INFJ intelligence | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

INFJ intelligence

I wouldn’t say I’m the sharpest tool in the shed, but I just know things. Or perhaps I’m extremely brilliant and just know things! :tonguewink:

There was always some super genius edging me out.
So you were just a genius, not a super one? Tough ;)

Just kidding. Thanks for sharing that story, it kind of hits home, at least when it comes to my teenage years. I was never top of the class in high school, more like 2nd or 3rd. I believe the top people in my class were both INTPs, actually. Interestingly, one of these two seems to have "peaked" around 20, and not to have shone as much as expected in his later studies. The other one, more so. But ultimately I think it may be fair to say that (academically) I peaked higher than the both of them.

I genuinely believe the whole "looking at things from a different perspective" is one of the greatest strengths of the INFJ. It's just not easily graded in school / IQ tests.

Reactions: Ginny and Wyote
I genuinely believe the whole "looking at things from a different perspective" is one of the greatest strengths of the INFJ. It's just not easily graded in school / IQ tests.

I should clarify that this is funny to me because the giraffe is known for being the animal that represents an ability to see new perspectives, and the lion is a big cat and cats are a thing around here.
28-286495037.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ren
But ultimately I think it may be fair to say that (academically) I peaked higher than the both of them.

Whatever the social stratum is in high school is really no predictor at all of success in the real world. That should tell you something about the system itself.

I do think about intellect a lot and while I don't feel free to discuss it and sound like an arrogant meanhead with people I know IRL, it can't hurt to vent and ask online with those of you who are also considering these same things that are on my mind.

What I've found is that there are types- INTP and ENTP to name a few- that seem to believe in general that the memorization of facts and rules of debate and whatnot is what makes a person intelligent. I can't disagree more. While I personally have a relatively large store of trivia and "did you know's," I think real intelligence goes so much deeper.

It goes much deeper than test scores and reading levels can reflect, and so often I find myself mentally humbled by my friends who couldn't begin to compete with me in school but easily find solutions in the real world while I look on in horror at the realization that I can be a real idiot.

I also need to ask this question- other INFJs, did you correct your teachers and did they like you so much that they didn't even mind? Did you tutor the kids grades above you? Did you finish your tests in half the time it took everyone else? Please don't take this as me bragging. I can't talk to people I know about these things because I've found that those who never have to study or try often receive the brunt of the frustration of those who work and struggle but still fail.

So I wonder if other INFJs were alienated as kids
because of how effortless and natural school was for them. It seems like I had better friendships with my teachers than with the students from 3rd grade through high school. Sometimes my teachers would accidentally abandon their lesson plans because my questions would spark deep discussions (still on the right topic). Other times I felt my teachers were pitting my classmates against me by telling them that they used my tests as the key for grading, by instructing the class to split into two teams for a game: me vs. everyone else, by bringing me gifts and allowing me to break rules, etc.

Someone tell me about your experience as an INFJ in school- were you the top of your class?

I was a drop out. Most of my school career was a fight to go or get work done. I hated homework. My home time should be mine. It is my biggest regret now not getting everything I could squeeze out of it. I love learning. Wasn't till I had kids that I understood doing things I don't want to do. I strongly disliked history and math. Lit classes were ok but I wouldn't read outside of class so I did poor there too. I really wish I would have pushed science courses. I could have contributed everywhere more had I any discipline. My nephew is so much like me. I wish I could share how much he is missing out. I'm not saying it was wasted time. I learned a lot about people trying to figure out who I was.
Still don't know that answer.

Whatever the social stratum is in high school is really no predictor at all of success in the real world. That should tell you something about the system itself.
Agreed, it's actually the very same issue in France. Maybe some systems are more fair?

Reactions: Wyote
Agreed, it's actually the very same issue in France. Maybe some systems are more fair?

I don't think there is any school system that can really be called fair. There are always people who are treated unfairly, or feel that they are. But I think the Finnish come quite close to an advancing system.

Reactions: Wyote