HSP | INFJ Forum

HSP

firehotemily

Community Member
Feb 16, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Can you get mixed up in your personality type because of being an HSP (highly sensitive person)? Because i think you can have different personalities and still be an HSP. or..do you think otherwise?]
I say that i am an INFJ but some say i'm an ENFJ, i'm not sure if i'm even a personality type anymore xD
i just wonder if i might not be an INFJ because of the fact that i'm a HSP...or...is an HSP an INFJ?
Now, as an introduction to the trait of high sensitivity, see if some of these statements resonate with you, or relate to someone important in your life...

HSP-BULLET.GIF
You, your partner, or someone important to you have a heightened awareness of subtleties in your environment, whether it's sight, sound, touch, taste, or smell.

HSP-BULLET.GIF
You can become stressed out and upset when overwhelmed and may find it necessary to get away, maybe into a darkened room, to seek solitude, relief and comfort.

HSP-BULLET.GIF
You are very creative.

HSP-BULLET.GIF
You are very conscientious, hard working, and meticulous, but may become uncomfortable and less efficient or productive when being watched or scrutinized.

HSP-BULLET.GIF
You feel compelled to file and organize things and thoughts, also enjoy simplicity and may become overwhelmed or even immobilized by chaos, clutter, or stress.

HSP-BULLET.GIF
You are very uncomfortable when feeling things are getting out of your control.

HSP-BULLET.GIF
You get a sense of comfort and well being when around a lake, river, stream, the ocean, or even a fountain.

HSP-BULLET.GIF
You may experience mood swings, sometimes occurring almost instantly and can also be affected by other people's moods, emotions and problems.

HSP-BULLET.GIF
You have a deep, rich, inner life, are very spiritual, and may also have vivid dreams.

HSP-BULLET.GIF
You are very intuitive and you feel that you can usually sense if someone isn't telling the truth or if something else is wrong.

HSP-BULLET.GIF
You get concerned and think or worry about many things, and have also been told "you take things too personally."

HSP-BULLET.GIF
You have had the experience of "cutting people out" of your life.

HSP-BULLET.GIF
You were considered quiet, introverted, timid, or shy as a child.
What personality type do these traits most likely fall into?

An HSP is a Highly Sensitive Person
here's some statistics they have...
We've learned highly sensitive persons or "HSPs" make up 15% to 20% of the population. (People with the trait of high sensitivity are also sometimes referred to as ultra sensitive people, or super sensitive people.) HSP's nervous systems are different and are more sensitive to subtleties in their environment, which can be a good or bad thing. And because they process and reflect upon incoming information so deeply, they are more likely to become over stimulated and overwhelmed than Non-HSP.
Highly sensitive individuals have often said they feel they are "different" and just don't fit in; we've even heard some HSPs say they sometimes feel like they're from a different planet.

The trait of high sensitivity can be viewed as having both positive as well as negative characteristics, and it is a valid and normal trait and is not a "character flaw" or "disorder."
On the positive side, and there is a big positive side, we have learned highly sensitive people have wonderful imaginations, are often very intelligent, creative, curious, and are known for being very hard workers, great organizers and problem solvers. They are known for being extremely conscientious and meticulous. HSP are blessed with being exceptionally intuitive, caring, compassionate and spiritual. They are also blessed with an incredible aesthetic awareness and appreciation for nature, music and the arts.
Who do you think these people are personality type wise?

Last edited:
I think being an HSP doesn't have to minutely have to deal with personality type. Of course, some personality types are definitely NOT HSP like INTJs, but I would think INFJs are a type that tends to be highly HSP.

Never really knew this thing called "HSP" existed, but I knew I was always highly sensitive...it just brought it out for me. Thanks for the info! It kind of feels like the time I found out I was an INFJ and read about the type. I knew I was all of those things, but I never saw them all put together in one place. Yeah, being HSP is a bit hard, though I think its something really special.

Well, I just went through this list again, more honestly this time, and 24 of them apply to me. The only ones that don't are the ones about caffeine (it has no effect on me whatsoever), loud noises (though there are certain ones that will bother me, but usually it doesn't bother me), and violent entertainment (real violence does bother me, but fantasy violence does not, though certain movies that have scenes involving torture [especially of women, or anything where women are treated badly] really bother me a lot and sometimes even make me cry. I remember watching The Passion of the Christ in the theater, and I cried really hard throughout almost the whole entire movie, and kept crying throughout all of the credits, and wasn't able to stop until about half an hour after the credits were done. I absolutely could not stand it...and I never want to watch that movie again.).

Last edited:
HSP is likely the same thing as someone on the autistic spectrum, or possibly even schizophrenic spectrum (they're interrelated, anyway). Keep in mind sensory issues are very common, if not a staple, in Asperger's and other forms of autism, as a result of neurological imbalance.

What's it have to do with type? Probably not much at all, except Ns and Is are probably more likely to be found on the spectrum than ES types, though it can vary.

HSP is likely the same thing as someone on the autistic spectrum
I am probably somewhere on that, though I don't know where exactly. I've done a decent bit of reading on it (it's also been highly suggested that I have some form of autism by my aunt who has been an RN for god knows how long, and she's seen a lot of people like that), but I can't quite figure out where I would be.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter, in the end. Usually, mild autistic traits of any worthy note are clumped as 'Asperger's' for adults, and the diagnostic criteria for that are broadening.

But when I look around at people, I see 'traits' in a lot of them, so it probably should just be considered natural variation, at this point. It's when it makes life particularly difficult for someone that any diagnosis makes a difference.

I realize this is an old thread but some correction is in order. HSP and Autism spectrum disorders are only tangentially related. The only thing they have in common is high sensitivity. Almost everything else is very different. HSPs are sensitive because they process the senses deeply. Autism spectrum disorder has to do with improper processing of the senses. HSPs are highly socially skilled and empathetic while autism is a form of social disfunction and lack a sense of empathy. In many ways the two are mirror images of each other.

I realize this is an old thread but some correction is in order. HSP and Autism spectrum disorders are only tangentially related. The only thing they have in common is high sensitivity. Almost everything else is very different. HSPs are sensitive because they process the senses deeply. Autism spectrum disorder has to do with improper processing of the senses. HSPs are highly socially skilled and empathetic while autism is a form of social disfunction and lack a sense of empathy. In many ways the two are mirror images of each other.

I disagree. The senses are processed deeply because they are being processed improperly. Furthermore, Autism is not synonymous with a lack of empathy or social dysfunction. It is a developmental disorder, of which, social dysfunction will likely develop.

With that said, sensory processing disorder (or HSP) is a symptom of Autism Spectrum Disorder. However, if you have sensory processing disorder, it does not necessarily mean that you are Autistic.

Last edited:
HSP is distinct from the autism spectrum and it is not a disorder. It is a preference shared by 20% of the population that can be either possitive or negative depending on the circumstances. For many the trait of HSP helps them function at very high levels. It is a gift not a disorder.

i think types with Ni rather than Si and introversion rather than extroversion have a tendency for hsp. only it tends to come differently for each type. like an istp hsp would be hypersensitive to being watched by other people. whereas isfp hsp would be hypersensitive to what other people think of them. and so on etc. and like, im hsp of sensual things such as pollution in the air. and generally obsessive towards perfection so i have zero tolerance for my injuries which bother me ALOT..

Seems like hsp is more of a sensor thing. Probably isfp.