INFJ Parents...Your Child(ren) are Destined for Greatness

WellNoWonder

Peace Through Action
Dec 10, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
How do you go about encouraging, pushing, and developing these future world-changing individuals? Are you really conscious of your parenting, or do you just go with the flow? Do you have the general feeling that your children will be a catalyst to a turning-point in the world?

I really have no clue what I am doing, but it seems to be working. I mentioned and showed the hypotenuse of a triangle once, and my son has been pointing them out to me ever since. I didn't even have to tell them to get up and go pee at night once potty-training was finalized (thank GAWD the HORROR!!!!). One night I just started hearing toilet seats clanging and woke up to find a disheveled roll of toilet paper.

They have these very active imaginations, and I just sit by and watch their games. I'm flattered when they serve me pizza and coffee out of their play food.

I have found the more engaged I am with my children, I virtually do not have to discipline them. They rarely get in trouble. My daughter is going through her back-arching, refrigerator-leaning, sprinter-stretching, temper-tantrum thing, but otherwise, a very fun and quirky NT character. My son is more NF (I know I know dont type the children), quiet and loves books and being read to.

But anyway...

your thoughts???

Oh geezz.. I can't imagine having kids right now *shudder*

:m100:

I understand.

Didn't think I'd ever have any. The thought of being pregnant scared the crap out of me.

I get you...My daughter is nine and she is pretty incredible...I think. Shes having some issues right now with homework, but I think that has more to do with environment than her know how...Shes a smart cookie...So were having some temper tantrum issues but she once was an only child, and now has to live with two other kids...its a lot for her to deal with.

Shes doing it gracefully, I think. Well work on the tantrums.

She walked early, talked early, read early...she will be great at whatever she does.

I get you...My daughter is nine and she is pretty incredible...I think. Shes having some issues right now with homework, but I think that has more to do with environment than her know how...Shes a smart cookie...So were having some temper tantrum issues but she once was an only child, and now has to live with two other kids...its a lot for her to deal with.

Shes doing it gracefully, I think. Well work on the tantrums.

She walked early, talked early, read early...she will be great at whatever she does.

How do you think you have contributed to this? Is she very attached to you? Do you look at her as a friend???

It's tricky. My kids respond so quickly to everything we say and do. My wife and I put a lot of energy into it, but to some extent it will be up to them and who they are. Our kids are post-temper-tantrum and pre-temper-tantrum, so we are taking a bit of a breather at the moment. But it will soon be back into the fray.

We do our best, but we already made one crucial mistake with our first and it is almost too late to fix.

They'll have flawed parents like everyone else.

I don't think my kids will change the world. I don't think the world is going to do anymore 'changing' in the positive sense for a while now. If anything, it's due for a rather large mental recession, IMHO. Not due to the minds of any of the awesome young people here, mind you, but because of the alignment of several negative pendulums. But they will survive and perhaps help other people. I can hope.

Being a good parent is important to us, but we don't have much to follow but our instincts and the good and bad examples of those before us. In other words, more of the same, so I expect my kids to be more of the same.

Last edited:
How do you think you have contributed to this? Is she very attached to you? Do you look at her as a friend???

i am both. iI expect alot from her, but i always ask her whats on her mind. im trying to understand if its only child syndrome or not.

completely true. i remember when i was a kid, i only started acting up, being filled with anger, and disobeying when my parents stopped listening and spending time. now it's too late for them. AHAHAHAH fuckers got what they deserved :)

My kids are pretty awesome but, of course, I don't care if they achieve greatness or not...they are great in my book. Frankly, although I did my part, I found that as they got older, other adults in their lives and good friends were also very important. My only objective was for them to grow up to be fully themselves.....happy, connected, aware, and avoiding those things that can rob us of our potential. Of course, I fully followed the same trajectory myself so we could explore, question, and navigate life together.

My youngest son (I have four kids...two boys, two girls) will graduate from college next year. The rest are already out of school. Our lives are all based on similar principles, but they each are completely themselves and took things in their own unique direction.

I don't have kids but I can imagine that raising a child today would have more unique difficulties and in some ways is probably more challenging than 20 years ago. I imagine a young child who wants to stand out and make a real difference and who is headed for greatness, if that's the destiny, has quite a fight ahead of them to get there, probably a steeper uphill climb. Not sure how I would handle it - probably depends on the child in any case. But fostering dedication, committment, and purpose, the belief in working towards a worthwhile goal, at any age or level, and achieving it, can foster an attitude of success and increased self esteem. I think encouraging modest challenges and developing a passionate interest in a subject, talent, or hobby would probably help to motivate and inspire them. But I'll defer to those who are already parents.

Last edited:
My 5 year old's imagination is incredible, I'm usually too floored by what she comes up with then to think of how to respond. But generally, I encourage her use of imagination, because I notice many of my friend's kids at the same age sound so "politically correct", and it's kinda disturbing. I'm pretty laid back so if my daughter is just playing or pretending, I let her stretch her imagination, I mean, before I know it she'll be grown up and will know it all anyway!