INFJ gone wrong | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

INFJ gone wrong

Ok I know nothing about MBTI but am curious to know how I came across when I was in shadow mode through my youth and twenties:

I became hard, cold, vindictive, rebellious, honed in on a person’s weakness and used it against them, verbally critical of others in such a way that was to the point and most painful, withheld affection to inflict pain on others, interacted in an standoffish manner, was not caring if a person’s feelings were hurt, if I was slighted in the least way I would respond with all guns blazing. I hated myself doing this but I was angry for having to exist in an unforgiving world and lashed out at whoever crossed my path. My main demeanour was always hard, cold, standoffish (I gave a clear message: stay away) I would have bouts of regret and guilt that would last longer and longer until I realigned myself.

Any ideas?

when I get low I know I get very cold, self-centered and manipulative (without realizing it). I make grand assumptions about how people feel about me that are usually way off-base and then accuse them. I don't consider what affect my words have on others and blindly take stabs at them, even though I'm normally very conscious of it.

so I guess you could say the "ESTP shadow mode" is true for me, too.

What would an INFJ gone wrong be like? Say they'd had a rough start, lived in shadow for a while, made some very ironic and out of character choices in life (i.e. dropping out of school despite previously loving it), maybe they were brutally abused... you get where I'm going...

What would the result be like?

A total evil genius!

Wiccan qabbalist that has sold one's soul to the devil to pursue ESTP-like gratification while remaining a mystic. Not enough charisma to become a cult-leader ENFJ type, but will definitely have a quieter cult following due to one's amazing insight into the minds of others and the ability to brainwash individuals on a one-on-one or small-group basis. Ni will perform such spectacular signs and wonders that will awe the INFJs followers. The INFJ will seem ENtP-like as intuition branches out into an attitude of extraversion in order to better inform the strategic Ni, socially manipulative Fe and calculating Ti functions. Ti will delude the INFJ into thinking that while one may be doing wrong, at least one is proceeding with logical/theoretical consistency. Fi will demand that people adopt hedonism and self-idolatry as the paramount value, providing Fe with a social currency within the sinful social structure that is being created. The demonic function Si will provide blackmail material for exposing the sins of others. The trickster function Te will be a feared taskmaster, wielding the demonic powers of Si, and together with strategic Ni, will make the INFJ an INTJ-like mastermind. The INFJ gone totally wrong is like a fallen angel dragging a long train of people down into hell with oneself.

I-nsidious
N-efarious
F-raudulent
J-uggernaut

=Rasputin?! http://maxpages.com/rasputian/Life_Summary_of_Rasputin

:m162:

My wild Fi-magination just scared the sh*t out of me.

:md:

INFJ's gone wrong?

Play Silent Hill 3.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kwKTdEjwyQ&feature=related"]YouTube- ‪Silent Hill 3: Claudia's Wrath‬‎[/ame]

Ahem. Weren't we supposed to be discussing INFJs gone wrong? As in, how INFJs behave under stress, or how a bad development environment might turn them into something negative like a dictator, or a cult leader?

I do not believe that Billy's type, Indigo's type, or Indigo's fitness as a moderator have anything whatsoever to do with that topic.

In other words:

:focus:

Oh, where's someone with powers when you need them? Please split this off, it's killing the thread.

Let me add something relevant to the thread itself:

In my experience, INFJs under stress don't always go to the shadow mode predicted. I've seen them go ISTJ, ENFP, ESTP, ISTP, INTP, ESFJ, and others. The way an INFJ breaks down is often unique to the type of stress, and the personal idiosyncratic functional/psychological make up of that INFJ.

Some form of xSTx is the most common under severe stress, however. That's the only thing I'm sure of.

Last edited:
Reactions: dneecey
I think I've mentioned to you before that I do not believe you to be an INFJ Billy, not that it should really matter either way, you have no reason to value my opinion after all *shrugs*

I found it very interesting that when I when through a crap time my preferences changed to become Ti dominant, the interesting thing being that Ti is the 3rd preference for an INFJ which is kinda coined as the relief preference....or some similar name anyways.

I also think that maybe the shift in the preference order depends on the problematic environment/situation not to mention how you've been taught to combat such problems.....though admittedly I would have thought that there would be a reasonably clear pattern to the shift and the type of problem it really wouldn't always be 100% cert, not to mention intelligence would also be a factor and how bad the situation is.

any thoughts?

My 'gone wrong' personality appears to be an evil version of an ENTP. My Fe and Ti switch places and intuition gets oriented at the environment around me. People start appearing more alike objects. My main goal becomes to rearrange the objects for my own benefit. My ego strengthens, my confidence shoots up, talkativeness increases, attention span significantly shortens. There is just no time to think deeply about anything or self-reflect as my mind is busy calculating and interacting with the environment around me. Fe is used mostly to backup the strategy that the other functions arrived at to get people to do what I wish. This is a rather aggressive mode that gets triggered when I am directly confronted. Interestingly enough interaction over the internet also often activates my Ti over Fe.

When I am just generally stressed by environment Se does let itself know but it definitely never replaces my intuition. I usually start indulging in behaviors that bring physical pleasure like overeating and oversleeping. When I was continuously stressed by homework, exams, etc. I had issues with food and then obsessive exercising at the gym and my sleep schedule would go bonkers. I did not feel ESTPish at all but it just seemed that my normally dormant Se was suddenly demanding blood.

Last edited:
As others said, I think it comes down to some basic foundation-factors; if you were raised morally but get stressed or raised immorally and don;t know right from wrong. I thin kany of us who were raised to tell right from wrong, whether it was through friends, family or just reading a book enter shadow mode when we're stress and our Se starts to poke its ugly head through.

It's hard to imagine an immoral INFJ though, other than they must be some of the worse kind of people possible. They would more than likely end up thinking their actions were serving humanity somehow and wouldn't take kindly to people saying they were wrong or even listen to criticisms. Whatever the case, they pain they would inflict they would likely have to see as beneficial for their victims.

Though I'm sure if you start talking about politics, you can end up naming a few evil INFJ types; just look for the "R" after their name :).