INFJ Musicians? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ Musicians?

I'm a drummer hehe.
Drummer! Awesome. I've wanted to drum since I was a kid, but have never taken it up the way I'd like to. Right now I'm still getting my kicks by playing with the Rock Band (videogame) drum set, but I've been looking into electronic drum/pad kits. Having a traditional drum set in my house probably wouldn't go over so well. :)

If you had to name one artist who has been a big influence on you, who would it be?
If I'm going to answer this honestly, it's either Depeche Mode or Delerium. But, really, I've taken inspiration from pop, rock, jazz, classical, industrial, punk, hip hop, experimental, you name it. There are so many brilliant artists out there.

well,.... I play the piano and fiddle...and I like to mess around with flutes and the like....really just about anything. My whole family sings, but only a couple played anything. They were all ear too. I can't say I am a pianist because I can't read music, but I write my own. It bored me to learn...I like the thought of running before I crawl :) I am putting together a CD right now with all the songs I have written(recorded) over the years.
Also, I got to travel around for a while and play the fiddle with a bluegrass band. That was really really neat.
The fiddle is my fun and the piano is my heart. lol I write by inspiration only. I am finishing up the sweetest love song ever right now. :)

I picked up guitar and taught myself rather quickly. I've been playing for about 2.5 years and was the lead guitarist/singer in a band after a year and a half. Before that i played violin until like third grade.

And i agree with billy that Thom Yorke is an INFJ

I play the guitar a bit. Been playing for around 2.5 years.

Influences? Let's see... The Smiths, Pixies, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Velvet Underground, Nick Drake.

+1 on Thom Yorke. Also, Morrissey.

I play the guitar a bit. Been playing for around 2.5 years.

Influences? Let's see... The Smiths, Pixies, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Velvet Underground, Nick Drake.

+1 on Thom Yorke. Also, Morrissey.

Morrisey INFJ? He's always given me a grumpy ISTJ vibe.

Also thinking about it, Thom Yorke seems rather ISFJ to me...

Last edited:
Reactions: Arsal
Piano and guitar, and it's my favorite thing in the world. I'm a Dave Matthews fan, but also like Phish, Dire Straits, Arcade Fire.

Drummer! Awesome. I've wanted to drum since I was a kid, but have never taken it up the way I'd like to. Right now I'm still getting my kicks by playing with the Rock Band (videogame) drum set, but I've been looking into electronic drum/pad kits. Having a traditional drum set in my house probably wouldn't go over so well.

Electronic drums are the way to go if you don't want to annoy the neighbors and have limited space! They don't have any of the sensitivity an acoustic kit does but they are a lot of fun and are great for learning :)

I think Tom Yorke could be INFJ but not Morrisey!
I am finishing up the sweetest love song ever right now.
You should post your song! :D

Was gifted with an ear for it, but do not enjoy reading it. Love picking out tunes without the notes.

Was gifted with an ear for it, but do not enjoy reading it. Love picking out tunes without the notes.

I completely agree. I always feel like I'm cheating when I have to resort to sheet music.

I love music - singing, listening, what have you. I'm a decent back-up singer and I love singing in small groups but I'm no soloist (I'm too nervous to solo).

Both my father and grandfather were singers; my grandfather was actually kind of famous and was in a few Hollywood movies of the 1930s. One of the songs he sung is still known today, and is occasionally sung by folks. :)

As for famous INFJ singers, we actually have a thread for it somewhere around here. But my favorite at the moment is The National's Matt Berninger. He smacks of INFJ to me for some reason. :)

Reactions: jyrffw54
Kanye West, Madonna, Bjork.

Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel. A lot of people would type him as INFP, and I would too, but then he says something like this:
"Everything in the natural world is so amazing, but because we're used to seeing it in one way we take it for granted. We can see an anthill or a roach or a flower or anything, but we have this frame where our mind recognizes an anthill and then moves on, without taking the opportunity to have the sense of awe that we could have if we really looked at it. The montage is about taking pieces of reality and rearranging them-- creating new frames to make you have to stop and look at things in a fresh way. It's basically taking pieces of everyday reality and rearranging them to show people the magic that is inherent in all of these things already."
And my brain is doing backflips, because this is such an INFJ motive. This is Ni at its purest.

Matt Berninger? Very likely.

a band consisting of solely infjs would be a veritable nightmare.

i sing by myself a lot. And I write lyrics, but not music in itself.

I'm an avid singer, been into a lot of opera lately, but I mostly started in high school choir. Kind of stuck with it for a while, but had to pursue other academic related goals to get where I am now. Had a couple songs recorded with some friends of mine, floating around somewhere on the internet maybe, but music has always been a bit of comfort at times when I needed it. It's been consistently there, I may leave it for a while, but it's like nothings changed.

Someone should give a listen to The Reign of Kindo, a good one to start with is Deep Blue Sea. Lemme know what you think?

I play guitar. And I like to write songs. It;s the tunes in my head that I make up that I try to play. It's a full time hobby. Every once and awhile I get one done and recorded. I have so many influences musically. I like all kinds of music. I really like Hendrix. The way he was able to shape his sound and expand it was amazing. He was operating on a whole different plane. I really like George Harrison too. His music has a very deep meaning lyrically. I also like Depeche Mode A lot. Huge Oingio Boingo Fan too. And Radiohead too. Mozart is another I like. I have too many. I am going to quit. I can't pick one.

I have played the alto saxophone for four years in both concert band and jazz/big band.
I quite enjoy singing loudly when no one is around, but that is the extent of my singing. xD

My whole family on either side are very much into music, trivia and pure love on the one side and playing music on the other although my one grandmother and I are the only two who play regularly. (I think she's an ISTJ).

I play acoustic guitar as a full-time hobby and have been playing (self-taught though) for 18 years. I also like to sing and can keep my pitch and all but am extremely shy about who I'll sing for. I play fingerstyle and am very good at rhythm but suck at soloing. I'd like to learn, though. I make up lots of instrumental songs and am primarily inspired guitar-wise by Suzanne Vega (for her use of simple chords made to sound complex with interesting picking and open strings) and Kaki King (for, well, everything but particularly her rhythm).

I also play tin whistle occasionally, which stems from my clarinet background having played in band from 4th-8th grades. From that I can read sheet music okay but prefer to play by ear. I tried learning the accordion once - it was a LOT of fun but really hard! So much coordination! :shocked: Dorkiest instrument ever these days but ever so satisfying if you can learn even the most basic song. :smile:

I agree, I am not sure an all-INFJ band would be so great. We'd spend too much time trying to compromise and each feel we're losing our personal ideals in the mix. :rolleyes: But it would be interesting to see what happened! Who knows, maybe the Idealist in everyone would make it work out in the end.

I am not sure an all-INFJ band would be so great. We'd spend too much time trying to compromise and each feel we're losing our personal ideals in the mix. :rolleyes: But it would be interesting to see what happened! Who knows, maybe the Idealist in everyone would make it work out in the end.
Agreed. Everyone would want to solo, but no one would want to volunteer.

Also thinking about it, Thom Yorke seems rather ISFJ to me...

What ISFJ attributes do you think Thom Yorke has?
I think his lyrics are too abstract for an ISFJ. I think they have a ring of NF to them.

Music is a huge part of my life. I'm a singer-songwriter, and was trained classically, though I prefer folk.

I also play several instruments including harp, violin, viola, mandolin, banjo and recorder. I love music. it allows me to express myself when words fail me.

I've recently gotten back into instruments after a four year hiatus! I'm planning on taking some piano lessons at a community college and leech off the piano lab. lol