INFJ myths | INFJ Forum

INFJ myths

Mary Shelley

Fearless & Powerful
Aug 1, 2013
MBTI
XXXX
What are the most common beliefs about INFJs that you think are generally untrue?

Are they based on a grain of truth or a misunderstanding?

How would you restate or correct them to make them true?

What do you think or feel about them?

That all INFJs are this sweet, innocent people unable to do any wrong. I also find that the typical INFJ descriptions floating around the forums only focus on female INFJs.

That all INFJs are this sweet, innocent people unable to do any wrong. I also find that the typical INFJ descriptions floating around the forums only focus on female INFJs.

This. Any time I've come across a conversation on INFJs, this is the general consensus. Before I came to this forum I thought INFJs were the human equivalent of a cute cuddly bunny.

While I agree that most of the focus is placed on idyllic traits, as a male I can't say I ever read descriptions of the INFJ type and thought they were describing what a female INFJ is rather than a male INFJ.
I guess I see typology as being blind to gender.

This. Any time I've come across a conversation on INFJs, this is the general consensus. Before I came to this forum I thought INFJs were the human equivalent of a cute cuddly bunny.

[video=youtube;XcxKIJTb3Hg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg[/video]

You were saying? :p

rarity to an extent
the extent to which many can read others.

-that they have this "powerfull, amazing" intuition, like a superpower : I don't think that's true. Intuition comes from observing the world, and that's it. INFJ have this intuition because they work hard inside they're heads, not because some innate superpower.
-that the're somehow shy: I know 6 INFJ's up to this time, and all of them have this "strong presence" about them, and 5 of them are very influential people
-that they are really humble people: they are not. because of they're intuition, most INFJ's have a lot of pride "under the hood", and many of them think of themself much higher than the common man: they see themself as "the elite" of this world - this is debatable to some extent :)
-that they are wise: I think it's better to assume that THEY SEEK to be wise more than any other types, but not necessarily that they really ARE wise:an INFJ who's "gone wrong" can became actually really stupid; still, I think it's correct to say that most of them are wise people, but that it's only because they seek intensely that;
so that's what comes to my mind right now...

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Quit hatin'. : D

Myth: INFJs are an inspiration to others; or are somehow intriguing; or interesting.

I think "weird" and "strangely feisty" are closer to the mark.

[video=youtube;XcxKIJTb3Hg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg[/video]

You were saying? :p
That may be the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Myth: INFJs are an inspiration to others; or are somehow intriguing; or interesting.

[MENTION=862]Flavus Aquila[/MENTION]: "Feisty" ... I like that!!

What's up w/ our kind bashing ourselves?

Our "kind"... even if we do in fact, come out typed as "INFJ" we are all so different so these sweeping generalizations of the "INFJ" type cannot possibly apply to all of "us".

People change with different experiences, life stages, living environments and company........

Here are a few I've picked up on--I exaggerate but only a little to make the point.

INFJs are successful. INFJs are happy and do not suffer from any psychological problems such as depression. How could they? They can only think about everyone else. That's why they are so noble and altruistic that all they do is help other people 24/7. They have a lifelong mission that they make constant steady progress on from the moment they leave the womb--they've always known exactly what it is and are therefore in each moment doing what they love while living the dream.

When you look at an INFJ, you can just tell. This is because they are so very attractive, in perfect physical shape, and have a timeless sense of fashion that makes them seem like movie stars. If you're in the presence of an INFJ, you know it because their presence is so large it that it fills the room. Warmth emanates from them so much that you automatically like them as a person and everything about them.

The thing you notice right away is that they are so metaphysical that they are never down to earth about anything. Talking to them feels like a mix between being in the presence of Miss Cleo, John Edward and Criss Angel. They know everything about you before you've said a word and will gladly demonstrate their impressive psychic powers.

If it's not about spirituality, artistic endeavor, or doing good deeds, the INFJ has no interest whatsoever. They can't be bothered with things like physics, neurology, or logic. In fact, they cannot even process logic. This is because they don't have to. Like Steve Jobs, INFJs have a reality distortion field so that things will always make complete sense to you when you're in their company but leave you feeling like a misguided stormtrooper the moment their sandspeeder glides away.

They're not manipulating you like evil ENFJs are, though. Rather, the universe conforms to their will made flesh such that humanity responds like fish to Aquaman and you want to obey requests not yet in concision thought. Science is still trying to determine whether INFJs even have conscious thought. In Dario Nardi's research, INFJs are in a meditative state even as they are walking and conversing. The research was limited only because there are only one or two INFJs in the world every one hundred years and their skullcaps keep detaching as the INFJ levitates away. Nardi hopes to address this with new portable EEG recorders but he has not yet made one that conforms to the head of the INFJ's wolf form.

Last edited:
Here are a few I've picked up on--I exaggerate but only a little to make the point.

INFJs are successful. INFJs are happy and do not suffer from any psychological problems such as depression. How could they? They can only think about everyone else. That's why they are so noble and altruistic that all they do is help other people 24/7. They have a lifelong mission that they make constant steady progress on from the moment they leave the womb--they've always known exactly what it is and are therefore doing what they love while living the dream.

When you look at an INFJ, you can just tell. This is because they are so very attractive, in perfect physical shape, and have a timeless sense of fashion that makes them seem like movie stars. If you're in the presence of an INFJ, you know it because their presence is so large it that it fills the room. Warmth emanates from them so much that you automatically like them as a person and everything about them.

The thing you notice right away is that they are so metaphysical that they are never down to earth about anything. Talking to them feels like a mix between being in the presence of Miss Cleo, John Edward and Criss Angel. They know everything about you before you've said a word and will gladly demonstrate their impressive physic powers.

If it's not about spirituality, artistic endeavor, or doing good deeds, the INFJ has no interest whatsoever. They can't be bothered with things like physics, neurology, or logic. In fact, they cannot even process logic. This is because they don't have to. Like Steve Jobs, INFJs have a reality distortion field so that things will always make complete sense to you when you're in their company but then feel like a misguided stormtrooper the moment their sandspeeder glides away.

They're not manipulating you like evil ENFJs are, though. Rather, the universe conforms to their will made flesh such that humanity responds like fish to Aquaman and you want to obey requests not yet in concision thought. Science is still trying to determine whether INFJs even have conscious thought. In Dario Nardi's research, INFJs are in a meditative state even as they are walking and conversing. The research was limited only because there are only one or two INFJs in the world every one hundred years and their skullcaps keep detaching as the INFJ levitates away. Nardi hopes to address this with new portable EEG recorders but he has not yet made one that conforms to the head of the INFJ's wolf form.
I fear for the mental state of the moron who believes this.... Assuming someone does....

Last edited:

I'm sorry, I just can't agree with this one. Nobody is "weird". It's completely false.

I'm sorry, I just can't agree with this one. Nobody is "weird". It's completely false.

Statistically, some people fall further from what is considered normal than others do. Maybe it isn't congruent with your experience, but the description holds true for INFJs in my experience. I don't see how you can say it's "completely false".

[MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION]
Describe normal please...
And also what is "considered to be normal"!

@niffer
Describe normal please...
And also what is "considered to be normal"!

I can't describe it with certainty because I don't know which traits are considered less normal than average. But because a statistical average exists, people WILL fall outside it. INFJs are purported to comprise 1% of the population. That doesn't mean they're extremely abnormal, but if that's true, and most people subscribe to the notion that INFJs are unique, then they are definitely less like the average person. I'm not taking about weird or normal in terms of disorder or strangeness, only in terms of what is mathematically average or typical.

Here is another myth:
INFJ: shy, oversensitive to everything, nobody understands me, I'm so special kind of thing: this is false because...
- all this kind of sensitivity it's not a REAL sensitivity; it is just a word, a very sweet and ambiguous word to hide the truth, wich is FEAR
- so when an INFJ acts somehow or thinks somehow from an early age, and other kids start asking him "why do you do this? Oh, you are so this and that" he begin to feel really different and abnormal, and he starts to feed a FEAR, a huge one > this fear is called "sensitivity" in INFJ language;
So you've got a lot of INFJs who are full of fear, fear of themselvs, fear of exposing to people, and they called it "sensitivity" because few of them have the courage to recognize this fear. This is a very sad truth, and I hope I will hear some thoughts from you guys on this. I want to write a book about it or do something, it drives me crazy !