INFJ and 'Gut Feelings' | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

INFJ and 'Gut Feelings'

I know what these gut feelings are... I have had them before, more so like premonitions. They were always negative as well. I remember it would suddenly come to me, like this feeling of dread and the thought would enter my mind like, "What if this happened..?" And it always did happen. It would be a very random occurrence as well. I would always try to shake it off and convince myself that I'm wrong. Sadly it was always right. Since I am prone to anxiety sometimes these worries can get mixed up with my intuition. However if I think deeply enough and really try to concentrate on my instinct, I can normally sense what is or isn't likely to happen.
I don't know if that is truly psychic phenomena or not. I laugh sometimes because I remember way back when I was in grade 6, we had a close group of friends. I remember having this feeling that something was going to happen along the way that would pull apart our group. I told this to my closest friend in the group. It did happen later on in the year, and I remember my friend telling me, "I really think you're psychic Alice." She was serious too. I was upset because I didn't want to be considered psychic. :D

I think beyond that though, to put it in a more realistic sense, perhaps we have such a strong intuition not because we are psychic, but due to the fact that we have a strong ability to read people and analyze situations.

I don't chew my food so I often get a bloated gut

I'm actually learning that Ni, when used properly, should be utilized only for insight, not for contemplating what other people are thinking. As analytical as an INFJ can be due to their Ti, and as concerned about how they relate to others due to their Fe, it can be a recipe for disaster. It can create self consciousness that seems borderline pathological to people. It can mean constant concern of how what you say and do can affect other people's perceptions of you and constantly trying to predict outcomes based on the gut feelings you develop toward people.

Ni seeks to find deeper meanings to things and a person has to be careful where that is focused because sometimes there simply isn't any deeper meaning than what can be seen on the surface. It's a natural desire to understand more than what is readily evident, but that can turn into worry, paranoia, and suspicions if it is focused externally as opposed to internally. Finding deeper meanings to yourself and your beliefs is Ni's task, and if INFJs try to use Ni like Ne, then INFJs will live in a world of constant fear and anxiety. What is facisnating is that the "psychic" capacities aren't hindered by focusing Ni inward, but rather increased because a person becomes more aware of how others would act in a given situation because they understand how they would act in that situation.

Quite true.

I don't even notice my intuition, most of the time. I can't say I lean on it, but then, my function order places both Ni and Ne as my most-used functions, so I might just have a good control over them.

I can say that I know things about people that they don't know that I know. I can figure most people out very quickly, and explain to them why they do things. I have urges to pick up my cell phone right before I get a text, and I feel the dynamics between people without trying.

In fact, that's kind of the key. If I don't try, I'm almost always right.

It's nice, especially academically. :D

I'm actually learning that Ni, when used properly, should be utilized only for insight, not for contemplating what other people are thinking. As analytical as an INFJ can be due to their Ti, and as concerned about how they relate to others due to their Fe, it can be a recipe for disaster. It can create self consciousness that seems borderline pathological to people. It can mean constant concern of how what you say and do can affect other people's perceptions of you and constantly trying to predict outcomes based on the gut feelings you develop toward people.

Ni seeks to find deeper meanings to things and a person has to be careful where that is focused because sometimes there simply isn't any deeper meaning than what can be seen on the surface. It's a natural desire to understand more than what is readily evident, but that can turn into worry, paranoia, and suspicions if it is focused externally as opposed to internally. Finding deeper meanings to yourself and your beliefs is Ni's task, and if INFJs try to use Ni like Ne, then INFJs will live in a world of constant fear and anxiety. What is facisnating is that the "psychic" capacities aren't hindered by focusing Ni inward, but rather increased because a person becomes more aware of how others would act in a given situation because they understand how they would act in that situation.

Agree %100

Awesome. Like...wow, I have to share this with our little Anchorage MBTI cult. This is so often what bothers me about Ni primaries, even though Ni is my strongest "off function," just above Fi.

Ni really is only a function that should be used inwardly (and it's incredible for its purpose...most of my personal problems have been realized by just sleeping or doing something else while Ni slowly works and comes up with the answer). I know an INTJ who is really good about this and as a result is a very developed person. I know an INFJ in real life who is very underdeveloped for just the opposite reason...she tries to explain the world totally in terms of Ni...to the point it just gets cooky and (forgive my Ti here) nonsensical.

Another awesome Satya quote. :)

Yes I do think we get gut feelings about certain things. I've had two experiences with this, one when I first met my brother's first girlfriend (I just had a bad feeling about her and instantly did not like her), and the other was the day my brother was in a car accident I just felt something was wrong but couldn't fit what. Both ended up being true (his girlfriend ended up dumping him for another guy)
I think it's more that bad things tend to have more emotion to them. Think of it like how many times have you cried when you are sad and how many times have you cried when you are happy? I can only recall one set of "joyful tears" but many sets of sad tears. (if you get where I'm going)

this is blowing my mind...i had signed up a while back and only tonight started reading stuff on here. wow.

it's true, we do have a crazy way of putting pieces in our heads to know stuff. i mostly dream of people's illnesses. people who don't know me think i'm crazy until they get to see example after example of how i dream reality before it's reality. i used to think i could make stuff happen, and to some degree i can. i think it's more like how you said, though, like puzzles. i figure it's like a machine, life is like a machine...you put in the right codes and the outcomes are there. or, i can read the codes and make sense of the outcomes faster than most people. i graduated high school and colege very young, and very drunk, and i think it was mostly cuz i'm so good at creating systems of things in my head

but definitely, to the guy that started the post, definitely have predicted many disasters and deaths and the closer i am to someone the more i "feel" them in my skin. I've called family up n told em something awful's happened, only to find out i called minutes prior to deaths, or once i called my parents n told em i was dreaming there were dreadful worms in my stomach and i foudn out my nephew had just started puking up cheetos. those are just a few examples...i sent my sister girls baby clothes before my sis called me to let me know she was pregnant, n it really did turn out to be a girl. the scariest one was all the dreams i had as a kid of these rooms, n as time passed my parents built those rooms behind out house!!! ugh better shut up i get creeped out