I find it hard to date.... | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

I find it hard to date....

I should point out something that may be taboo for most people. I'm antifeminist and don't feel bothered with saying it, and I don't expect the usual ad hominem attacks to pop out on this forum.

Basically, any action that triggers emotions directly or indirectly in other people is either right or wrong. Therefore, when a woman rejects someone, her rejection is either justified or unjustified, based on the motivations behind it.

* She may be rejecting a man for morally objective reasons - for instance, because she's sure he cannot meet certain objective criteria that would make him objectively worth loving, because she's already taken and strongly believes in monogamy, or because she will soon be leaving the country forever and he is unlikely to come with her.
* She may be rejecting a man for empathic reasons - for instance, because she's already taken and wouldn't want to make her lover jealous, even if she disagreed with monogamy.
* She may be rejecting a man out of feminine lust - for instance, because he isn't "confident" enough, i.e. he isn't controlling other men, or because he is "needy", i.e. wants to form strong bonds with her.
* She may be rejecting a man out of cold self-interest - for instance, because he cannot provide as much wealth to her as the next guy.

It's easy to see that a woman is justified in rejecting someone for morally objective or empathic reasons, but not out of lust or self-interest. Also, moral objectivity and empathy cannot coexist with lust and self-interest, although it's beyond the scope of this post to explain why.

Now, let's look at the "nice", "needy" guy, whom women shun like holy water. Refraining from cultivating a sense of dominance, and thus being nice, is a quality. Dominance is a bad thing, it hurts and cripples its victims. Being "needy" by wanting to form strong bonds is also a quality, as it allows people to help each other in profound ways; indeed, not being "needy" in this sense is a defect. If a woman loses interest in a man because he has qualities such as the above, she either believes she has a deeper understanding of what true qualities are than the man she is rejecting, or she is rejecting him because she concerns herself more with her lust and self-interest than with objective measures of worth. But if she really did have a deeper understanding as suggested, she would arguably want to reveal her understanding of things to the man involved. What women do instead, when asked about the reasons for their rejection, is lie through their teeth, further supporting the idea that they act out of self-interest instead of objective morality. They then tell the man that they should be "just friends", showing that they have no real understanding of how friendship works (hint: it does not involve trying to ignore the friend's suffering for the sake of personal convenience), and wander off, feeling proud of seeming a bit more desirable for the day. This is not very ethical.

I mention all this because some of you have mentioned issues regarding PUAs and the evolutionary psychology of feminine lust. Rather than merely describing these issues as facts, it would help to identify their moral value on a case-by-case basis. If the facts are just, then they must be taken into account as moral prerogatives; if they are unjust, however (and they are), then they must be stringently opposed, along with those who brought them about or endorses them.
The whole PUA thing bothers me for the obvious reasons: it is about sinking into dishonesty, cruelty and apathy for the sake of persuading the kind of woman who buys into PUA garbage to sleep with you.

Dating also bothers me, because I need to trust the person involved in order to love her, and if I do trust her, I expose myself to a lot of deceit, to the pain her potentially selfish rejection causes me and to the neglect she would exhibit towards that pain; and all of these merit retaliation, which is in most cases so inconvenient to apply and so limited in scope that it cannot be relied on as a consolation.

The only sane thing I can do in light of this is to refuse to contribute to the welfare of women or save them from their difficulties, though I make an exception of those who have demonstrated that they are motivated by strong principles, rather than whim or personal ambitions, in all aspects of their lives, including romance. Nowadays, if I see a female stranger getting sexually assaulted in the street, I would walk by without so much as batting an eyelash, because I could reasonably assume that she would treat me with deceit, callousness and cruelty if I allowed myself to trust her. It may sound harsh, but so are the standards that women have (for their own benefit) set up in dating.

[MENTION=4023]primaloath[/MENTION]

How is anything done by humans not done in self-interest, if indirectly?

You describe human behaviour like a lawyer trying to break it down as "lawful" or "unlawful".

Just because some people claim that they value certain things or idealize certain values doesn't mean that they will actually embody them fully.

People don't make decisions based on what is ethical or unethical when dating. I don't see why you are relating this to women specifically, although I can understand the sentiment.

It may be that I am biased, because I have almost never seen men date, but I do believe
that there are fewer men than women who are cruel about dating.

Actually, I'm hoping no one was offended by what I wrote in the earlier post.

On whether I can classify things into ethical or unethical, I think it's a fair thing to
do. If you have a set of choices you can make, the most unethical one can be seen as the
one that causes the most long-lasting suffering to any of those it affects, apart from any
evil individuals, and the most ethical one can be seen as the one that provides the
greatest welfare, safety, strength and aptitude to all those it affects, apart from any
evil individuals. If something is unethical, it cannot also be ethical, no matter what
overall benefits it provides. This is a good basis for moral reasoning.

Now, consider the following (clearly fictional) dialogue.

Her: "I'm not really into you."
Me: "Well, that really hurts, but could you let me know why you don't like me? If I have a
defect you don't like, I could actually fix it and ask you for a date again."
Her: "What, you want me to tell you how you can get me to like you? That's pretty
pathetic."
Me: "Developing qualities or fixing defects is not pathetic at all. Indeed, it's one of the
most valuable pursuits in one's life. If you did reject me for some genuine defect I have,
I can fix it and approach you again, thereby gaining both a quality and your love. If you
believe I have a defect that I don't actually consider a defect, then I'll simply have to
accept that you won't love me and move on, which is fine. But..."
Her: "O-kay... Forget I..."
Me: "...but if you just reject me on a whim, then all the love and hope I invested in you
will disintegrate, simply for the sake of a whim."
Her: "Forget I said anything."
Me: "Okay, nevermind. But just be honest with me. Why did you reject me?"
Her: "Honestly? You're just too soft and emotional all the time."
Me: "Really? That's odd. Because you're soft and emotional as well. It's why I appreciate
you so much. If you dislike yourself for it, why not change?"
Her: "Dislike... Myself? Oh, no. I'm fine with being needy. I just don't like men who are
like that."
Me: "Wait. You're fine with being emotional yourself, but don't like men who are emotional?
So you like some people because they have a personality trait and dislike other people for
having the same trait?"
Her: "No, look... I'm just not into soft and needy men. I really want a man who's tough and
can protect me."
Me: "Oh. But if you want the protection to be reciprocal whenever it can be, and you think
being tough adds to a person's ability to protect, shouldn't you also want to be tough?"
Her: "Well, no..."
Me: "So you don't want the protection to be reciprocal?"
Her: "I don't. I wouldn't mind being taken care of. I just want a man who can protect me."
Me: "A man who can protect you; you totally don't want a wimp."
Her: "Yeah. I totally don't want a wimp."
Me: "But you're a wimp too."
Her: "Say what?!"
Me: "You're a wimp. You don't event want to be tough. And you're happy with yourself being
a wimp, but if you see men whom you think are wimps, you think they're beneath you and not
worth your time. And if you see men who are tough by your standards, you want to be around
them for how their qualities benefit you and for how sexy they make these men seem, not
because you intrinsically treasure these qualities. If you did treasure them, you would
cultivate them yourself. The saddest thing about all this is that you accept the people who
are the least hurt by rejection and reject the people who are the most hurt by it."
Her: "Look..."
Me: "It's fine, but bear in mind that you've hurt me and are going to hurt other people. If
we're all lucky, you'll settle down with someone who has double standards similar to yours.
But those of us who are honest, thinking you are honest as well, will be hurt when we
approach you, either because you reject us for reasons that are unethical or because you
accept us for reasons that are unethical, and because we inevitably learn, after being
accepted, that you've broken the hearts of several good people. It's nice, at least, that
you were honest about your motives, as I will not have any confusion to dwell on."
Her: "I have to go."
Me: "Farewell."

It's a fictional dialogue largely because "she" would probably leave on her third reply.

Most women do behave unethically when dating - and, again, I have no idea whether most men
also do this. They don't think about not hurting other people in their search for a mate. They just follow their lust.

[MENTION=4023]primaloath[/MENTION] WOW lol the female in the conversation you described sounds like a very cruel/unthoughtful person from her second line on.

I think the sort of rudeness you've experienced from the girls you've dated seems like it's due to some sense of entitlement or narcissism and lack of self-reflection. I suppose I've never dated or been rejected by a woman lol so I don't really have any first-hand data about this. I think though that the "dating unethicalness" thing that you have come up with is actually a combination of women having superficial prefences (which is normal, as men have these as well), and plain old immaturity/inexperience/lack of introspection (and in this case you described, unwillingness or not seeing value in personal development), the latter traits of which not all women have. You are 25. You are young. I'm guessing the amount of non-immature females in the age pool that you target is not large. Plus I don't think a lot of these women will want to wait for you to change to fit their "standards". They probably want or expect you to be all that from day one.

Perhaps a way to avoid what you have been experiencing would be to ask her from the very first date, "what kind of men do you like, and what traits in men do you dislike?" If this happened right from the start before she had time to form much of an opinion about you, then she would be more open to discussion. She might even listen to your take on women and dating and make notes to be attentive to not behaving in your disliked ways if she likes you enough.

[MENTION=4023]primaloath[/MENTION] some women are like the woman you described in your example. By the same token some men also beat up women. Is it fair of us to make these types of judgments on all members of a sex based on our subjective experience, when it seems that the types of people we are attracted to all fall into similar groups as the people to whom we've been attracted in the past?

Reactions: barbad0s
hmmm.

Well, I've rejected a lot of men and some women. The rejection happens because I don't feel any chemistry or connection with them what so ever. Generally speaking it's not any one specific trait that I'm rejecting, there's just not that spark there that makes me want to be with them on a romantic level. Some of these guys have been your classic "nice guy" and some of them have been your classic "bad boy." I don't reject based on what people would stereotype them as. I reject them because I don't feel we are compatible for one reason or another.

I think that women do tend to focus on the protection factor of men a lot. The problem is I think they focus too much on being physically protected by men instead of focusing on being mentally and emotionally protected by men. What I mean by that is that women tend to want a guy who can beat the shit out of another guy who threatens her. Problem is that usually opportunities to show of their shit beating skills come few and far between unless they're one of those assholes who is always out looking for a fight. I think it's exponentially more important to be with someone who is on your emotional and intellectual level and who takes interest in your emotional well-being. I feel like that is its own form of protection, in a way.

I think everyone should be responsible for their own physical, emotional, and mental well being but it's nice when you form a relationship with someone who has their best interests at heart and who's best interest you have at heart. I think it's more about learning to be your best self with someone else, being with someone who likes you EXACTLY as you are and encourages you to be yourself wholly and completely and through that who helps you see your own value and potential as a human being. It's not just about a guy who can physically protect a girl or a girl who is going to be completely submissive and needy with a guy. Relationships should be more of a partnership, not just being together because you can get some idealized quality out of the person you want to be with.

It's harder to date when you abandon superficial reasons for wanting to be with a particular person. It's easier to have a relationship when you get into it because you are compatible and have great chemistry and a strong connection. It's just a matter of finding that person I guess.

I would match INFJs with INTJs. And of course ENFJs are always a good choice for any type :) I would caution against an INFJ-INFJ pairing. It would be comfortable, but there would be no synergy in the way of complements. You would have the same shortcomings. You wouldn't balance each other out. And be careful with INTJs, you have to pick a well balanced one although female INTJs are more likely to be balanced.

Actually, if I had to give advice, I'd say the exact same thing, [MENTION=4242]dvdt24[/MENTION]. I'm INFJ, and the person that I've met with whom I would have been most comfortable was INTJ. Their planning and go-to-it-ive-ness is something that works really well for a lot of INFJ people. Plus they're honest people. Maybe a little blunt, but honest.

INFJ-INTJ is a good match.

Nowadays, if I see a female stranger getting sexually assaulted in the street, I would walk by without so much as batting an eyelash, because I could reasonably assume that she would treat me with deceit, callousness and cruelty if I allowed myself to trust her. It may sound harsh, but so are the standards that women have (for their own benefit) set up in dating.
I feel sorry for you.

By the same token, if I saw a black man getting beat up in the streets I wouldn't bat an eyelash because I'd assume he'd rob me if I intervened.

Reactions: barbad0s
I feel sorry for you.

By the same token, if I saw a black man getting beat up in the streets I wouldn't bat an eyelash because I'd assume he'd rob me if I intervened.
How about a Mexican man? How do you feel about that?