If you had to choose between... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

If you had to choose between...

This thread keeps reminding of the Nic cage movie "Next"

He says: "Here is the thing about the future. Every time you look at, it changes, because you looked at it, and that changes everything else."

Reactions: Pristinegirl
...500 thousand dollars, living to at least the age of 90 in completely perfect health, having your dream person fall in love with you forever, having the power to be invisible for 30 minutes a day, or having the ability to see 10 minutes into the future, what would you choose?

This is a random pointless question, I know. Bored at work. :m083:

Out of the choices you gave me, my initial, instantaneous reaction was to choose "having your dream person fall in love with you forever."

But on second thought, I am not so sure I would want that if it were part of some sort of magic genie wish or whatever. I mean, what are the circumstances here? Is it just what I most want, or if I was offered any one of those things like a menu?

If it's the latter, if it's sort of fake and not real, I guess I would choose invisability, although I don't feel particularly drawn to it or any of the other choices. I mean, I can't imagine what I would do with ten minutes of invisability in a day. For one, would my clothes be invisable, too, or would I have to take them off? Because then I'd spend the entire time worrying about having them back on when I reappeared. -- Oh, wait. It's thirty minutes. I think I would still be very worried. I worry too much. And what if I can't get out of the situation? ... I'm still stuck on what I would use it for. Hmm...

I don't understand the appeal of seeing ten minutes into the future. ... Maybe if someone was about to get hit by a car. Then I could save them. That would be really nice. I don't know that I want to live until I'm 90. I don't understand people's obsessions with living as long as possible. I mean, I don't want to die now or anything, but I guess I'm so young that it's difficult for me to really fathom.

If it were 500 mil then I would be tempted by money, but with 500K... c'mon you can't even buy a decent house with that nowadays.

So I take perfect health.

Seeing into the future would only drive me insane. So no, thank you.

...500 thousand dollars,
That would be useful now but I will eventually have access to father's funds to put toward the objective. Not to mention if I go with the next option, it will be easier to make much more than that myself.
living to at least the age of 90 in completely perfect health
This would be sufficient time to fulfil my mission as in conjunction with giving me the health needed to counter the trauma / bad health now hindering my mission completion this would be most useful to my raison d'etre. Since my health would suffer slightly from an apparent hindrance on the goal, it must be that I am not hindered from the achievement for at least ninety years; this is the best option for me since it guarantees mission success.
having your dream person fall in love with you forever
With my luck she will only suffer for it and end up impaired in some way. Besides, I cannot be sure to encounter her or that we would even start a relationship together, I may not even know it's her and end up passing her up even if I do encounter her out of the 6 billion obstacles in our way. The completion of my mission will be of more use to her, especially as I am likely to sacrifice my self for the mission / bereave her of me.
having the power to be invisible for 30 minutes a day
If my peripherals are also invisible, I could definitely see how this one could come in as incredibly handy in the mission.
or having the ability to see 10 minutes into the future
For any course of action after I alter the default? Of course that's assuming I can alter the default future but anyway, sounds good.

Last edited:
...500 thousand dollars, living to at least the age of 90 in completely perfect health, having your dream person fall in love with you forever, having the power to be invisible for 30 minutes a day, or having the ability to see 10 minutes into the future, what would you choose?

Permission to fly, please.

I would like to say "having your dream person fall in love with you forever"...though I don't believe in "falling in love forever" any more.

:m068:

freeking invisible, yes. I have just become the worlds most unnoticable assassin.

Putting the ASS in assassin, TWICE.

"Living to the age of 90 in completely perfect health." Not so much for the longevity, but never getting sick? No risk of any of the chronic, debilitating diseases capable of chaining people to their beds and to hospitals for months and years before they finally just snuff it, having ceased to truly live long ago?

Yes, please. And am I guaranteed to live that long? Could I do crazy things, like jump off skyscrapers or get shot in a duel for my honor or jump off a plane without taking the risk of dying? :m029:

You INTXs really like testing the limitations of these options I see :m066:

I want to say I'd pick the ability to see 10 minutes into the future because it has by far the most potential to be an informative and overall useful experience, but depending on what the underlying mechanisms of action and how the universe actually fundamentally works it might easily drive a person completely dysfunctional. Not to mention people driving themselves insane by overusing it regardless of how it works.

But... that's not how I think by default, so I'd likely go with the emotionally satisfying option of having having my dream person fall in love with me forever.

i would choose the option to see ten minutes into the future (reminds me of Next...) I believe with this ability, it would not only be fascinating for myself, but it would also give me the potential to help people in a way probably not a whole lot could...kind of like on Deja Vu when he saved the ship and that girl...
anyway, enough movie references :p

hmmm money or invisibility...both would make my life easier without changing it to much

Not enough money, don't wanna live to that age, not enough time being invisible, future thing is appealing but i can see it making life unexciting... none of these things appeal to me more than having the person of my dreams fall in love with me... but then i would worry that the love isn't real.... still i chose this option above the rest...hopeless romantic that i am.

...500 thousand dollars,
Sure, not my number one choice, but I know several ways I could put it to good use.

living to at least the age of 90 in completely perfect health

The most appealing choice to me. I'd love to explore the world, and being able to do so without getting sick or injured in some way sounds great. But part of me doesn't like it. Not being able to improve on myself, overcoming previous limitations, being able to push myself in tough situations. Despite it being my inferior function, I do like my Se, and I try to develop it when possible.

having your dream person fall in love with you forever
This just sounds wrong to me. Why do they love me? Just because I wanted them to? Sounds forced, not at all appealing.

having the power to be invisible for 30 minutes a day
Not sure what I'd use it for other than as a joke. I mean yeah if my life was in danger from someone or some wild animal, it'd be useful I suppose.

having the ability to see 10 minutes into the future, what would you choose?
No. I'd hate to know the future unless it was very very very near future(5 seconds max). Too easy to mess things up. Too many situations where you'd have to choose the lesser of two(or more) evils. Living with that sort of power sounds terrible.

That's a very fun question! :) so let's see..one: i can already see 10 minutes into the future. Two: I don't want to live till 90, god knows what this worlds going to be like in 70 years. Three: yes I'd like 500 thousand dollars, but the money would be tasteless since i didnt work hard for it. So what's left is having my dream person fall in love with me forver or being invisible for 30 minutes a day. I'm going to choose invisibility, simply because i like adventure more than I like romance. :p With invisiblity I can discover and explore soo much without having anyone stop me (for 30 minutes)...kinda scary, but cool and different way of life. :D

but i have a question: Do I get to choose which hour of the day I become invisible? because if it happens spontaneously, then I'd choose the lover. it's a safer bet lol

The living till ninety one.

Wait, does this option imply I MUST live to a healthy age of ninety? If I wanted to kill myself before 90, would this option prevent me from doing it through a weird coincidence of events unfolding?

... I mean, what are the circumstances here? Is it just what I most want, or if I was offered any one of those things like a menu?

Yes.

...would my clothes be invisable, too, or would I have to take them off?

Anything in an ellipse 3 feet around you can become invisible if you want it to.

Permission to fly, please.

This is the best I can do. :m180:

"Living to the age of 90 in completely perfect health." Not so much for the longevity, but never getting sick? No risk of any of the chronic, debilitating diseases capable of chaining people to their beds and to hospitals for months and years before they finally just snuff it, having ceased to truly live long ago?
Yes, please. And am I guaranteed to live that long? Could I do crazy things, like jump off skyscrapers or get shot in a duel for my honor or jump off a plane without taking the risk of dying? :m029:

No. You're immune to all physical ailments, disease, plague, cancer, etc. But you can be hurt from outside happenings.

...but i have a question: Do I get to choose which hour of the day I become invisible? because if it happens spontaneously, then I'd choose the lover. it's a safer bet lol

You can use it anytime, though once you're invisible, you're invisible for the full 30 mins. You could be invisible from 1129pm to 1159pm then grab the next days worth and be invisible from 1200am to 1230am to maximize the length of invisibleness.

The living till ninety one. Wait, does this option imply I MUST live to a healthy age of ninety? If I wanted to kill myself before 90, would this option prevent me from doing it through a weird coincidence of events unfolding?

No it wouldn't prevent you from injuring yourself if you wanted to. You can die from physical trauma.

Okay then, I pick the 90 year old deal.

No. You're immune to all physical ailments, disease, plague, cancer, etc. But you can be hurt from outside happenings.

So I can bioengineer a virus causing a acute and lethal disease, use it to topple world authority and set myself up as a cruel, merciless dictator whose subjects live and die on her daily, hourly, minutely* and secondly* whims, but who is also whimsical and enjoys such things as brightly coloured birds, the revival of the noble position of court jester, and chanelling countless billions of dollars into bionics technology that will allow me to rule forever?

Sweet! :m034: Everybody celebrate my impending and eternal reign! Now. Or else. :laser:

*These aren't even words... shoot. I shall incorporate them into my dictionary when the time comes.