extreme perspectives are greatly valuable to the field.

I dont believe that feminism is out of date or out moded but perhaps some varieties of it.