If the U.S. defaults, what do you think will happen? | INFJ Forum

If the U.S. defaults, what do you think will happen?

acd

Jan 11, 2009
fantasy world
MBTI
infp
Enneagram
9w8 sp/sx
Just as the title says, what do you think will happen if the U.S. defaults on it's debt?

What do you think the impact will be:
economically?
socially?
politically?
globally?
in 50-100 years?

Or whatever other thoughts/feelings you have on the subject.

Some problems will straighten themselves out, other things will become problematic.

Gee thanks. That is really vague.

I ask because.... these politicians act like people won't revolt.

Reactions: Saru Inc
can u link some articles and shit
what debts do they have

Some quick thoughts

Politically I think it will impact our ability to negotiate with other countries. Supposidly a great deal of debt is held by China.

Economically I think the US will have to tighten the money supply to keep the value of the dollar from bottoming out. It means you can see interest rates rise, less lending, the economy will halt. If they follow thru on less gov't spending--social service programs will be cut, they will RIF federal workers, people will be forced to move from rural areas because of lack of work and lack of social support--could see more urban sprawl

Socially I don't know. I don't get a huge vibe from the general public that they are willing to do much until it affects them personally and they they want to rant and rave about how "unfair" it is. Being forced to move from rural areas to more urban areas could see an increase in crime.

50 to 100 years? Probably an in-depth analysis regarding the economic impacts from the 80's thru 2010 could give us an idea of how globalization had impacted the US economy

Globally--I think it is the impact of globalization that is making is so hard to work our economy out of the bind we are in. Too many unknown variables on how things are making the markets move.

Reactions: Gaze and acd
Seeing as trillions of dollars have been borrowed from Social Security to finance things like the Wall Street Bailout I would hope that people would finally get angry about getting the short end of the stick multiple times in multiple ways. But nahhhh, it's far easier to turn on the TV and watch someone else yell about it and relate it to completely unrelated things.

Reactions: Nixie
Maybe a second Great Depression?...how did you guys get out of it the first time?

Reactions: Norton
Maybe a second Great Depression?...how did you guys get out of it the first time?
This only leaves one option...WAR WITH CANADA!

Reactions: Odyne
I kind of want them to default out of sheer curiosity. The spend spend spend fever we have been addicted to since WW2 has got to fucking end at some point... If this is to be our great depression, then bring the shit on. Hopefully it will set the nation right.

I think if we let the default happen, there is going to be a lot of chaos and riots, and the crime rate will skyrocket.

Finally.

Once we are done with them, no more mounties, no more poutine, no more eskimos, no more snow, AND NO MORE CANADIANS.

As was said, if it were a business it would be forced to live within its means. The government cannot bail out the government like it has so many other things. Someone needs to pull back on the reigns.

As a dry joke, maybe Egypt will tell Obama to leave the US.

People can easily revolt. If that happens, everyone hold onto your hat. I don't want to make more jobs with the ways the government says I have to do things. Far as I'm concerned, we have already defaulted in a sense. My state still hasn't even sent my tax refund yet since April.

How many times have each of us driven past a government crew working on the roads where six men are just standing around while one person is working? Everyone has all these government vehicles to drive around all day. The gov needs to be run like a business. Busing is one of the biggest jokes I have ever seen. It is just not too big to fix.

Tell them all their salaries and benefits, along with their retirements, are at risk before anything else and they will make this work.
Don't threaten social security checks: threaten your own check first. Don't threaten workplaces: threaten their offices first. People used to serve this country for free. Now people spend millions to get elected. Something wrong with the entire system.
Telling youth they will never see a social security check while taking money out of their checks for it is fraud. Fix it, don't just keep throwing water into a sinking boat. Let them do what is right or let it default, as there are those that can fix this. They may not be Congress or the Senate, but there are those that can fix this without them.

Economically, it would be a worse disaster than one could imagine. However, it would be much better down the road than where they are now heading.

Socially, I cannot but guess.

Politically, it may bring about a new government that can fix things to where they need to be over the next twenty years or so.

Globally, Iran will step up to try and help destabilize and take over as much as possible. China may well lose out, too, as our buying will slow which will also slow their factories where we have sent most our jobs. World security would take a bad hit. Helping to care for the needy around the world would slow to devastating results, hoping other countries would step up and roll their sleeves up to help.

In decades to come, it will only keep getting worse if the overspending is not stopped.

We have a great country. People during and after WWII were on a mission. Many more people percentage-wise care only about themselves and theirs as compared to many years ago. We worked our way out of it before. People cared more about this great nation than they do now. I think this requires a different mindset, possibly brought about only by leadership focused on just that. Unfortunately, I do not see the leadership we currently need capable of bringing us back together in the crisis we are facing. Calling our Senators and Congresspeople sounds really good, but in reality they should already know what needs to be done and they should do it. The cuts should start with themselves.

Gee thanks. That is really vague.

I ask because.... these politicians act like people won't revolt.
Americans will not revolt because everyone is an island here. Once out Mtv is taken away we will walk around dazed hoping Snooki will somehow show us the way to happiness. And I am serious.

As an American what would you do as your first act of revolution? I dont think we know how or have the balls to revolt.

Where are you gonna get your next meal? Most people are complete wage slaves as it is and a revolution is gonna make food scarce. If you think robbing farmers or the grocery store is going to help then that is a pretty dick move.

Last edited:
Reactions: acd
I kinda confused. My macroecnomics is a bit hazy. As I understand, a government cannot default on their own debt because they can always print more money. And as I recall, printing money is essentially a hidden tax, because the more currency in circulation, the lower the value of that currency. That being said, aren't US T-bills and bonds considered as good as cash anyways?

To illustrate government debt, think of personal debt. Let's say you could borrow millions of dollars to spend.. for fun! And let's say that you never pay it back, and pass the debt along to your kids (in reality you can't do that, but just imagine). Let's say your kids borrow even more money to spend, and then pass the aggregate debt off to their kids. And it keeps going on and on and on. Whoever got to spend money they didn't have, and pass the debt off to the next generation benefits! And whoever finally gets stiffed with the bill loses. At sooommmmeee point somebody's going to have to pay the bill. That's how government debt works too. I think that when the government finally has to start printing money to pay off those debts is when the US as a country start paying it off (via "hidden tax").

This is why I can't be president, manifest destiny and all, N. America practically belongs to us already.

If push comes to shove, we could just put all our debt on the indian nations.

Everyone will be poorer so pretty much more of the same. Americans will taste more of the third world life. That's sad because it always gave me comfort that some people didn't have to.

For one thing, more products will say "Made in USA" instead of "Made in China".... because wages/labor will be lower/cheaper in the USA.

It might finally push the oil industry to price oil and gas in Euros, instead of US Dollars... but don't worry, the reason Iraq was invaded was to avert that possibility.

A social revolt? Uh, why? The US going into default isn't some sort of cataclysmic occurrence. There will be job losses, to be sure, and interest rates will rise and the American dollar might lose a bit of its ground and the real estate market is going to take another hit, but people won't see results immediately. Think of it as a premature recession... which isn't the best of things, naturally, but that's how its going to feel like.

This isn't bankrupt Greece.

'sides, revolts would just make the situation that much more worse. Barring the rampant crime and damages and lawsuits and all that other hometurf money drain, civil unrest deters foreign investors and they're your best hope right now. America has to remain attractive to the guys with the dough. More so than it needs to curtail its spending. Now is not the time to attempt to reorganize the whole system.

Of course, tell that to the people who's standard of living has just taken a drastic nosedive, or the people who are hungry and have no way to provide for their families...

It's going to be precarious balance and I have no doubt people are going to be angry and there might be some picketing in the streets, but I don't think its going to be the harbinger of some sort of social and economic apocalypse.

Depending how this is handled, America still has a pretty good chance to bounce back.

Last edited: