How you are perceived

Vilku

Community Member
Feb 8, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1, 7w6, 4w3
the title, how you wish you were perceived, how you want to be perceived, what you strive to be perceived, etc.

How do you not want to be perceived..

Ill say, i dont others to think they see the depth of my feelings yet i want them to see it.. And always when thwy do, my head gets messed up and my beautiful feelings fade -.-

i also want to be seen as heavily on the mentally crazy side. (i love the feeling of not being confined by their expectations.)
as that allows me to overcome my unbearable uncertainty\sensitivity in my honest feelings, thus others cant differentiate my honest (sensitive and uncertain) feelings from the craziness they receive.

Soo.. Silly mask is my preferrabåe self defence.
But i rarely feel like bothering to do it well.

I have also noticed some people literally think my 5 senses are imagination, while yes they are, imaginative representatives of what i cannot directly perceive. Like pain. Just signals in my brain which i could ignore, and unconsciosuly my knowledge transmits to the sensors who then believe its ok to physycally hurt me.. Ugfh -.-

sensor logic..

How qbout the rest of you? If you got a question, feel fre to ask.

I guess I am perceived as I am.

But people do not perceive what I want to be.

Without going into specifics (sorry to the OP), I guess that reminds me that wishing something and having something are very different... and to overcome that difference is difficult.

how you wish to be perceived: Confident, capable

how you want to be perceived: understanding, caring

how you strive to be perceived: kind, honest, genuine, normal

how do you not want to be perceived: negatively - weak, incapable, unsure, umcomfortable with self, insensitive

Reactions: Flavus Aquila
Different people see me in different ways. From what I've been told, I'm generally seen as calm, intelligent and funny. I've never really thought about how I'd like to be seen. I do know that I don't want to be seen as stupid or weak.

Is it awful if you don't care? I want people to see me as kind, giving, a good listener and strong; but if they don't I'm good with that.

"Wish" and "want" aren't the same? :redface:

I wish to be perceived as I really am, my better/lighter side to be exact. But as long as I'm treated with respect it's fine. If they think I'm an oddball, so be it. I guess I'm often perceived as strange, reserved, too honest, "head in the clouds", secretive, radical, difficult to deal with. Strangers may think I'm cold. Close friends think I'm outgoing which I'm not.
What you strive to be perceived: It would be nice to be taken seriously. More normal would be nice because I think it'd be easier to make friends but who knows, maybe I'm wrong about it. I can't say I "strive". I don't strive for anyone's approval, so I remain the way I am. Of course, I put on a mask sometimes but I don't enjoy it. I just don't want to exhibit my true feelings to people I don't know.

I'm comfortable with the way people perceive me, whether it be positive or negative. I can't bother myself with how everyone feels about me. My peers understand that we are all human, that we all have strengths and weaknesses. I'm perceived normally as a whip cracker, and though that may sound negative it is more of a reliability factor. When I commit myself to something, I work hard to achieve the best possible result. Git Er Dun!

"Wish" and "want" aren't the same? :redface:

I wish to be perceived as I really am, my better/lighter side to be exact. But as long as I'm treated with respect it's fine. If they think I'm an oddball, so be it. I guess I'm often perceived as strange, reserved, too honest, "head in the clouds", secretive, radical, difficult to deal with. Strangers may think I'm cold. Close friends think I'm outgoing which I'm not.
What you strive to be perceived: It would be nice to be taken seriously. More normal would be nice because I think it'd be easier to make friends but who knows, maybe I'm wrong about it. I can't say I "strive". I don't strive for anyone's approval, so I remain the way I am. Of course, I put on a mask sometimes but I don't enjoy it. I just don't want to exhibit my true feelings to people I don't know.

waht i want, i get.
What i wish, i dont really want.if i did, i would find way to have it, even if definition had to be changed into more realistic, the core feeling would still be the same.

I have capabilities for anything i want, just finding those wants is the more difficult part. Thinking i want something would be lying. Cause as i said, i get what i want. Thus im trying to undertsand what i really want, cause its annoying if what i want isnt something sustainanable.

Its easy to give too much meaning to thoughts which exist only for the purpose of preoccupying my mind, and they mess my head. And its all just cause i dont know what i want, thus i avoid the pain of meaningless existence with ignorance.
Maybe i should start focusing on what i dont want? =|

and why would i want anything i cant have? Sure i wish many things, but apparently not really wanting them. The difference is, unaittainable wants destroy you, while you could wish everything you can imagine, yet being unaffected.

I hav been carrying unattainable want to get rid of my permanent injuries for some years, it really destroyed me. Some things should be left wishes. I almsot wish i were deaf, pain in my ears is unbearable.
Maybe its not that horrible, i could still feel and imagine, even if the most important sense is out. Hm.. That actually seems rather desirable. Sure playing feelings with voice and verbality is great, but just one another useless activity.

.. Seems i got a friendly reminder, someone decided to warm their house the old way and now smoke has fille every place here. Life would still be a hell.

i don't worry too much about other people's perceptions of me, unless i have an ulterior motive such as a job interview etc.
there will always be those who don't like me or what i'm about and i long since stopped caring about that.

how i perceive myself is of the utmost importance to me, however. (my ego loves that shit)
it's important to me to be true of heart and tongue, to be nurturing, kind.
i am at my best emotionally, psychologically, mentally and spiritually when these things are in the forefront of my mind, but it isn't always easy to 'be' those things.

I think I'm generally perceived as intelligent and a bit self-centered, both of which are true. I don't mind being thought of this way, since it causes people to tolerate me without trying to actively become my friend. I guess I want to be perceived as this, well, INFJ-style guru who's filled with knowledge and power. But that's not happening, so as long as people don't hate me, I'm good.

the title, how you wish you were perceived, how you want to be perceived, what you strive to be perceived, etc.

How do you not want to be perceived..

What time of day, day of week, or how is the weather that day? LOL

That's how often I flow through the thoughts. I think we all want to be perceived as good, decent people but then again, maybe we all don't care. I try to be an upbeat positive yet realistic person but I have my days. I am sure people perceive me as many things from conceded to a know-it-all but if they only knew that sometimes if you show weakness then that gives people the opportunity to go in for the kill. So I have learned that it only matters what one being thinks and the rest, well, their opinions are just that- their opinions. I spent my life being manipulated and used and never had any fun- now it's time to change that. :D

I want to be perceived as being stronger and more self-aware, and in that sense less emotional, less dramatic, less sensitive, less wishy-washy. I have a habit of going all over the emotional scale and being inconsistent, not to mention contradicting myself on an almost continual basis. Although it is quite accidental and done in the most natural way, I feel that people begin to perceive this as insincerity, and nothing bothers me more than the thought of being perceived as insincere.

I strive to appear confident, organised and disciplined in my daily life. Outwardly these values are hugely important to me, but underneath there also exists a never-ending emotional turmoil of which I feel oddly ashamed. And I don't want people to perceive just how much their perception of me matters, and how easily I am wounded by disapproval. I strive continually to hide my vanity, self-consciousness and childish manipulative side from others, most especially myself. Oh, the irony.

People feel the pain when they talk to me. I usually see it on their face. People are also confused by me. People are not sure how to perceive me because I can be powerful and meek at the same time and I think they are usually not used to that.

As a Staples...no really everyone asks me for pencils all the time

Aside from that I dont really know o.o

I care how I'm perceived. I want however I'm perceived to match my idealized self. :p

No one is an island. Some peoples opinions matter.

Reactions: knight in battle
I care how I'm perceived. I want however I'm perceived to match my idealized self. :p

No one is an island. Some peoples opinions matter.

well that's honest.

If you want to know how you are perceived, feel free to rep me for an opinion here.

Reactions: barbad0s
Well clearly I care. I think that much has been established tonight. :p

waht i want, i get.
What i wish, i dont really want.if i did, i would find way to have it, even if definition had to be changed into more realistic, the core feeling would still be the same.

I have capabilities for anything i want, just finding those wants is the more difficult part. Thinking i want something would be lying. Cause as i said, i get what i want. Thus im trying to undertsand what i really want, cause its annoying if what i want isnt something sustainanable.

Its easy to give too much meaning to thoughts which exist only for the purpose of preoccupying my mind, and they mess my head. And its all just cause i dont know what i want, thus i avoid the pain of meaningless existence with ignorance.
Maybe i should start focusing on what i dont want? =|

and why would i want anything i cant have? Sure i wish many things, but apparently not really wanting them. The difference is, unaittainable wants destroy you, while you could wish everything you can imagine, yet being unaffected.

I hav been carrying unattainable want to get rid of my permanent injuries for some years, it really destroyed me. Some things should be left wishes. I almsot wish i were deaf, pain in my ears is unbearable.
Maybe its not that horrible, i could still feel and imagine, even if the most important sense is out. Hm.. That actually seems rather desirable. Sure playing feelings with voice and verbality is great, but just one another useless activity.

.. Seems i got a friendly reminder, someone decided to warm their house the old way and now smoke has fille every place here. Life would still be a hell.

Then you're fortunate/lucky if you get what you want. For me "to wish", "want", "desire", "long for" are all synonyms and mean more or less the same thing. I wish/want/desire and even need the same things because why wouldn't I want what I can't have. I don't have a capability to buy a house in cash right now, for example, but it doesn't mean I don't want to. If I ever get it is a question because plans can be always destroyed by the certain events.
The same goes for a "wish". I wish I were stronger and I believe I can become it with time, patience and discipline. A wish in this case is my driving force.
So pardon me, with all due respect I didn't exactly understand what you've written. Looked up the definitions of the words in the dictionary as well. While I get the subtle details but it is just the same thing to me.

I want to be perceived as awesome by the people that I think are awesome. It would be helpful if many other people saw me as awesome as well.

awesome (to me--and with the exception of life struggles and journeys and things taken into account) means:
- generally a good person
- not petty or fake
- reasonably intelligent and perceptive, and can think for themselves
- aware of what is going on in the world; broad knowledge base
- easy to get along with and open to connecting with others
- good to work with and deal with
- has personal goals and interests; is a multifaceted person involved in their own development
- at least somewhat independent

I think an amplified version of this is how I would like to be perceived.

How I would not like to be perceived (am afraid to be perceived as--try to avoid it):
- incompetent
- flakey and unreliable
- inconsistent reasoning
- socially awkward or inappropriate
- hurtful

The opposites of the above would be awesome attributes.

Last edited by a moderator: