INFJ intelligence | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ intelligence

I dont think the INFJs need any more people telling them how superior they are to everyone else.

Reactions: tfg345i4u5lw
Posted by [MENTION=2578]Kgal[/MENTION]:
I cannot find the words to describe what I see/know/grasp/understand. end quote

When talking about intelligence, what we see, know, grasp, and understand could very well be a partial definition of intelligence. How we gather this information and how we portray it will be different.

Hi! I apologize in advance for my english, as it is not my mother-tongue. I would like to say I really appreciate what you wrote. About the topic who´s smarter or not I wanna say that it is no good to argue without having research results in hands. Anyway, my opinion is that every thought starts in its very beginning like a slight feeling. INFJs, I think, can feel emotions more strongly so we can more easily judge about the ideas, which are correct and which are not. And this is logic. Our way to think logically is not set by generally agreed rules, like "we agreed that apples are red" so according to this rule/logic it will never be logical to say "apples are green as well". Other thingis that people in general tend to remeber emotions more that ideas. We (INFJs) are in advantage again, as we recall the memories better as we connect them to our feelings. The other thing I wanted to say is that whatever some might say, intelligence is very individual and depends on more things.

I dont think the INFJs need any more people telling them how superior they are to everyone else.

Really, All I hear are the INTJ's saying how superior THEY are. (not that we should be separating superiority by types since that's not what the test was designed for anyways)

http://personalityjunkie.com/the-infj/

A misconception about INFJs is that because they prefer Feeling they are less likely to be interested in intellectual endeavors. Nothing could be farther from the truth... In fact, they rival and resemble INTs in their level of openness and hunger for new ideas and perspectives. In some regards, they may actually eclipse INTs with regard to intellectual openness, readily appreciating both science and literature, fiction and nonfiction, poetry and prose.

While INFJs are deeply theoretical, they are less impressed by theories built by a mere assemblage of facts or data. Rather than being “fact” oriented, INFJs concern themselves with forging new connections and reconciling opposites by way of their Intuition. They feel that everything is somehow connected to everything else, forming a vast and interconnected web. For INFJs, discovering truth involves getting a better handle on the nature of this connectedness and the holographic patterns of the universe. In fact, this happens to be one of the signature strengths of their Ni, which subconsciously processes and synthesizes copious amounts of information, wraps it up in the form of a symbol or metaphor, and proceeds to upload into the INFJ’s consciousness.

I will echo your assessment of this site, which is written by an INTP btw, but I would like to read the quotes in context.
The second quote, which begins - "While INFJs are deeply theoretical..." - is in the body of the text of the link provided, but I cannot find where on the site the first quote - "A misconception about INFJs is..." - is located.
I have gone through all the INFJ links on the site, which I have bookmarked, but fail to discover this quote.
Could you provide a link to the site's page where you pulled this quote from, please?

I don't understand why it's supposedly so hard for INFJs to explain themselves. Usually I can pinpoint exactly what an INFJ is trying to articulate/piece together when they are struggling to do so, and explain it back to them. It's not like the thoughts or concepts are incredibly complex or anything either. Can't you guys train your Ti to look inward so that you can piece out how you reached your conclusions to others in a clear cut way?

I don't understand why it's supposedly so hard for INFJs to explain themselves. Usually I can pinpoint exactly what an INFJ is trying to articulate/piece together when they are struggling to do so, and explain it back to them. It's not like the thoughts or concepts are incredibly complex or anything either. Can't you guys train your Ti to look inward so that you can piece out how you reached your conclusions to others in a clear cut way?

Depends on who we are explaining ourselves to and why. If given ample prep time then yeah it can work pretty well. Put on the spot I tend to wing it and while some people get it easy enough, others scratch their heads, and a few just say it is bullshit and move on. *shrugs* I've reached the point now where I don't really fret over making sure they have the whole roadmap of how I got to X from Y over every little thing. If they don't like my X then they can find their own and get pissy when they find out it is roughly same conclusion. If it is something I have researched thoroughly I'll offer them up the same stack of books I've read through or give a list of website links to further help their conclusion, or if they act an ass about it I tell them to google it and wish them good luck.

Reactions: muir

The reason it's hard for me to explain myself in many situations, is that i see something crystal clear, while others are completely blind to what i see - but for them to understand it, and for me to explain it - i have to disconnect from my feelings and intuition, and connect to my hard logic, and then back and forth in order to put it all into a formula that thinking people will understand. This is very exhausting to do, especially in the middle of a conversation. I usually do these connections when i'm alone. My brain goes to travels inside and all sorts of awesome connections between my left brain and right brain are made. But doing this in the middle of an argument for example, is just extremely tedious and annoying. Especially when people condescend, thinking they are superior because you don't have the "scientific evidence" they are looking for, while you are understanding the situation so much better than them. It's quite ridiculous sometimes.

i think i'm super smart. i also think my cat has friends over when i'm asleep

Reactions: grt$5vb
The reason it's hard for me to explain myself in many situations, is that i see something crystal clear, while others are completely blind to what i see - but for them to understand it, and for me to explain it - i have to disconnect from my feelings and intuition, and connect to my hard logic, and then back and forth in order to put it all into a formula that thinking people will understand. This is very exhausting to do, especially in the middle of a conversation. I usually do these connections when i'm alone. My brain goes to travels inside and all sorts of awesome connections between my left brain and right brain are made. But doing this in the middle of an argument for example, is just extremely tedious and annoying. Especially when people condescend, thinking they are superior because you don't have the "scientific evidence" they are looking for, while you are understanding the situation so much better than them. It's quite ridiculous sometimes.

I think it's ridiculous that anyone would think it to be ridiculous to be asked for proof or explanations, especially if you're all going to be going on about how you understand things so much better than everyone else.

I think it's ridiculous that anyone would think it to be ridiculous to be asked for proof or explanations, especially if you're all going to be going on about how you understand things so much better than everyone else.

I don't go on about how i understand things so much better than everyone else when in an argument. Besides, i don't always understand better than everyone else, just most of the time. When it comes to understanding people well, it's always, so far.

Anyhow, that's the way it is. And i'll tell you further why it is like that... Sometimes explaining how i know something would require half an hour even if i was fully connected to my thinking side (which is quite strong by the way). I understand things very deeply sometimes that in order to explain them i have to explain certain unconventional 'networks' of knowledge inside my head... In short... If you don't like talking to INFJs... :)

5852.haters18_27813481.jpg

Last edited:
I don't go on about how i understand things so much better than everyone else when in an argument. Besides, i don't always understand better than everyone else, just most of the time. When it comes to understanding people well, it's always, so far.

Anyhow, that's the way it is. And i'll tell you further why it is like that... Sometimes explaining how i know something would require half an hour even if i was fully connected to my thinking side (which is quite strong by the way). I understand things very deeply sometimes that in order to explain them i have to explain certain unconventional 'networks' of knowledge inside my head... In short... If you don't like talking to INFJs... :)

I'm just gonna jump into this real quick and say that such is your fault, not anyone else's. You are not a special snowflake because of being an INFJ. You are different, not better. Just because your primary idea-forming processes are internal doesn't mean you can't develop them until they are balanced with your external idea-forming processes. Being able to have a deep internal understanding of an idea is meaningless if you cannot share and develop that idea with others, which should be your endgoal. After all, isn't the idea in itself worthless if it cannot be shared? By simply claiming that you have too deep of an understanding for something to explain it, you are placing limitations on yourself and your abilities.

Oh, and there's nothing to suggest that any personality type is inherently more intelligent than another type. There's no catch-all metric for intelligence and us INFJs being rare does not mean that we are necessarily smarter than anyone else.
We have a unique predisposition to having a well-developed awareness of the world, ourselves, and the people around us, but that predisposition doesn't mean much if we don't grab it by the horns and take full advantage of it.

Reactions: barbad0s
I'd just like to throw out there that being a xxTx type does not necessarily indicate how logical one is. F types can be just as logical, sometimes more, sometimes less than a T type. The difference is that one makes decisions/prioritizes based on logic, the other on value. Both comes from a place of rational decision making (not emotional reactions).

From a technical standpoint of just arguing functions, and removing the element of the individual, Ti trumps Te for accuracy.

Te = git r done
Ti = git r done right

When I try to piece together my thoughts or concepts for others to follow they usually get lost in it. I always find it refreshing and am very grateful whenever someone such as yourself can pinpoint what I'm struggling to say.

To me it's as if I'm always in a state of being a giant jigsaw puzzle and whenever you ask me to articulate my thoughts - I pause. I have to sift through the myriad pieces that I think are relevant to the question. But in truth - it's practically a book of information that led to the thought. I know you don't want to hear all of that! :tongue1:

I end up arriving to the place that [MENTION=2727]Skathac[/MENTION] does. If you give me enough time I can pull it together. Otherwise.... [shrug]

I'm just gonna jump into this real quick and say that such is your fault, not anyone else's. You are not a special snowflake because of being an INFJ. You are different, not better.

I don't think i am better. I know i'm different. I stopped reading here. It seems like you have some issues with your self and you choose to throw them at me instead of settling thing on your own.

I don't think i am better. I know i'm different. I stopped reading here. It seems like you have some issues with your self and you choose to throw them at me instead of settling thing on your own.

If you didn't think you were better for being an INFJ, you wouldn't be definitively saying that you "understand better than everyone else, just most of the time," or that you understand people better than others all of the time.