INFJ and Emotional Intelligence | INFJ Forum

INFJ and Emotional Intelligence

Bobsies

Four
Dec 4, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Hello, I recently found out that I was an INFJ, which was quite an interesting find. I guess I want to dive into the mind of my fellow INFJ's and find out what their experience with studying their own emotional intelligence has been. Having emotional intelligence is important, that way you aren't the guy who's standing in a super market having problems with volume control and acting like a real dick. I have quite the opposite problem. Since I study those around me very carefully, I always assume everyone is doing the same of me. That makes me very conscious about other people's reactions to my actions. For example a shift in posture could be taken to mean something important when it probably was just a shift in posture. If I notice something like this, then I may change the way I am communicating with the person, which will change the way they communicate with me (or maybe that's just me over-analyzing them again). It's really a mess to be in my head. I guess I'm wondering how messy it is in your heads. Am I the space cadet, or is it this whole MBTI grouping? I know we are supposed to be famous for reading others emotions, what is your experience with reading your own emotions? Has it affected relationships? Does it make it difficult for you in a professional setting?

Many Thanks,
Bobsies

I can definitely relate to you on some level, as of late I've been emotionally affected any time I feel like I've done something to upset anyone in the slightest. It can be the tiniest comment to a friend that didn't come out the way I meant it. If their body language/eyes reveal a glimpse of hurt (something so minute most people would ignore it), I will reword my sentence and do everything I can to clarify what I meant, I'll get laughed at and assured multiple times he/she doesn't care, and then still feel this massive guilt for the rest of the day. I don't know exactly how well that lines up with being infj though.

Yeah Angora, I know what you mean. I would be surprised if anyone felt more guilt than an INFJ. Maybe It's just a human condition though. I know a bunch of people who don't seem to notice how other people react around them i.e. low emotional intelligence. I'm not great at picking out other peoples personality, but I would say most of these people are extroverts of some kind.

I guess I want to dive into the mind of my fellow INFJ's and find out what their experience with studying their own emotional intelligence has been. Having emotional intelligence is important, that way you aren't the guy who's standing in a super market having problems with volume control and acting like a real dick. I have quite the opposite problem. Since I study those around me very carefully, I always assume everyone is doing the same of me. That makes me very conscious about other people's reactions to my actions. For example a shift in posture could be taken to mean something important when it probably was just a shift in posture. If I notice something like this, then I may change the way I am communicating with the person, which will change the way they communicate with me (or maybe that's just me over-analyzing them again). It's really a mess to be in my head.

Wow. Exactly. Yeah, I feel the exact same very very often. Every once and a while someone says something that rings scarily true on this forum, and this is one of them.

I guess I'm wondering how messy it is in your heads. Am I the space cadet, or is it this whole MBTI grouping? I know we are supposed to be famous for reading others emotions, what is your experience with reading your own emotions? Has it affected relationships? Does it make it difficult for you in a professional setting?

Utterly, utterly frustrating. So much. I feel like I can grasp and figure out so many things, but my own emotions... They're so vastly outside of my capability of understanding and it drives me crazy so often.

Yes, it has affected relationships in the past. Yes, it does make it difficult in a professional setting. I've found that's the most valuable thing for me in the MBTI, is a somewhat objective way of understanding this bizarre part of my experience.

I guess I'm wondering how messy it is in your heads. Am I the space cadet, or is it this whole MBTI grouping? I know we are supposed to be famous for reading others emotions, what is your experience with reading your own emotions? Has it affected relationships? Does it make it difficult for you in a professional setting?

It's always messy in my head. I'm usually hyper-aware of others (be it their emotions or presence) and also quite aware of myself. Whether or not this is a desirable trait is subjective.

With that being said, I have a real temper problem sometimes and don't mind being abrasive when someone has rubbed me the wrong way or needs to receive a reality-check. I gave someone an earful at work a few months ago (rightfully deserved, mind you) and while in a different environment I probably would have been fired, this guy took it to heart and changed his behaviour in a positive manner. For the most part though, I'd say I'm pretty easy to get along with and as far as I know most of my coworkers like me (until they piss me off).

As far as personal relationships go, I don't think I'm that great with them. It can be difficult for me to stay in touch with friends. I also have a long way to go with romantic stuff, but I'm working at it. Maybe I just haven't found "the right one" yet.

With analyzing body language, I'd say that it may affect someone's reaction subconsciously, but for the most part you (and I do this as well) are overanalyzing. In my experience, most people don't consciously notice or react to change in body language.

sorry if im a bit off topic

I have trouble with my emotions I hope anyone can help me figure this out. I got INTJ on every tests that i took, however, I feel alot, i empathize, can read people's face, their shift in mood, i can sense their emotions, changes in facial expressions, body language, etc.

But all of these emotions i got, if it not related to me directly personally and physically, it will instantly disappear and i dont feel anything at all.

example: seeing someone died in front of me from let say 'heart attack': at during and after the event, i dont feel anything, no sad, no remorse, not even scared, but i will/could cry when my eyes see someone's else crying. am I still considered INFJ or INTJ?

I have trouble with my emotions I hope anyone can help me figure this out. I got INTJ on every tests that i took, however, I feel alot, i empathize, can read people's face, their shift in mood, i can sense their emotions, changes in facial expressions, body language, etc.

But all of these emotions i got, if it not related to me directly personally and physically, it will instantly disappear and i dont feel anything at all.

example: seeing someone died in front of me from let say 'heart attack': at during and after the event, i dont feel anything, no sad, no remorse, not even scared, but i will/could cry when my eyes see someone's else crying. am I still considered INFJ or INTJ?

This sounds more INTJ to me... I don't think a TJ is so totally numb that they wouldn't cry if they are involved in someone else's sadness, but they do usually have a blunt side with emotions, especially if they are not directly involved in another's emotional state.

Both INTJ and INFJ types have Ni dominant, so reading others' emotions is part of that. The big difference is the Te vs Fe. I think Te tend to rationalize what Ni is telling them more, sometimes revealed as sarcasm or other emotion-neutral responses. Fe tends to color the interpretation with feelings, which they may not well understand as well as an Fi type.

In the supermarket I am always aware of where everyone is and where they are going and how involved they are in what they are doing. I am the one that always moves out of the way for people even through anticipation of where they might go. It is odd sometimes when I think that most people are oblivious of me and don't see me in the same way. I have to wait patiently for people where, if I were them, I would never have been in the way.

In the supermarket I am always aware of where everyone is and where they are going and how involved they are in what they are doing. I am the one that always moves out of the way for people even through anticipation of where they might go. It is odd sometimes when I think that most people are oblivious of me and don't see me in the same way. I have to wait patiently for people where, if I were them, I would never have been in the way.

OMG this is SO me! I always check in with my friends about this kind of thing because it FEELS like people are just so oblivious, inconsiderate and downright rude and it makes me SO MAD - I just want to scream at them 'WAKE UP!!'. But at the same time I know I'm hyper-aware of my environment so I'm never sure if I'm just hyper-aware or if they really are that inconsiderate of those around them. A specific example - if I'm looking at something, trying to decide what I want and someone comes along wanting to get at what I'm looking at I always move out of their way and let them do their hum, hah then choose ritual. But I always feel super mad coz I feel like they were rude and intrusive and deliberately pushed their way in impatiently, forcing me to be the patient one even though I was there first! Then my head kicks in and I'm not sure if I've accurately intuited their intentions or if I'm feeling the way I do because I feel crowded (which is unbearable for me, whatever the person's intentions). I want to know the truth of the situation so I can categorize my feelings accurately and then choose how I'm going to respond based on what I value, but this is really very difficult for me a lot of the time.

So, yea.... definitely messy...

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry, I haven't checked on this for awhile, but yes, it sounds like many of my INFJ crew have similar problems with over-analyzing other people's emotions.

It's really a mess to be in my head. I guess I'm wondering how messy it is in your heads. Am I the space cadet, or is it this whole MBTI grouping?

It is an absolute mess in my head. There are no good days where the mess is more organized or efficient in dissipating, but rather days where it seems to make more sense. Generally the more mess I have swimming around inside my mind, the more I can explore what I am experiencing, feeling, observing, and then put it all together to gain a new perspective or learn something about myself or someone else. Days when the mess is quiet, I sometimes stir it up a bit, trying to find something new to spin in a thousand directions, hoping one of them has insight that will prove to be worthwhile. I operate in chaos and disorganization internally, while demanding peace and calm externally, and generally the two become so intertwined and often times switched that I find myself confused about how exactly I exist, a sort of mental existential crisis. Most days I have more questions than I want answers to and other days I have answers that I never wanted.

I know we are supposed to be famous for reading others emotions, what is your experience with reading your own emotions? Has it affected relationships? Does it make it difficult for you in a professional setting?
I have a gift to always be aware of my emotions. It is both a gift and a curse. I can register just about any emotion I feel and know where it comes from - as in the event or cause that precipitated it. I am my own therapist, able to break down every situation, every memory, every minute of every day. I can analyze everything I feel and find an answer to it. So, I guess you could say that I have great experience in reading my own emotions. While this may sound pleasant, it is more mentally tolling than you might think. Every time I feel sad, I know why I am sad. Whether it is memories of loved ones who have passed on, memories of past trauma, or memories of the people who hurt me in one way or another, the sadness is always justified. I don't feel anything I can't explain or find the origin of. It is exhausting and ultimately I find myself feeling worse because sometimes it seems it would be better to just feel something and not have to know why.
To the second question - yes, it has greatly impacted all my relationships, both personal and romantic. Knowing exactly how someone makes you feel is difficult, especially when they leave you feeling worse after they leave. I am not one to let those who stress me out stay around in my life very long. In a romantic sense, it is the biggest pain in the ass. I normally know within a few minutes if I would ever be able to date someone, yet alone have a serious relationship. And it isn't a question of first impressions, because any INFJ who is able to read emotions effectively will see through those trying to make a good first impression without issue. So I end up seeing someone for who they are in their purest form and knowing exactly if I am okay with what I see. It's annoying to always know. I have been wrong about someone once in my life and that was when I was matched up with a deeply troubled, full blown sociopath. So I consider it a tie and not a loss because I had most things right about them.
As for the third question, I haven't had as much experience testing this as I would like but my answer right now is yes. I am aware the moment I have a hint of dissatisfaction with my work in any way and I know exactly why. Then it becomes very hard to not focus on that one thing, and once I do that I notice everything else. Now I know that no job is perfect and no workplace is anywhere near perfect, I just have been in rather shitty work environments up to this point. So I believe my opinions so far are quite biased, but one thing is right - it will effect me in a professional setting. I think once I find a job that is a bit more supportive of the employees and that is a bit more structured and transparent (as far as what is expected and what you are required to do), I will start to experience a positive boost because I will become aware of things that cause me to be happy at work. And knowing in that instant that a job makes me happy - that will fuel me to improve myself.

So all in all, it is a blessing and a curse to be extremely emotionally self-aware. The hardest part is the initial phase of learning to notice the things that make you happy just as much as the things that make you feel anything negative. Balance those two out and you will enjoy yourself much more.

Last edited:
People are my driving force, especially those closest to me. I don't think first about me but how is my daughter doing or my friend. Not in a healthy way though, in a guilt ridden way. Hehe not all the time either. I have splendid moments where I'm exuberant about what I've achieved and how my life is going. I'm compassionate about my kids in a meaningful way. Sometimes I think I can fix their problems if I'm involved enough. I can stop bad things from happening to those I care about if I'm connected with them in a real way. I'm always picking up their angst and heartaches and don't know how to just let my feelings be. I don't know how I'm feeling about my own feelings until everyone else is okay by my standards, which as we all know infj has the best ones :) It's the co dependent loop without the actual codependency stuff since my worst nightmare is having anyone depend on me. Do I sound like a enneagram two? or nine? Yeah it's tough being a feeler, any feeler. I have a real love hate with extraverts, thinkers, sensing organisms out there. Why should I spend more time than someone worrying about their problems and outcomes? Nah. Just spend time worrying about my own stuff. I'm avoidant of situations that require me to expend energy for fruitless gains as well. It's tough being infj. Actually you can't prove there is infj. Take that and wrap it up to give to your unrequited love haha.

Bobsies I went through the same thing long ago. Then I read the work of Isaac Newton on induction and learned a little Calculus. You are talking about an infinity of social repercussions. There are lesser infinities though for many things are subjective to one another. And for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The problem is when one realizes certain inductive reasoning such as where there is smoke there is fire is not always true but most often times likely. One starts to question other findings as well.

At least it beats the deductive alternatives of mimicry such as might makes right. Following that line of flawed reasoning one would then say you are wrong therefor whatever I say is right in most authoritative fashion along with the notion that every problem can be solved by more money/time.

The easiest way to spot an INFJ though is that in every situation they are the one whom reiterates step #1 after a conversation. I guess you all crave those first contact feels. :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm an INFJ. I'm pretty sure I'm not. I used to think so, though. Pretty content with the IN part though, but I'll stick around and mingle with the bros and hoes and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Hardest part about beign an INFJ is learning to distinguish your own emotions from the emotions of others. being around certain people too long or having relations will create transference; in which an amateur infj may confuse those feelings as their own when it was from an external source. This coincides with the idea that most infjs are empaths - extremely adept at picking up others emotions intellectually, emotionally and in most cases physically. Emotions of others do mingle with the emotional aura of an infj. This is all due to not establishing healthy boundaries. The over empathy and over sensibilities of an infj needs to be reigned in into a more controlled and selective barrier in order to dissect the true source of those emotions. Emotions will arise from two sources; internally or externally. Internal cause is the mind - mind without control will lead an infj to lead to false assumptions and conclusions and ultimately suffering. External causes of emotion needs to be dissected for projection, mirroring or counterintelligence. Which ironically will lead you back to your own internal mind and thought processes.

In a nutshell - having "emotional intelligence" or awareness of Ni or Ne is not enough if you cannot use the info to improve your or others life. Plus the main idea behind emotional intelligence is the cultivation of "empathy". Which infjs do have enough of but they don't know how to transmute the energy into practical help without getting lost in the process.

Hardest part about beign an INFJ is learning to distinguish your own emotions from the emotions of others. being around certain people too long or having relations will create transference; in which an amateur infj may confuse those feelings as their own when it was from an external source. This coincides with the idea that most infjs are empaths - extremely adept at picking up others emotions intellectually, emotionally and in most cases physically. Emotions of others do mingle with the emotional aura of an infj. This is all due to not establishing healthy boundaries. The over empathy and over sensibilities of an infj needs to be reigned in into a more controlled and selective barrier in order to dissect the true source of those emotions. Emotions will arise from two sources; internally or externally. Internal cause is the mind - mind without control will lead an infj to lead to false assumptions and conclusions and ultimately suffering. External causes of emotion needs to be dissected for projection, mirroring or counterintelligence. Which ironically will lead you back to your own internal mind and thought processes.

In a nutshell - having "emotional intelligence" or awareness of Ni or Ne is not enough if you cannot use the info to improve your or others life. Plus the main idea behind emotional intelligence is the cultivation of "empathy". Which infjs do have enough of but they don't know how to transmute the energy into practical help without getting lost in the process.

It is an absolute mess in my head. There are no good days where the mess is more organized or efficient in dissipating, but rather days where it seems to make more sense. Generally the more mess I have swimming around inside my mind, the more I can explore what I am experiencing, feeling, observing, and then put it all together to gain a new perspective or learn something about myself or someone else. Days when the mess is quiet, I sometimes stir it up a bit, trying to find something new to spin in a thousand directions, hoping one of them has insight that will prove to be worthwhile. I operate in chaos and disorganization internally, while demanding peace and calm externally, and generally the two become so intertwined and often times switched that I find myself confused about how exactly I exist, a sort of mental existential crisis. Most days I have more questions than I want answers to and other days I have answers that I never wanted.

I have a gift to always be aware of my emotions. It is both a gift and a curse. I can register just about any emotion I feel and know where it comes from - as in the event or cause that precipitated it. I am my own therapist, able to break down every situation, every memory, every minute of every day. I can analyze everything I feel and find an answer to it. So, I guess you could say that I have great experience in reading my own emotions. While this may sound pleasant, it is more mentally tolling than you might think. Every time I feel sad, I know why I am sad. Whether it is memories of loved ones who have passed on, memories of past trauma, or memories of the people who hurt me in one way or another, the sadness is always justified. I don't feel anything I can't explain or find the origin of. It is exhausting and ultimately I find myself feeling worse because sometimes it seems it would be better to just feel something and not have to know why.
To the second question - yes, it has greatly impacted all my relationships, both personal and romantic. Knowing exactly how someone makes you feel is difficult, especially when they leave you feeling worse after they leave. I am not one to let those who stress me out stay around in my life very long. In a romantic sense, it is the biggest pain in the ass. I normally know within a few minutes if I would ever be able to date someone, yet alone have a serious relationship. And it isn't a question of first impressions, because any INFJ who is able to read emotions effectively will see through those trying to make a good first impression without issue. So I end up seeing someone for who they are in their purest form and knowing exactly if I am okay with what I see. It's annoying to always know. I have been wrong about someone once in my life and that was when I was matched up with a deeply troubled, full blown sociopath. So I consider it a tie and not a loss because I had most things right about them.
As for the third question, I haven't had as much experience testing this as I would like but my answer right now is yes. I am aware the moment I have a hint of dissatisfaction with my work in any way and I know exactly why. Then it becomes very hard to not focus on that one thing, and once I do that I notice everything else. Now I know that no job is perfect and no workplace is anywhere near perfect, I just have been in rather shitty work environments up to this point. So I believe my opinions so far are quite biased, but one thing is right - it will effect me in a professional setting. I think once I find a job that is a bit more supportive of the employees and that is a bit more structured and transparent (as far as what is expected and what you are required to do), I will start to experience a positive boost because I will become aware of things that cause me to be happy at work. And knowing in that instant that a job makes me happy - that will fuel me to improve myself.

So all in all, it is a blessing and a curse to be extremely emotionally self-aware. The hardest part is the initial phase of learning to notice the things that make you happy just as much as the things that make you feel anything negative. Balance those two out and you will enjoy yourself much more.

I agreed with both these; alongside others, but these two to be more specific.

Hardest part about beign an INFJ is learning to distinguish your own emotions from the emotions of others. being around certain people too long or having relations will create transference; in which an amateur infj may confuse those feelings as their own when it was from an external source.

This is something I must consciously remind myself. I absorb other people's strong emotions so automatically and holistically that is rarely helpful in the situation. In fact, when dealing with negative emotions it's often the opposite. I really need to focus so I become aware of this so I can snap myself out of it to gain still empathic but more objective point of view.

[MENTION=12847]blacklight[/MENTION] and [MENTION=884]solongotgon[/MENTION] --- I think just one thing to note: I do think what you both describe is a common feeling type thing. But, although it is commonly attributed to extraverted, not introverted feeling, I have my suspicions there are more enlightening ways of looking at it.

The reason I say that is that this sort of thing generally comes to those with a high sensitivity to subtle shades of feeling. They absorb a lot more texture of feeling in general. But I've seen in my time a good group of introverted feelers who seem to experience this sort of thing --- only the way they respond to it is in terms of introverted, not extraverted reflection.

Actually this is very similar to the very weird phenomenon of introverted sensation: you'd expect sensation to be extraverted, since after all a sense stimulus is coming from the outside. But in the introverted format, it is your subjective receptivity to it which is important.

Similarly, someone with high orientation towards feelings, who simply cannot detach to an objective point of view immediately, may soak in all these feelings from the outside --- but where they go with that is the key to whether it is extraverted or introverted. The extraverted feeling way may seek to connect with the outside --- to become a part of the other person's world further. Introverted feeling would go more inward in how it develops the response of the individual to those feelings.

Part of the subtlety of all this is there's an unconscious component to feeling, which is termed emotion. But feelings the way the functions intend involve our ability to take generic emotions and develop our experience of them farther, reflect on their personal meaning to us, and so forth.

Introverted functions are less expansive --- they are withdrawn, just like you'd picture an introverted person. Where the extraverted function enables you to become part of an external world, object, etc, the introverted function is all about diminishing the outer stimulus in favor of inner claims which were awoken by it.

If your tendency when "soaking in feelings of others" is to then become so involved in their worlds that you forget yourself for a while, and are immersed in connecting with their feeling world, then that is definitely more extraverted. If it serves more as impetus for inner reflection, you're probably doing introverted feeling.

Keep in mind that I do not believe, nor did CG Jung believe, nor did Isabel Myers even believe, that you *must* somehow have extraverted feeling as your second function if you're a feeler with dominant intuition.
It's more apt to say that many theorists think you can have both introverted intuition and feeling.

Also ----- cognitive empathy is a component of this intelligence and sounds more related to thinking function. This is why you observe some thinking types are better at "getting people" than others.

@charlatan

"Part of the subtlety of all this is there's an unconscious component to feeling, which is termed emotion." - I don't see how an emotion is an unconscious aspect of feeling. Inability to "feel" one's emotions is not the same as emotions being unconscious. Emotions are quite direct regardless of introversion or extroversion; it's the reaction and assimilation of emotions from the individual will determine if the person can process or not process their emotion. I think it is more accurate to say that a person who cannot process or unaware of their emotions can be seen as unconscious; not emotions as unconscious.

"Introverted functions are less expansive --- they are withdrawn, just like you'd picture an introverted person. Where the extroverted function enables you to become part of an external world, object, etc, the introverted function is all about diminishing the outer stimulus in favor of inner claims which were awoken by it."

-This is also very limited and stereotypical understanding of introversion that creates a lot of angst and labeling for introverts. The idea that they cannot be part of the world via extroversion through introverted functioning. For all things to manifest in the outside, external world there must be a sense of origination and birth and that happens in the introverted sense. Again it becomes an issue of the level of maturity and awareness whether the individual can learn to manifest what they derive from introverted feeling into the real world. It is up to the individual to work on bridging the gap of what was born inside into the outside world. There is always an underlying crap that introverts are incapable of extroverted "expansion" because they tend to Ni their environments. Amateur and unaware introverts perhaps fall into this category; but for the most part the reason most introverts tend to stay within is because of how expansive their inner world is.