INFJish book I read.. | INFJ Forum

INFJish book I read..

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by acd, Jan 27, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
More threads by acd
  1. acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    I really wasn't sure where to put this.. Has anyone else ever read The Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler? Well, it's a really interesting book. The main character reminded me of mbti infj typology. The main character has this disorder called, "hyper-empathy disorder" in which if she sees the injuries of another, she will feel the other's pain and what's more, she'll actually bleed if they are bleeding. When she witnesses a person die, she goes unconscious.

In order for her to survive, it's kill or be killed (basically, society is chaos and crumbling) But every time she has to kill some one in order to escape, she feels the pain-- so she has to continually hurt herself by hurting others to survive. I hope someone else has read this book, or I hope someone will be interested in picking it up.

2. gOpHeR

gOpHeR Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Sounds twisted, I think I'll check it out.

3. mayflow

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Can't INFJ's emphasize with others happinesses and joys instead of killing them and feeling bad about killing them? < If not, I am kinda sticking with the INFP thing. Buddhas Galore and Rainbows and Flowers for me. :smile:

4. ZenCat

ZenCat Waving Sage

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Recently 2
    It sounds interesting, merrytrees!

I'm going to move this over to the literature section, so others can find it easily.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. alcyone

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    WTF
    Well......without the rainstorms preceeding them....there wouldn't be any rainbows....and flowers are rooted in the remains of other plant's deaths....

:)

6. mayflow

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Hmmm. Interesting premises. Are you insinuating that rainbows and rainstorms are actually part and parcel of us all? But what if we think this is innappropriate for the young folks to hear? Maybe we should speak of this in shushed words over "adult" coffeetables, so they can't hear our "more mature" discussions?

7. ZenCat

ZenCat Waving Sage

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Recently 2
    :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. alcyone

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    WTF
    Nothing here that a kid can't know.

On the contrary, I've addressed the dark sides of our personalities before. I think they are as important as the light sides of our personalities.

Without the dark, one cannot value the light. And without the light, the dark has no purpose.

#8 alcyone, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  9. mayflow

Banned

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Are you a fan of the Tao te Ching? I also agree. I have said nothing on this forum, nor do I intend to say anything that I don't think it appropriate for a child to know and or to question. Doesn't that seem reasonable to do? Now, light and dark are of course two aspects of the same thing, aren't they? But. Who is that person there that realizes this?

10. alcyone

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    WTF
    The people who realize this are:

1) the people who have actually thought about it

2) the ones who have experienced the extreme life lows

11. IndigoSensor

IndigoSensor Product Obtained
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2 sx/so/sp
    That sounds simply facenating to read, and one scary idea.

I don't think I could read it though, it would be too taxing for me.

12. Obstinate

Obstinate Regular Poster

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    OH MAN. I read this book in 9th grade. I loved it so much! No wonder I felt for her. It is such an INFJ book!

13. Pristinegirl

Pristinegirl Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ANFP
    I'm astonished and inspired and wow. This sounds like an amplified me in metaphors and symbols. I can already relate even though I haven't read it YET! =)

14. alcyone

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    WTF
    Actually until you mentioned it and I googled it to read the synopsis in the wikipedia...I had no clue what the Tao Te Ching was.

I evolved my opinions on that sort of stuff myself. But I'm glad I'm not the only one!

15. OP
    acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    Well, um.. yes...
    But that's not what the book is about. The book is about a girl living in a time period (the future) in which all of the problems our society is facing now go unchecked and are allowed to progress into the crumbling of civilization and basically utter disorder and lawlessness. So, people are basically killing each other at random (just because there's no law) and also to steal from them in order to survive. The idea is that in order for the main character and the people she is protecting to survive, she has to kill people who come after them.. but not without consequences that she can literally feel.

I thought it was extremely interesting because like you, I'm a peace-nik. I abhorr violence (even in movies!) and conflict.. but if it were necessary in order to survive, how would I deal with it? An infj, as an empathetic person, would probably internalize the pain if they chose to fight to survive.

ZEN- Thanks for moving the thread.. I really wasn't sure where to put it, and I figured it'd get moved anyways. Octavia Butler is an amazing sci-fi author, so I hope you will check her out!

16. Bored Now

On Holiday

Threads:
    MBTI:
    *blows kiss*
    THERE IS SOMEONE ELSE HERE WHO LOVES OCTAVIA BUTLER?!?! :: falls in love kidnaps merrytrees::

I went to a reading of hers when I was fifteen and she was SOOO nice to me and told me to be a writer! Unfortunately, I took her advice. HEE. She died not all that long ago strangely. Fell on some ice and broke her neck poor thing. Sci fi, is such a white male dominated world, that she brought realistic color and texture to her stories. It really is a loss.

17. arbygil

arbygil Passing through

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I loved Octavia Butler, too. I just finished "Fledgling" a few months back, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed that one. Butler's style can be difficult to get into but once you do you're hooked.

She had a fantastic grasp on her characters...and the woman herself was either an INFP or INFJ, from what I could tell. You should really read her interviews; she was a fascinating woman.

18. OP
    acd

acd Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infp
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sp/sx
    HAHA! Yay!! Someone else who adores her! And you got to meet her! I got into her when my friend took a Women's Studies course down at Purdue LaFayette and had to read Parable of the Sower. Being jealous that I didn't get to take such a class, she gave me all her notes and that book. Butler was explained to me as a black feminist sci-fi writer and I was intrigued because you're right, it doesn't seem there's much diversity in that area. You rock.

19. Forgotten Rose

Forgotten Rose Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    That actually sounds quite interesting. I shall check that out. =3

20. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Sounds like one of my friends who is an idealist.