INFJ myths | Page 6 | INFJ Forum

INFJ myths

Do INFJs hangout in cafes? Every "where to find INFJs" thread on the internet suggests this is true.

Reactions: Jana
myth:
INFJs are not confident or lack confidence.

Reactions: muir
Truth about INFJs:
They usually know more about humanity, whether it's themselves or others

Myth about INFJs:
That it somehow made them better, whether socially or in life.

*deadpan*

Do INFJs hangout in cafes? Every "where to find INFJs" thread on the internet suggests this is true.

Nuhash, by ourselves, I think our first choice to hang out would be home haha. But outside of that, basically anywhere we can find a comfy spot to read or write, with a vibe that isn't too intimidating but relaxing and even artistic. So, you could say cafes but that's where I seem to find all the douche-y/boring hipsters. I find some cool ones too but every once in a while, one will mistake me for one of their own on the days I'm doing laundry and make the mistake of wearing a scarf. I get my ear talked off about stuff I don't care about in order to impress me. I like the library. But usually, I'm only out because I'm with people, or I have to be, or I want to really do something like hike or go running, not to sit all by myself in front of people. If I'm out with people, all bets are off. They get to dictate where we go because I'm up for almost anything as long as I'm with them.

Truth about INFJs:
They usually know more about humanity, whether it's themselves or others

Myth about INFJs:
That it somehow made them better, whether socially or in life.

*deadpan*
Well, if you look in history, usualy the INFJs children were discovered along with their talents at a young age and they were trained in all areas of life, especially socially, because it was known that they lack natural strength in this area.
And also their talents were much more appreciated in society, thus they were valued more and not ridiculed.

So I think INFJs truly are blessed more than other people. And yes, they have some dezavantages, but if the INFJ will fight and work hard to conquer that natural weakness, the reward would be much more rich then the other people.

Well, if you look in history, usualy the INFJs children were discovered along with their talents at a young age and they were trained in all areas of life, especially socially, because it was known that they lack natural strength in this area.
And also their talents were much more appreciated in society, thus they were valued more and not ridiculed.

So I think INFJs truly are blessed more than other people. And yes, they have some dezavantages, but if the INFJ will fight and work hard to conquer that natural weakness, the reward would be much more rich then the other people.

What are some examples of this in history besides anime?

In shamanic traditions the shaman might pass on his knowledge to a promising youngster. INFJ's i'd say are pretty well equipped for that type of work

Also before christianity societies around the world had a priesthood that was the guardian of the societies knowledge, history, myths and legends and people who showed the right sort of aptitude would enter this if they proved themselves suitable. Most other people would have work for example agricultural or soldiering but the priesthood would do a 20 year traineeship and would be supported in this by the community because they were valued by society for example as the organisers of the various festivals which would be the social highlights of the year for many people

I think INFJ's would probably have been heavily represented in these sorts of groups so i don't think what LucyJr is saying is incorrect

The latin christian priesthood has attracted other sorts as well as INFJ's due to its celibacy rule.....a bad rule in my opinion

Infjs are the classic melancholics.
Aristotle has written about them (melancholics), what are their stenghts and their weaknesses. Aristotle and many other people have argumented that clearly melancholics exceds by far in talents and capabilities all other people. The trick is to teach them to gather their shit together and not be let in their natural state, because in their natural state they are prone to pasivity, depression, dark thoughts and other things.
The most brilliant inventors, sciencists, philosophers, artists and "great people" were melancholics. The price is high, but the rewards are higher.
Like Doistoievski said, there are some people who move the world ahead.

Infjs are the classic melancholics.
Aristotle has written about them (melancholics), what are their stenghts and their weaknesses. Aristotle and many other people have argumented that clearly melancholics exceds by far in talents and capabilities all other people. The trick is to teach them to gather their shit together and not be let in their natural state, because in their natural state they are prone to pasivity, depression, dark thoughts and other things.
The most brilliant inventors, sciencists, philosophers, artists and "great people" were melancholics. The price is high, but the rewards are higher.
Like Doistoievski said, there are some people who move the world ahead.

So no specific examples, just romantic ideas of third peraon observations.

Classic infj reasoning: if they were amazing then they must be Infj!

Reactions: acd

We must have a lot of Nobel prize winners here!

We must have a lot of Nobel prize winners here!

You're presuming that all the people here that are claiming to be INFJ's are actually INFJ's

If i had a pound for everytime i have seen someone on this forum change their MBTI i'd be a wealthy man and that includes 'the' who has only recently started putting INFJ under his avatar

Sometimes there are threads here where some non INFJ will say 'INFJ's aren't rare' but the truth is they are rare when you don't count the people who are falsly claiming that they are an INFJ

Last edited:

I think it is more a case that INFJ's process information in an unconventional way so as a result they sometimes turn out to be influential or distinctive

INFJ's can often spot kindred spirits

I think the fact that Lucy jr showed that his 'reasoning' spans diverse areas such as literature, philospophy and diverse people over centuries as well as his own experiences shows that his 'reasoning' is developed from a growing integrated web of knowledge which is his intuition from which he is able to deduce things

i don't think he is incorrect in saying that things can be hard for INFJ's but if they feed their intuition and don't get too disspirited they can fulfill their potential

I also think that our current society is not really geared for them and that they might have held a more respected position in the past for example in my country as druids

I think the history is full of examples like I was talking about. It has been known as as an archetype that any genius must be by definition prone to depression and must be a melancholic. This archetype was so well known in history, especially in Europe, that some books were written to help the parents of gifted children to disciplinate their own children, and help them cope socially.
Of course, most of the advices were ineffective, because it was believed that melancholy is a disorder in link with the blood, which is false.
just romantic ideas of third peraon observations.
Nah, I don't think are just my ideas. For example, Plato, has made the observation in his writtings that all those who succed in politics, arts, writtings and other exigent vocations are melancholics. And yes, I know that in modern times things are a bit different, but that is just because the values of society have been changed. IN other words, the framework is completely different.
Plato and Aristotle have said also that there are many kinds of melancholics, each of them with different strenghts, but it was observed that one type of melancholics are the best objectively, the ones who have very powerful developed intuition.
Now, I don't entirely agree with Plato, but this is what he said, and not only him, but many others, some even in the present times.

I think every man is amazing in his own way, and everyone of them is original. Also, every type (including INFJs) are really good at something, naturally.
The thing with INFJs is this:
They work very hard. They want meaning, and they take it seriously all their life. Intensity is the word that describe them, and you can see it even in their eyes. It's like they have a fire in them, that burns there silently inside. And is not that other types can not do that, it's just that other types are very laid-back with life in general.

The internet is right in front of you, it doesn't take but 5 seconds to search "famous/influential INFJs" I understand your need to attack the idea that INFJs have come to be great people, but I don't care for it if you're going to belittle those who made that factual statement. If you want to have a meaningful conversation that's one thing, but you don't need to attack the believes of random people over the internet because you feel insouciant. INFJs get enough bull shit and ridicule from people in the real world who don't understand, I very much doubt anyone needs it on a forum by people who share a likeness. If you feel the need to argue with someone go to Twitter.

https://www.personalitymax.com/personality-types/infj-confidant
http://psychology.about.com/od/trait-theories-personality/a/Infj.htm

Famous INFJs

By looking at their lives and works, researchers have suggested that a number of famous individuals exhibit personality traits consistent with the INFJ personality type. Some of these famed figures include:

Billy Crystal, actor
Chaucer, poet
Gillian Anderson, actress
Nathaniel Hawthorne, author
Robert Burns, poet
Nicole Kidman, actress
Nelson Mandela, former President of South Africa
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, writer
Robert Burns, poet
Martin Luther King, Jr., civil rights leader
Some fictional characters with INFJ personalities include:

Luke Skywalker, Star Wars