If My Glass is Half Empty..... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

If My Glass is Half Empty.....

The actual amount of drink we have or our mental model of how much drink we have?
As we cannot directly `know' how much drink is OUT THERE, in `the territory' we are left with our `map'/mental_model/perception of the `the territory', The Real World, Objective Reality, the Cosmos, etc.

The Gestalt Psychologist dealt with such issues as Figure-Ground Perception
Piaget used to pour liquids from short, stout glasses into tall skinny glasses both holding the same volume before the eyes of amazed school children.
Perception looms large in our mental map-making of `The Territory'

We can change our maps and mental models.
Reframing helps.

Should we?
Should we re-frame shouldism into couldism or is-ism? ;-)

Drive your own bus ;)

I don't even want the glass. This is an interesting topic though. I think my glass has been defined for me by my parents, especially my dad, up until about three years ago.

What do I fill my glass with after I have defined it. Milk? A Manhattan?

the optimist states that the glass is half full

the pessimist states that the glass is half empty

the pragmatist states that the glass is twice as large as it needs to be

The glass is half-full - we'll have to try extra hard to conserve what we have.

The glass is half-empty - imagine what we could do with that extra space!

Reactions: Gaze
The glass is half-full - we'll have to try extra hard to conserve what we have.

The glass is half-empty - imagine what we could do with that extra space!

Excellent

This is a good example of content reframing which GPS mentioned earlier

Drive your own bus ;)

[MENTION=3738]gps[/MENTION] I've just realised this could be taken the wrong way. It was a reference to "who's driving the bus?". Judging by your post I assume you know what I mean by that

I tend to go with the smaller glass idea, too....that's how it worked for me. I have made big adjustments in my life and simplified it in many ways. Every change brought a time of slight disorientation, but things have always come out much better. These things always required a change of perspective/awareness on my part, but once made (over time), whole new vistas appeared. My glass is pretty full...but it is not a glass that is disproportionate to my actual needs.

@gps I've just realised this could be taken the wrong way.
It was a reference to "who's driving the bus?".
Judging by your post I assume you know what I mean by that
[MENTION=472]Poetic Justice[/MENTION] I took/interpreted it as the individual driving his or her own metaphorical bus.
I'm not only capable of placing links to `content' framed as half-full and these links to bisocciation and concept blending, I'm actually capable of multi-framing, multi-sociation and intersubjectivity ... to some extent, on some occasions.
Or so I'd like to believe.

No offense stolen or responsibly attributed for offense stolen.
No harm, no fowl. Play on!

Last edited:
What do I fill my glass with after I have defined it.
Milk?
A Manhattan?

[MENTION=3545]bickelz[/MENTION]
Your glass ... after your J mindset has fabricated that closure?
Why not imagine the Milk or Manhattan as a just-right, serving-sized amount from a great lake full of it then have Scotty beam it directly into your mouth a sip-full or gulp-full at time as per your whims and wishes? ;-)

Last edited:
[MENTION=472]Poetic Justice[/MENTION] I took/interpreted it as the individual driving his or her own metaphorical bus.
I'm not only capable of placing links to `content' framed as half-full and these links to bisocciation and concept blending, I'm actually capable of multi-framing, multi-sociation and intersubjectivity ... to some extent, on some occasions.
Or so I'd like to believe.

No offense stolen or responsibly attributed for offense stolen.
No harm, no fowl. Play on!

Everyone is capable of all those things. Most people just don't know the terms

Who's driving the bus was a reference to a classic NLP book. As you used lots of NLP jargon in your first post i thought you'd know what i mean. I guess i meant it as a sort of secret handshake but then i realised it was a little obscure. Lol

Of course i also meant what you thought i meant

[MENTION=472]Poetic Justice[/MENTION]

Everyone is capable of all those things.

I certainly am.
Though why `take' offense when you can wrench it away from a victim one can unilaterally victimize by playing an offended victim of insult beyond toleration ;-)
I almost miss the PC movement with it's euphemisms and assortment of victims which emerged when the one-and-only one PC euphemism wasn't (mis)used.

Most people just don't know the terms

Who's driving the bus was a reference to a classic NLP book.

I'll fess up to owning copies of The Structure of Magic, parts I and II, Frogs into Princes, and Reframing.
I opted to link to cognitive restructuring wiki page rather than the Reframing book as the concept is more generic than the NPL buzz word `reframing'.

As you used lots of NLP jargon in your first post i thought you'd know what i mean.

I `knew' as much as my epistemology would allow ;-)

I guess i meant it as a sort of secret handshake but then i realised it was a little obscure. Lol

Of course i also meant what you thought i meant

Meant?
We'd have to get into `meaning' then, wouldn't we?
What is meaning?

No you fool.

Having a full glass only makes it easier to spill precious beer.

You get a massive glass and fill it about 3/4's.

Reactions: Gaze
No you fool.

Having a full glass only makes it easier to spill precious beer.

You get a massive glass and fill it about 3/4's.

@Melkor, in this case why bother with the glass and just thread a crazy straw through the bung hole of a barrel of beer and be done with the middle man `glass' altogether ... bearing in mind to keep the bung hole up as you're sucking the metaphorical nectar from life as you're sucking beer straight from the barrel? ;-)

Hmmm ... why bother with that damned barrel?
How much do those brewer's kettles hold?
Where I live there are lines of tubing running from Maple tree to Maple tree to a big sap barrel.
Perhaps when the sugaring season is over we can re-use the tubing to `tap' a brewery kettle and distribute the contents accordingly.:m183:

A man's got to believe in something ... I believe I'll bypass the glass, barrel, and kettle and go straight for the contents.