^_^
Retired Staff
Mar 9, 2009
Gridania
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I read somewhere that INFJs as lawyers are usually unhappy. I can imagine why this would be- occupations in law often involve either dealing with society's worst on a regular basis or working for one person, business, or political organization to help them screw over another through political or judicial law. Of course, there is such a thing as human right's law, but how many people do that? Then you have other things like human resources law, which I would bet falls inbetween.

Anyway, the question is this: are these unhappy INFJ lawyers unhappy because they are lawyers or are they lawyers because they are unhappy? Or both?

Is anyone here a lawyer or did anyone here try to be a lawyer and/or have any insight into this at all?

Gosh---i'm not a lawyer, sorry. But i'm definitely contemplating it as a career...jeez, I feel the same way as you do on this one! I hope there is someone who could give us insight!

I could never be a lawyer. Simply because if I didn't get agree with my client, I could not force myself to defend them. I would have no problem with lying. However, I think I would get too impassioned at some points and ruin it.

Reactions: Rin
Maybe depends on what type of lawyer it is? I don't think all lawyers are soul-less. In fact, if I were a lawyer I would work pro-bono for women of domestic violence or victims of rape. But that's me. You can usually find me skipping in the streets a trail of rainbows and cupcakes and bunny rabbits and a marching band composed of walrus' in uniform following behind in a la-la land that may or may not exist..because I am infp.

Last edited:
Court official: "Put your right hand on the Bible. Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?"

INFJ: "Define 'truth'."

heh or in satyas case:

"I'm not a deluded individual, I don't believe in any god to swear in, nor that one would help me if there was. Similarly you're asking me to swear on a book that explicitly forbids swearing and making of oaths. I will make no such oath."

heh or in satyas case:

"I'm not a deluded individual, I don't believe in any god to swear in, nor that one would help me if there was. Similarly you're asking me to swear on a book that explicitly forbids swearing and making of oaths. I will make no such oath."

I'm not quite that bad am I? :mcute:

I wanted to be a lawyer when I was in high school. It appealed to my argumentative nature. Sometimes I wonder how things would have turned out had i stayed going down that path. I don't think I would have been unhappy.

I'm not quite that bad am I? :mcute:

I wanted to be a lawyer when I was in high school. It appealed to my argumentative nature. Sometimes I wonder how things would have turned out had i stayed going down that path. I don't think I would have been unhappy.

I have a feeling if you got into it, you would want to get out of it as soon as it started.

Father's in that occupation.
Not a good one, he seems extremely depressed with it. He originally wanted to be a teacher but then things turned in a different direction. I wonder if he ever regrets it.

My mom's an xNFJ lawyer. She does pretty well in the position, I think, and she makes herself happy enough. I think the justice part of it appeals to her, and she likes having her say in things; she's a fairly balanced person, and she is a strong and domineering personality -- an INFJ that has found her voice and her path, and sticks to it.

That's a good position for someone like that.

I think it depends on what sort of law work it is. Some areas of law don't have a distinct line of justice, that could make and INFJ unhappy.

It sucks. But mostly because of the incompetence/lack of compassionate nature/shortsightedness of superiors mixed in with a particular area of law that will never pay back the mounds of debt.

I am an INFJ and in my third-year of law school. I despise it. Seriously. The only thing I could tolerate was interning for a state supreme court justice. I liked hiding away in the chambers and writing all day. Overall, however, it definitely has not worked for me. I might try mediation. I don't know! I'm just so lost!

I read somewhere that INFJs as lawyers are usually unhappy. I can imagine why this would be- occupations in law often involve either dealing with society's worst on a regular basis or working for one person, business, or political organization to help them screw over another through political or judicial law. Of course, there is such a thing as human right's law, but how many people do that? Then you have other things like human resources law, which I would bet falls inbetween.

Anyway, the question is this: are these unhappy INFJ lawyers unhappy because they are lawyers or are they lawyers because they are unhappy? Or both?

Is anyone here a lawyer or did anyone here try to be a lawyer and/or have any insight into this at all?

Most lawyers are unhappy. Ive heard of lawyers calling it "soul leeching work" because when they get off work they literally feel like they lost part of their soul.

I lasted a year and a half in law school. It just caught up with me and I realized that it could never make me happy. I've decided to go into teaching instead :)

I worked for one when I was interested in becoming a paralegal for a short time. Of course I wanted to gouge my eyes out over all the divorces I was writing. The lawyer I worked for practiced family law and DUI cases, which is interesting because she worked for the prosecutors office with DUI before going out on her own. She was very good at what she did, discovering all the loop-holes, but this sickened me. There were other issues with divorce that made my stomach turn ... just the overall negativity. I think this is key to note with INFJs, b/c negativity can become all consuming unless you are crooked ... and I don't know too many crooked INFJs.

She allowed me to handle and research her Guardian Ad Litem cases through Probate court, which usually involved the death of a person or a mentally handicapped adult. I enjoyed working with her on those, as the research and work involved is not much different than what I do as a CASA. I think an INFJ would be great at Guardian Ad Litem work, but in order to do so you are basically working for the court through appointment. At the same time, the Guardian Ad Litems on my cases through Juvenile Court are basically just starting out, and are not paid by the court, but by the deadbeat parents of the children. In addition, they manage a heavy caseload.

Guardian Ad Litems have the best interest in mind of the individual, who is usually the victim ... feeling like you are protecting them feels very rewarding.

Hey I was thinking, I would like an INFJ Lawyer, based in UK :) could you send me a message if you are one.