I was wrong... | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

I was wrong...

you will be pleased to know that there are levels of thinking even beyond reflection :) You will encounter it in due time.

You misunderstand. It isn't reflection, it's reflective thinking. Reflection is simply contemplation, whereas reflective thinking is the combination of self awareness and critical thinking ability to obtain mindfulness. There are many levels of thought above simple reflection, but humans, neurologically, only possess the ability to utilize reflective thinking at the highest level of cognitive ability. It's the highest capacity to which we are physically capable of thinking because it utilizes the frontal lobe to overcome the limbic system through a series of developed mechanisms. Most of late childhood and adolescence is about developing reflective thinking abilities in order to function within the social world, but only those who are aware of their own metacognition are aware of the processes at work. Only those who develop self awareness and critical thinking ability can become conscious of reflective thinking and can develop it into reflective intelligence.

I'm not sure what level of thought anyone else is on, but I am certain that they aren't above reflective thinking. To do so would require additional parts to the brain that simply do not exist.

Sorry Satya, tired and been drinkin LOL.

I thought that critical thinking was the highest level of thought. Now I know better. Critical thinking evolves into something greater. When combined with self awareness it becomes reflective thinking.

Ding! Congrats, Satya!

Here's a thought experiment for you: What happens to you when your mindfulness stops thinking critically, and just observes?

Ding! Congrats, Satya!

Here's a thought experiment for you: What happens to you when your mindfulness stops thinking critically, and just observes?

Then it stops being mindfulness.

"Interpretation is not an occasional additional act subsequent to understanding, but is precisely the specific form of understanding itself" H.-G. Gadamer

"Interpretation is not an occasional additional act subsequent to understanding, but is precisely the specific form of understanding itself" H.-G. Gadamer

If that is the case, then understanding is inherently subjective because interpretation is always subject to cognitive biases.

I wrote this great post last night about how this is the path towards true freedom by ridding yourself of various constraints that have been forced upon you, and apparently it didn't get posted.

Bah.

Well I think you summed it up pretty well anyway Satya, carry on.

Oh yea and no matter how long it takes, it's the pursuit that counts ^_^

bingo

If that is the case, then understanding is inherently subjective because interpretation is always subject to cognitive biases.
I think so, I could be wrong. (seems so right though)

Well seeing as I am first and foremost myself, I will only be able to see me-ness in the things and people around me. Seems pretty biased to me.
Hence Augustine says this about understanding:
"The only way to understand something is to love it first, that is, to study it with sympathy, patience and appreciation. True understanding requires the courage to surrender ourselves to the subject and let it have its way with us."

EDIT: oh. I forgot I had that quote in my signature.

Last edited:
Fuck, this sounds hard, I'm going outside to play.

Tralalalaalaa!

*skips*