I found my God, he's in my head | INFJ Forum

I found my God, he's in my head

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram
(The title of the thread is a paraphrasing of the Nirvana song, "I'm so happy, cause today, I found my friends, they're in my head", dont read too much into it)

So, I was thinking, there are a lot of people seeking to spread their own religions who like to say "Have you found...", Jesus, God, Truth, Enlightenment etc.

I have always thought that the search or journey is as important as its conclusion, in fact, I'm not sure that it can be concluded and that those who say so are mistaken or have only discovered one facet of something which is much more multi-faceted and infinite than they could hope to grasp.

What do you think? Do you search? What for? Is it a search without end or do you expect to reach a finish?

I spent the better half of my life looking since I was 15. My search was over about 6 years ago

Sure. I developed my own religion. So I have two thoughts. one thatI would Like to be true, the other that ismost likely true.

I search but it is my own search. I am not looking for what religion is entirely right and true because I don't think any of them are that.

For me it is not enough to simply believe an answer. I must live the answer, and it must resonate with me as I grow and as my situation is ever changing.

I cannot accept a mere prescriptive belief requirement just as I cannot accept a requirement which does not resonate with my still growing being.

Sure. I developed my own religion. So I have two thoughts. one thatI would Like to be true, the other that ismost likely true.

I dont know if you were being flippant or serious there but I think that is a very interesting and important point.

Erich Fromm thought that in some ways everyone has their own private "religion", by which he meant a kind of existentialist raison detre, although he clarified his own understanding of religion as a frame of reference, particularly ethics, and an object of devotion. Fromm suggested that a key to understanding others and helping them, even a "curative" property in therapy, was discovering this private "religion".

There is also a sense in which, because we are all inescapably individuals and experience the world subjectively, individually and uniquely, it is inevitable and unavoidable so, we each have our own "religion" no matter how much we seek to follow one of the world religions or traditions.

Anyway, thanks for that, it allowed me that digression.

Truth is subjectivity...tied to objectivity.

(The title of the thread is a paraphrasing of the Nirvana song, "I'm so happy, cause today, I found my friends, they're in my head", dont read too much into it)

So, I was thinking, there are a lot of people seeking to spread their own religions who like to say "Have you found...", Jesus, God, Truth, Enlightenment etc.

I have always thought that the search or journey is as important as its conclusion, in fact, I'm not sure that it can be concluded and that those who say so are mistaken or have only discovered one facet of something which is much more multi-faceted and infinite than they could hope to grasp.

What do you think? Do you search? What for? Is it a search without end or do you expect to reach a finish?

Life is about learning and becoming enlightened. I am constantly seeking and questioning my own beliefs and understanding of faith and spirituality. The more I learn about my own self, and my beliefs, the more I realized I'm just starting a life long journey. Personally, I believe the journey never ends. Your life, experiences, emotions, connections- they all influence your own understanding of the world around you...therefore I can't imagine how your spiritual journey would ever end.

Mine's in my head, and elsewhere... helping me help others, generally pretty benign, I've never witnessed anything mean-spirited from Him. For me, the search for Him is over, but the journey's still going.

If I think I know the truth it means I am not seeking it. I will always seek it therefore I will never know it.

I dont know if you were being flippant or serious there but I think that is a very interesting and important point.

Erich Fromm thought that in some ways everyone has their own private "religion", by which he meant a kind of existentialist raison detre, although he clarified his own understanding of religion as a frame of reference, particularly ethics, and an object of devotion. Fromm suggested that a key to understanding others and helping them, even a "curative" property in therapy, was discovering this private "religion".

There is also a sense in which, because we are all inescapably individuals and experience the world subjectively, individually and uniquely, it is inevitable and unavoidable so, we each have our own "religion" no matter how much we seek to follow one of the world religions or traditions.

Anyway, thanks for that, it allowed me that digression.

Do I come across as flippant? :) No I was being serious.

I agree, and I like the word "journey".
Do you search?... Is it a search without end or do you expect to reach a finish?...
It doesn't feel like "searching" to me. It feels more like "resting" in something and being carried endlessly "forward".

Do I come across as flippant? :) No I was being serious.

Well the smiley's aren't helping. At first I read this and figured you were indignant, then I got to the smiley, oh so he's feigning indignity, but then you tell me your serious and now I'm just confused.

Well the smiley's aren't helping. At first I read this and figured you were indignant, then I got to the smiley, oh so he's feigning indignity, but then you tell me your serious and now I'm just confused.

I don't know how you can even remotely get indignation out of what Eventhorizon wrote. Unless you're projecting it there on your own.

It's not my business but from my angle and based on what he said, this analysis is way unfounded.

Edit:
When you're indignant it means that you're angry or annoyed because somebody else has done something offensive or unfair to you. Does it seem like that is going on there?

Why can't it be that he's just saying exactly what he means?

Last edited:
I don't know how you can even remotely get indignation out of what Eventhorizon wrote. Unless you're projecting it there on your own.

It's not my business but from my angle and based on what he said, this analysis is way unfounded.

Edit:
When you're indignant it means that you're angry or annoyed because somebody else has done something offensive or unfair to you. Does it seem like that is going on there?

Why can't it be that he's just saying exactly what he means?

I know, in my mind I read the first part of his sentences as less of a "Do I sound flippant?" as "Why would you think that of me." Now obviously this is the internet and this is forum with a text based medium so unless we start adding speech tags at the end of our sentences some of our emotion and inflection is left up to interpretation, which is part of how this conversation started. Also when you use the term projection it usually means that your not just reading something that's not there but your putting your own emotions over top of the things another individual say or does. So to be clear I'm completely dignant, and I'm not layering that over this.

Also I'm sure he's communicating exactly what he means, the problem has more to do with the rest of us interpreting what he meant by what he said.

Also it's like almost four and that was joke post and I'm tired and stuff.

I know, in my mind I read the first part of his sentences as less of a "Do I sound flippant?" as "Why would you think that of me." Now obviously this is the internet and this is forum with a text based medium so unless we start adding speech tags at the end of our sentences some of our emotion and inflection is left up to interpretation, which is part of how this conversation started. Also when you use the term projection it usually means that your not just reading something that's not there but your putting your own emotions over top of the things another individual say or does. So to be clear I'm completely dignant, and I'm not layering that over this.

Also I'm sure he's communicating exactly what he means, the problem has more to do with the rest of us interpreting what he meant by what he said.

Also it's like almost four and that was joke post and I'm tired and stuff.

Ok, sorry. I just felt protective. I don't know why. Don't mind me, that was just weird I guess.

Maybe it's because if anyone has been indignant lately, I certainly have, so if any flak comes of it I should be the one to get it.

Forget about it. Just a weird mood thing.

Ok, sorry. I just felt protective. I don't know why. Don't mind me, that was just weird I guess.

Maybe it's because if anyone has been indignant lately, I certainly have, so if any flak comes of it I should be the one to get it.

Forget about it. Just a weird mood thing.

It's alright, I find myself oddly protective other members on this forum as well, it's led me into more then one less then productive argument.

Edit: Also how come you're like a level bajillion with an uber lightsaber and I've only got like three bars. I'm old guard damnit, I deserve more green things and free health care.

Last edited:
The search and questions I had about the meaning of life, questions about my own existence, God's existence and wanting to know about life after death started at 11 yrs.

I actively started my search at around 17 yrs and came face to face with some of my own prejudices & barriers I held about religion and “religious people” which I worked through. I can recall a distinctive moment (at 20 yrs) when I felt my search had come to an end. Many years on now.....even through difficult and painful moments - it feels absolutely blissful to experience peace and conclusion at the same time. I know this is a journey that will continue for as long as I am in this body.

I think it's possible to arrive at a conclusion, to feel grounded and secure but also to experience the freedom to doubt, challenge oneself & to continue asking those WHY questions.

Wow really? Much is lost in text then. My original statement when I replied to Lark was a serious response. No feeling behind it what so ever. The statement you refer to with the smiley, was also a serious statement. The smiley there indicating partial amusement that there would have been any confusion in that, that being "flippant" was even a consideration when all it was, was a statement.

Oh and of note, sometimes my posts come through disorganized in terms of the way the text is put together. Sometimes I am on my phone, other times the computer. Responding via phone is obviously a little more difficult. I dont take the time to get everything in exactly the right spot because most of the time I am dealing with time frames that dont allow this. I apologize for this, it may seem like I am giving responses where I have not given serious thought to the matter I am responding to. That is not the intention.