Internet Trolls | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Internet Trolls

Who doesn't like a wee bit of cheek?

I think trolling is behaviour, behaviour that correlates with the dark triad, machavellianism-narcissism-psychopathy, and I think deserves to be monitored and controlled.

Its ill behaviour anyone who persists in it once they're made aware of what they are doing has a problem and will be a problem for others.

I agree. I had a friend email me disturbing photos of a past occurrence involving trolls over at the INTJ forum. Things got ugly.

They can't be trusted when left to their own devices.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

If the definition of trolling is to be limited to things like death threats a person won't act upon where the person who does it thinks it will be taken seriously, or even things like someone coming into a chatroom with only the intention of harassing people and making them mad... that is, being facetious and provocative purely for the sense of power one derives from demonstrating one's ability to ruin other people's emotional balance... then that would be a mismatch with how the term is generally applied.

How it is generally applied, it contains what I is mentioned above, but also contains more innocuous things like how my GF often pretends to not understand something or twists what I say until I figure out she's taking me for a ride or I get annoyed and she can't hold her mask anymore and cracks a smile. Or things like if someone comes into a channel and starts annoying everyone in ways people find unwarranted or is just generally obnoxious, people sometimes pretend to have positions and thoughts they don't really have to make fun of the person and possibly get it to leave, embarrass the person or make it reveal itself to be even more of a dumbass or something.

The only common red thread is facetiousness knowing it can provoke, and can also be a test to see if someone will get provoked over something and how, rather than wanting the end result to be the person being provoked.

If the definition of trolling is to be limited to things like death threats a person won't act upon where the person who does it thinks it will be taken seriously, or even things like someone coming into a chatroom with only the intention of harassing people and making them mad... that is, being facetious and provocative purely for the sense of power one derives from demonstrating one's ability to ruin other people's emotional balance... then that would be a mismatch with how the term is generally applied.

How it is generally applied, it contains what I is mentioned above, but also contains more innocuous things like how my GF often pretends to not understand something or twists what I say until I figure out she's taking me for a ride or I get annoyed and she can't hold her mask anymore and cracks a smile. Or things like if someone comes into a channel and starts annoying everyone in ways people find unwarranted or is just generally obnoxious, people sometimes pretend to have positions and thoughts they don't really have to make fun of the person and possibly get it to leave, embarrass the person or make it reveal itself to be even more of a dumbass or something.

The only common red thread is facetiousness knowing it can provoke, and can also be a test to see if someone will get provoked over something and how, rather than wanting the end result to be the person being provoked.

Some of what you're talking about sounds like gaslighting but in the main it all involves manipulation and insincerity of the sorts which are made easy by the medium of the internet and easier to detect in person resulting people simply avoiding or rejecting the people responsible for it.

[MENTION=11651]ArtFirst[/MENTION], were you hoping your thread would go more this direction?

I really dislike trolls and I tend to pick them out instantly. But it's like they cover the shit they write with honey and make me unable not to respond. x)
You can tell they're intentionally twisting your words, dismissing what you say etc etc all just to hurt you and toy with your emotions. it's terrible.
I do believe trolling is a form of bullying. And I was quite upset when I realized it happens on this forum too.

When I read the articles, I recognized these personality defects in the people who trolled me in the past.
I wanted to see what people thought, what their opinions were and where the conversation would go.
I never really cared what direction the thread would go ;P I just wanted to see where people would take it and what reasoning they used.

Personally, I do think all forms of trolling are maleficent in their nature. So are jokes at the expense of another, those aren't jokes.
And someone I actually blocked for being a troll in my book even responded and took part in the conversation by trolling.
Which I find interesting.

I really dislike trolls and I tend to pick them out instantly. But it's like they cover the shit they write with honey and make me unable not to respond. x)
You can tell they're intentionally twisting your words, dismissing what you say etc etc all just to hurt you and toy with your emotions. it's terrible.
I do believe trolling is a form of bullying. And I was quite upset when I realized it happens on this forum too.

When I read the articles, I recognized these personality defects in the people who trolled me in the past.
I wanted to see what people thought, what their opinions were and where the conversation would go.
I never really cared what direction the thread would go ;P I just wanted to see where people would take it and what reasoning they used.

Personally, I do think all forms of trolling are maleficent in their nature. So are jokes at the expense of another, those aren't jokes.
And someone I actually blocked for being a troll in my book even responded and took part in the conversation by trolling.
Which I find interesting.

Do you believe there is a difference between an entp who is simply getting reactions because that is there natural learning process vs someone who just likes to get peoole angry and feel the power of control over others by manipulating them?

Basically if a person gets offended or is too stupid to understand and/or participate to the topic then the OP is a troll. Either that or when you can't write anything interesting (but out of your own boredom and craving for public acknowledgment you desperately would want to) then you artificially try to position yourself above the OP hence ending any possible discussion that would present you as an intellectually insufficient person. A fact which you try so hard to conceal..

Do you believe there is a difference between an entp who is simply getting reactions because that is there natural learning process vs someone who just likes to get peoole angry and feel the power of control over others by manipulating them?

I don't know much about other types. But there are always differences and everything is always relative to external factors.
But I do wonder if some types are more susceptible to specific personality disorders then other types.
Like obviously all types are susceptible, but I wonder if some types are more so to specific ones then others.

Basically if a person gets offended or is too stupid to understand and/or participate to the topic then the OP is a troll. Either that or when you can't write anything interesting (but out of your own boredom and craving for public acknowledgment you desperately would want to) then you artificially try to position yourself above the OP hence ending any possible discussion that would present you as an intellectually insufficient person. A fact which you try so hard to conceal..

Determining which type has is the worst or is the worst at something is near trolling as it places types on pedestals. Determining how each type handles a trait and why they have particular difficulty with various traits, is not trolling because it is just a discussion that examines the bad traits but it does not try to compare types and say which is better.

Determining which type has is the worst or is the worst at something is near trolling as it places types on pedestals.

That depends entirely on our own personal value system. For example, opportunism for some is a positive trait, while for the others it brings negative connotation.

Determining how each type handles a trait and why they have particular difficulty with various traits, is not trolling because it is just a discussion that examines the bad traits but it does not try to compare types and say which is better.

Since it is a matter of a subjectivity then it is hard to determine what is to be considered as absolute good or bad.

Since it is a matter of a subjectivity then it is hard to determine what is to be considered as absolute good or bad.

Which is why asking what is the worst for these traits is near pointless; too many opinions of little consequence. Asking to get specific data on these traits and how they interact and pertain to certain types allows for each reader to come to their own conclusions while everyone gathers a deeper understanding as to how everything is actually fitting together instead of basing your opinion on others views.

I don't know much about other types. But there are always differences and everything is always relative to external factors.
But I do wonder if some types are more susceptible to specific personality disorders then other types.
Like obviously all types are susceptible, but I wonder if some types are more so to specific ones then others.

Who decides what are 'personality disorders?'

The high priests of the religion of psychiatry decide what is a 'disorder'

But are certain personality types more likely to become high priests of psychiatry and play god with human norms of behaviour?

Who are the gatekeepers of human behaviour?

Who decides what is ok and what is not?

Who decides what a 'troll' is?

That's what is really important

It's like stalin said: ''it doesn't matter who votes, it only matters who does the counting''

Which is why asking what is the worst for these traits is near pointless; too many opinions of little consequence. Asking to get specific data on these traits and how they interact and pertain to certain types allows for each reader to come to their own conclusions while everyone gathers a deeper understanding as to how everything is actually fitting together instead of basing your opinion on others views.

The importance of the question is relative to the subjective perception of the person asking it. We are free to actively participate or divert our attention to other matters that we consider to be of higher relevance. Contamination of the thought process, which precedes the conclusion, is usually a subversive method of expressing our disapproval with the topic. On the other hand, an honest contribution should always be looked upon as a manner that we all should conduct ourselves in. It's a matter of personal preference really.

The purpose of trolling is to elicit an emotional response in other people.

NT's are the best at this/do this the most IMO.

I am ENTP/INTP and I LOVE trolling people. I've been an internet troll my whole life.

This is trolling over the phone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd4XaLwXpLQ

I consider it a character flaw to exhibit those sorts of needs.

People who can not or will not deal with their own emotional states or responses seeking to have others experience them and then observe it, constantly paying forward the pain they cant handle themselves.

Crippled, sad, pathetic individuals.

The purpose of trolling is to elicit an emotional response in other people.

NT's are the best at this/do this the most IMO.

I am ENTP/INTP and I LOVE trolling people. I've been an internet troll my whole life.

This is trolling over the phone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd4XaLwXpLQ

I can say that i have personally witnessed many NT's doing this (mostly INTJ's)

An INFJ posts something because they believe it and care about it but often an NT will then debate them on it

An INFJ will not mind a reasonable debate because it provides an opportunity to explain to another why the INFJ holds that view

But what happens with many NT's is that they will attack the poster not the argument and also they will attack the presentation of the argument not its substance (because threy don't actually care about the subject)

They will and have said to me quite openly that they don't actually care about the subject matter of the debate but more about the style in which points are presented

To this end they bang on about 'logical fallacies' and 'conformation bias' whilst ignoring the information that the INFJ is presenting in good faith (and also failing to see how they themselves are committing logical fallacies and conformation bias!)

The INFJ can find themselves debating on sensitive isues such as vaccinations where people are dying and being injured because they care about the issue whilst the NT will be busy trying to pick the INFJ's argument apart...but not because they care that people are being killed or injured (they will never express any concern for other human beings), but purely for sport (their own sick selfish pleasure)

Basically what they do is enter into a battle of wills where they try to elicit a response from the feeling type so that they can then feed off the emotions which they themselves lack

lack of empathy is one of the hallmarks of psychopathy and some NT's exhibit traits of being fairly high on the psychopathy scale (maybe not american psycho high but still up at unhealthy levels of basically not caring)

When these types come to an INFJ forum and then attack INFJ's and try to provoke responses from them for their own sport i most definately see it is trolling but worse than that i see it as a form of emotional vampirism

Often these NT types i debate with occupy corporate positions and seem to be drawn to positions of power and influence which explains why the world is so messed up because people in power should be able to empathise otherwise the world descends into unfeeling cruelty

Last edited:
To this end they bang on about 'logical fallacies' and 'conformation bias' whilst ignoring the information that the INFJ is presenting in good faith (and also failing to see how they themselves are committing logical fallacies and conformation bias!)

The INFJ can find themselves debating on sensitive isues such as vaccinations where people are dying and being injured because they care about the issue whilst the NT will be busy trying to pick the INFJ's argument apart...but not because they care that people are being killed or injured (they will never express any concern for other human beings), but purely for sport (their own sick selfish pleasure)

Basically what they do is enter into a battle of wills where they try to elicit a response from the feeling type so that they can then feed off the emotions which they themselves lack

lack of empathy is one of the hallmarks of psychopathy and some NT's exhibit traits of being fairly high on the psychopathy scale (maybe not american psycho high but still up at unhealthy levels of basically not caring)

When these types come to an INFJ forum and then attack INFJ's and try to provoke responses from them for their own sport i most definately see it is trolling but worse than that i see it as a form of emotional vampirism

Often these NT types i debate with occupy corporate positions and seem to be drawn to positions of power and influence which explains why the world is so messed up because people in power should be able to empathise otherwise the world descends into unfeeling cruelty

hmmm how interesting.

NT's seek truth - regardless of personal values. I think that a lot of the time, more sensitive people perceive this truth seeking as personal attacks, with the intention of hurting, when in fact the intention is simply seeking of the truth.

That's not my experience

Often the NTJ's i've debated with steer clear of the information and attack the poster they are debating with or will attack their style of presentation

They also seem to make everything personal (see revenge thread for example)