INFJS and Dogs

problemz

Community Member
Jun 6, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
SX 4 or 5
I don't like pets. I especially hate dogs. I don't know why people like them. They slobber, they smell bad, and are invasive of personal space. Do INFJs like dogs generally? I hate them. I don't mind cats, or even piranhas, or if someone had an ant farm I would think nothing of it. I cannot stand dogs, though. Is this because I was once a paperboy, or is it that dogs are just too ESTP? Also dogs are so damned loud. Who can stand all that barking and gregariousness? Why in fact do dogs even exist? I sometimes feel that if I were given the chance I would be a Hitler to dogs. I might round them up and start punching buttons. I don't mind wolves or even foxes (vixens are fine!) but dogs of any stripe, and especially the more aggressive kinds such as pit bulls, German shepherds, and terriers, make me just sick to my stomach. Poodles are just egregious. Chihuahuas? Who needs them? They all get walked and end up often pooping on my lawn. One tiny grain of dog poop can poison an entire pond! Why are we putting up with this shit?

I don't think all that many INFJs share your rather extreme feelings on this subject. Not that INFJs are predisposed to liking dogs specifically. I do think a lot of INFJs probably enjoy animals in general though, although not all of them will want the responsibility of caring for them.

I'm under the impression a lot of the way you worded this was meant in a sort of joking manner but I'll be honest, I find your comments regarding specific breeds to be ignorant. That makes me sick to my stomach, on the off chance that you were not joking. Although even as a joke I don't find it very amusing either.

Were you by chance attacked by a dog as a young child? Extreme aversion or hate is usually indicative of fear.

Last edited:
I love dogs.. But I grew up around dogs, so I get them.
You are missing out OP! Dogs are the best.
Cute-Dogs-dogs-13883189-480-426.jpg
Imageaspx.jpg
cat-dog-photobomb-17.jpg

dog-afgan.jpg
homeless_man_and_his_dog.jpg

dogs3.jpg

Reactions: Kgal
I love dogs immensely. When they are well trained they are wonderful in ways words cannot describe, ime. Perhaps this stems from the fact that I also grew up with dogs. I guess I don't know how it's possible to not love them. They are intelligent, sensitive, highly responsive, and cuddly/warm. They are the perfect companion on a rainy day, wonderful comforts on a sad day, and great pursuers of joy on a happy day. They can be a lot of work, but they truly offer unconditional love and unconditional regard for us. What beautiful creatures.

Reactions: acd
So far no INFJ responses. I'm not surprised that other types enjoy dogs, since so many people seem to like dogs. In our neighborhood there are about fifty dogs. I hate every one of them equally. Well, some of them I hate double. I might like the owners. I hate dogs. I was often chased and bitten as a paperboy (delivering papers at 3 am for six years and having to bring a baseball bat to ward off dogs). I never wanted to actually hit a dog, but just ward them off. I mean even animals have parents, so I didn't want to break any skulls. But I did hate the dogs at least partially because they were doing what evolution had trained them to do: protect territory and sniff out intruders. I got quite good at spiralling coiled papers into paper boxes from 50 ft. That's another question, I guess. I am quite talented on an athletic basis. Sorry but I am. I had the feeling that INTPs and INFPs are clumsier than heck and are kind of completely unaware of the physical realm. But are INFJs better able to run and dodge, perhaps evolutionarily adapted to escaping the canines of canines? I teach at a small state college and many many students are in the Vet Tech program. Gosh how they love animals! They tell me I just haven't met the right dog. Maybe meeting a dog at 3 am on their own property are not the best conditions for dating a dog. Perhaps I could have loved dogs. I did ask my parents for a Norwegian elkhound. They said they smelled and chased me around the house with a broom. Maybe I'm just a dog lover that ended up in the closet! With the broom.

No, I wouldn't kill a dog for money. I would kill all dogs for free, perhaps, if they were already all rounded up and all I had to do was punch a button. But there's no way you could pay me to do it. I really don't like the noises they make at night. How many nights have I lain awake with barking dogs in the background? There's not much I would do for money. Perhaps I would raise problematic questions about the money you're giving me. I think it's wrong now to kill a dog, because of animal rights laws. I do think animals deserve rights. I even think rivers deserve rights. But I don't know why anyone would personally wish to own a dog. It's the most perverse thing I can imagine. I can't say this to almost anyone. People just love their pets. I hate all their pets. They smell bad, are demanding, and the return on the investment seems minimal. I do love children, and if I could own a cat I would I think (terribly allergic to cats!). Well, this is the first time I've ever broached this topic. I feel so embarrassed that I feel this way. I want to feel the same way that others do, in most cases. But in this case, I just can't round the corner of loving or even putting up with a dog. Every kind makes me sick to my stomach. Sometimes I watch them on TV on Animal Planet (they have contests) and I laugh and laugh and laugh. I'm in hysterics. People love their kerry blue terriers for instance, and they have criteria for rating them such as high tail or prances or has sparkling eyes. I just think: the more reason to kill them! Not that I would. First off, it's against the laws, and secondly, other people love them and children especially. I wouldn't want to hurt a child's feelings by killing their puppy. I would never live it down. But I just don't know why anybody loves them in the first place. To me, it's like enjoying poop and spit and being bit. 600,000 children were bit in the face last year by their dogs, many of these bites requiring surgery. Isn't this a reason to ban them and change the laws around and get these satanic creatures to live out in the forests like real animals where they belong? Who are they fooling? I wish I thought differently on this topic. I'm so embarrassed.

I love dogs. I dont own one now but have in the past. I love how playful and affectionate they are. Having a dog around changes the whole environment in a positive way. I get pretty attached to them and they are lots of work to care for (probably because i go overboard). I also found i worried about them too much and lost a lot of my freedom in traveling around when i had a dog. So while i love dogs, i choose not to own one because i know i couldn't give the proper affection, time, care and energy that is required. Plus i dont think my yard is big enough. They only pets i have at the moment is my chickens

I love them . They are loyal, they trust you and you can trust them. And they love, they love so deeply. My vet saved my dog from cancer, she was dieing in my arm. It's a miracle, but now she's happy as before and loves me even more. 72775-461177.jpg

Reactions: SarahBS
I have mixed feelings about dogs. While certain breeds annoy me to no end, like the hyperactive Parson's Terrier, or the American Lab, there are definitely dogs out there I really like:
B_apricot_brindle.jpg

The English Mastiff.

Anatolian%20Shepherd%20Dog2.JPG

The Anatolian Shepherd

The two breeds pictured are hands down the best dogs [IMHO]. If I could, I would rescue a Mastiff in a heartbeat. The reason I wouldn't adopt a Anatolian is based solely on where I live. They need acres and acres of land to roam. They are wary of strangers, but not aggressive, they love children, and I have never met a more loyal dog.
I miss my girl every day. Ugh. To live in the country again!

-Anna

Reactions: Kgal
I'm not INFJ but I love dogs. My pug is not smelly or loud, he doesn't slobber, very rarely barks and if you so much as looked at him wrong, I'd beat the living snot out of you much like I would if someone said the same things about one of my children. You are making some seriously retarded generalizations. Dogs who bite or are viscous are TAUGHT to be that way, so blame the owner, not the dog. Either you have some serious problems, or obvious troll is obvious.

Attachments

• 0826109516071.jpg
    0826109516071.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 8
I love dogs way more than I love people. I grew up with them, so I'm biased (I'm sure), but I can't imagine not loving dogs. I know that it's kind of cliche, but they really are the best companions I've ever had in my life. I think part of it for me is that animals are incapable of being dishonest (although my uber-smart border collie friend is capable of subterfuge) and dogs, in particular, are extremely emotive (both in expressing and inspiring). That makes them pretty perfect in my eyes. Life is way richer with them, IMO. (I don't even mind the grumpy/angry ones. I'm pretty bitchy--harharhar--sometimes as well and entirely capable of biting someone if I'm pissed off enough.)

There's no way I would have survived the last 8 months without these two:
doodle.jpg
sadie.jpg

(And now I miss them because I've moved away again. C'est la vie. That's what the pictures are for.)

Awww since you guys are posting your fur babies, these are my dog-girls:

Moon

Zoe

I sort of secretly love that we've turned this thread into a dog lovefest.

And your girls are adorable. Those are awesome pictures :eek:)