Morgain

defective wisdom
Donor
Aug 20, 2009
MBTI
INFJ again
Enneagram
4w5
We are all have troubles with deciding on our type. One of the reasons is that while growing up we have to adapt ourselves to the needs of our environement and so we develop treads that are not natural to our baseline type. Defective creative posted this website that gives a very good, ver interesting descriptions of the MBTI types for childeren.

So the question is, how would you describe yourself as a child (6-12) and how well does that fit with the description of your "child MBTI"?

Reactions: dark_angel
Great site!

IFP Traits

1. Very idealistic
  2. Take things seriously and personally
  3. Quiet and gentle
  4. Extremely sensitive
  5. Shy and reserved with strangers
  6. Enjoy reading
  7. Service-oriented, they want to please others
  8. They love animals and small babies
  9. Likely to be messy and unstructured
  10. They need lots of love and affection
Potential Strengths

1. Deeply caring and empathic
  2. They're usually very kind and sweet
  3. Laidback and easygoing, they're not likely to create trouble
  4. They adapt well to new situations, and welcome change
  5. They're usually relaxed, peaceful and unrushed
  6. Usually extremely creative and artistic
  7. They are original and genuine
  8. Take things seriously, and aren't likely to be frivolous
  9. They need harmony, and can be good peacemakers
  10. They're faithful and devoted to people and causes
  11. They're often quite faithful to their religion
Potential Weaknesses

1. They're extremely sensitive and become hurt very easily
  2. They cannot use logic well at a young age
  3. They don't really have a concept of time or schedules, so they are frequently late
  4. May be reckless and irresponsible with money
  5. Tendency to let negative thoughts build up inside them until it becomes an unhealthy situation
  6. They cannot see things objectively - they see everything from their own point of view (this is true as a child but not as an adult)
  7. If they feel rejected or unloved, they may become very depressed and moody
  8. They are procrastinators and have trouble completing projects
  9. They are so internally focused that they are sometimes completely unaware of how anyone else is feeling
  10. They have difficulty expressing their deepest feelings, and are sometimes unaware of these feelings themselves
  11. Although they care deeply about others, they are self-absorbed and so may be seen as selfish
  12. They cannot take any kind of criticism, and will become defensive and emotional when criticised
  13. They don't like to make decisions, and will put it off as long as possible
  14. They often view decisions with absolute finality, and don't realize that they can change their mind later
  15. They naturally move slowly doing things, which makes them sometimes appear lazy
  16. They have trouble asserting themselves
IFP Learning Style

IFPs often are dreamy and imaginative children, and may seem to be off in their own world. They usually excel in the Humanities, such as English (Writing), Music, Art, and History. They will be interested in Science classes that have a clear human connection, such as Biology.

IFPs will resist doing tasks that seem impersonal, for which they can't see how it affects the human element. Presenting sheerly logical tasks within the framework of how performing the task helps humans will help the IFP face the task more willingly. Logic is still not their strong point, so patience learning these kinds of tasks will have to be shown. Since they're not naturally logical and they don't naturally see the value of sheer logic, the IFP is at a disadvantage with these kinds of lessons.

IFPs have trouble making decisions about which project they want to do, or which class they want to take, etc. They are often fearful of making decisions because they think that they are final and unalterable, and they're afraid of making the wrong choice. IFP children should be helped to make these kinds of decisions on their own, and they should be supported and encouraged in the decisions that they make. Positive reinforcement will help the IFP to trust their decision-making abilities.

IFP children have trouble following through on projects. They may lose interest halfway through, and move onto the next exciting project. IFP children need to learn the value of finishing what they start. They will not finish all of their projects, but they can be expected to finish at least the larger, more important projects that they have begun. This should be encouraged with a reward system, rather than a punishment system. IFPs are often crushed by punishment and criticism. (yeah, tough love does't work with this type)

IFP children are frequently scattered in their priorities, and dislike making decisions or commiting themselves to one particular idea. To combat this tendency, teachers and other adults should frequently tell IFP children to "pick one thing and do it well". Engraining this idea in the IFP's mind will offer a significant gift to the developing IFP, and the adult that they will become.

When giving constructive criticism or a poor grade to an IFP, also give some positive feedback so that the IFP is not frightened off from doing that type of task again in the future.

Last edited:
IFP Res?

For me the IFP is much more corresponding than the INJ description, actually the INJ doesn't respond to me at all. But the ISJ descriptions als fits! Alle my years in high school and college I was ISJ to the rouths.

It makes so much sense if I was an IFP with an ISTJ father. I think I was pretty much imaginary and creative when I was a child. I remember that when I was playing with my brother I made up all the stories and he played along. But somehow that stopped when going to high school. There it was all duty. For instance in the art classes I got, I would rather ask myself what the teacher wanted me to make than to let it come from my own imagination. I never used my imagination anymore. I needed a lot of love and attention and negative critique crushed me, made me feel I was not good enough. The website say that whenever giving negative critisism to an IFP you should als say something positive. My father was the opposite. He never could give me positive critisism, he always had to add something negative. I also have trouble with making decisions but whenever I made one, my father started to question it. Made me very much doubt my own perception. And I think this made me act like an ITJ. relying on my "database" instead of my intuition. I start to store the info I get and try to find in my data warehouse what I should do in a certain situation, what are the expectations? That made me very stricked and rigid and affraid of change because than I don't know any more what is expected and don't know how to act. But this also enriched me by learning me how to use Si and Te

IFP Res?

For me the IFP is much more corresponding than the INJ description, actually the INJ doesn't respond to me at all. But the ISJ descriptions als fits! Alle my years in high school and college I was ISJ to the rouths.

It makes so much sense if I was an IFP with an ISTJ father. I think I was pretty much imaginary and creative when I was a child. I remember that when I was playing with my brother I made up all the stories and he played along. But somehow that stopped when going to high school. There it was all duty. For instance in the art classes I got, I would rather ask myself what the teacher wanted me to make than to let it come from my own imagination. I never used my imagination anymore. I needed a lot of love and attention and negative critique crushed me, made me feel I was not good enough. The website say that whenever giving negative critisism to an IFP you should als say something positive. My father was the opposite. He never could give me positive critisism, he always had to add something negative. I also have trouble with making decisions but whenever I made one, my father started to question it. Made me very much doubt my own perception. And I think this made me act like an ITJ. relying on my "database" instead of my intuition. I start to store the info I get and try to find in my data warehouse what I should do in a certain situation, what are the expectations? That made me very stricked and rigid and affraid of change because than I don't know any more what is expected and don't know how to act. But this also enriched me by learning me how to use Si and Te

Yep, IFP fits my childhood pretty well.

INJ description fits me better as an adult . . .

INJ Traits

1. They have vivid imaginations
  2. They're curious about everything, and are always asking "Why?"
  3. They enjoy spending time one-on-one with others, rather than in large groups
  4. They're often off in their own world, and have a dreamlike quality
  5. They enjoy art and music
  6. They love books, and especially enjoy fiction
  7. They're likely to hang back and watch before participating in a social situation
  8. They're intensely private, and don't always share their thought and feelings
  9. They like structure and are unsettled by chaos or unplanned events
  10. They prefer sports that focus on individual performance rather than team sports
  11. They are perfectionists
  12. They're serious and intense
  13. They often seem older than they are, and may have older friends
  14. They are original and independent, and value their uniqueness
  15. They're not overly concerned with grades, but they want to completely understand a subject that interests them
Potential Strengths

1. They're usually very intelligent
  2. They can grasp the big picture easily
  3. They can see any far-reaching consequences of their actions
  4. They're very resourceful
  5. They are extremely creative and imaginative
  6. They easily come up with good ideas
  7. They're usually well-liked by their peers
  8. They will completely master a subject that interests them
  9. Their desire to be in control of themselves makes them take responsibility for their actions
  10. They are usually confident in their ideas, and know instinctively when they are right about something
Potential Weaknesses

1. They have short attention spans
  2. They get bored easily with details or routine tasks
  3. They won't put any effort into doing something that doesn't interest them
  4. They frequently don't hear people
  5. Once they have made up their mind about something, they can be very stubborn about it
  6. They ignore details
  7. They are unsettled by change, and don't usually adapt well to new situations
  8. They're uncomfortable and somewhat overwhelmed by large groups
  9. They are rather unaware of their environment, and seem "out of it"
  10. They are rather self-centered, and may be unaware of how their actions or words affect others
  11. They can be controlling and bossy
  12. Although they come up with ideas easily, they don't do as well implementing their ideas
INJ Learning Style

INJs are extremely curious and intellectual children who need a wide variety of mental stimulation. When they are interested in a subject, they will naturally want to know everything about it. Teachers should be prepared to point INJ children towards sources where they can learn more about the subject.

INJ children don't do well with tasks that require following prescribed steps in a plan or rote memorization. They find these kinds of things extremely boring, and they will resist doing them. They also don't like to do things repetitively. Once they have done something once, they are done with it and want to move on to the next thing. To keep things interesting for the INJ, teachers should give them the basic theory and the desired outcome, and let them figure out how to get there on their own.

Teachers should realize the INJ's weakness of not always being aware of their environment, and recognize that if an INJ didn't hear the teacher, it doesn't necessarily mean that they weren't listening. Sometimes the INJ's private world overtakes the INJ to the point that they completely tune out their environment. As much patience as possible should be shown with this characteristic. INJs will develop some control over this as they grow older.

INJs love to come up with ideas, and naturally want to put their ideas into some kind of structure or plan. They want to do this on their own, with little or no direction. This is almost an insult to the INJ, who bases a great deal of their self-esteem on their independence. They highly prize their ideas and their competence at performing their projects, and are threatened by someone giving them too much direction.

INJs thrive doing independent projects that require creativity, such as science projects or writing projects. They will probably not enjoy group projects as much, although they are likely to be fine working with one partner on a project.

Answer the INJ's many questions as thoroughly as possible. If you don't know the answer to a question, be honest and tell them that you don't know. Offer possible avenues for discovering the answer, such as library research. Present the rules and expectations clearly and consistently. INJs naturally crave structure and order. Although they don't want to be told exactly how to do something, they need to understand any rules clearly.

Last edited:
INJ best represents me then and now, althought the learning style bit leaves me a bit bewildered.

Last edited:
INJ profile..

They have vivid imaginations
They're curious about everything, and are always asking "Why?"
They enjoy spending time one-on-one with others, rather than in large groups
They're often off in their own world, and have a dreamlike quality
They enjoy art and music
They love books, and especially enjoy fiction
They're likely to hang back and watch before participating in a social situation
They're intensely private, and don't always share their thought and feelings
They like structure and are unsettled by chaos or unplanned events
They prefer sports that focus on individual performance rather than team sports
They are perfectionists
They're serious and intense
They often seem older than they are, and may have older friends
They are original and independent, and value their uniqueness
They're not overly concerned with grades, but they want to completely understand a subject that interests them

Potential Strengths
They're usually very intelligent *though I do not like the term ''very'' in there*
They can grasp the big picture easily
They can see any far-reaching consequences of their actions
They're very resourceful
They are extremely creative and imaginative
They easily come up with good ideas
They're usually well-liked by their peers
They will completely master a subject that interests them
Their desire to be in control of themselves makes them take responsibility for their actions
They are usually confident in their ideas, and know instinctively when they are right about something
Potential Weaknesses

They have short attention spans
They get bored easily with details or routine tasks
They won't put any effort into doing something that doesn't interest them
They frequently don't hear people

Once they have made up their mind about something, they can be very stubborn about it
They ignore details
They are unsettled by change, and don't usually adapt well to new situations
They're uncomfortable and somewhat overwhelmed by large groups
They are rather unaware of their environment, and seem "out of it"
They are rather self-centered, and may be unaware of how their actions or words affect others
They can be controlling and bossy
Although they come up with ideas easily, they don't do as well implementing their ideas

Bold pretty much described me...which is most I guess..

Last edited:
yes, when I was reading the INJ profile I imidiately had to think of you, Gab. It is completely you. And I was thinking, since they say that at a early age you can't see the difference between INFJ and INTJ and since you are still very young, that this may be the reason why you can't decide between those two types!

As a child.. I was boisterous and troublemaking. I forced my dad to teach me judo and how to throw a football along with my brother. (At first, dad didn't want to teach me.) I was very physical and competitive as a kid..

I was not shy at all.
I was the "class clown" until fourth grade.. when I got all shy and weird.

I think that my parents divorcing around that time sort of drove me inwards... and my personality began to change.

Despite thriving in the company and attention of others until about 10, I liked to play alone in the yard. I was always outdoors I remember.. exploring and trying to make perfume or medicine out of my mom's flower garden..

I'd also make up crazy theories like: "My knee caps are made out of apples and the baby must get wheeled out at the wedding reception along with the cake."

The IFP portrait 7-12 seems very little like me as a child..
Now, the ESP portrait sounds very much like me as a child...

Am I a closet ESXP?
I kind of hope so..

Last edited:
ITP Traits

1. [*] Logical and objective
    [*] Tend to be adventurous, and enjoy taking physical risks
    [*] They're original and value their uniqueness
    [*] They're highly independent, and don't like being told what to do
    [*] They have no interest in controlling or leading others, or telling them what to do (As I got older I had less interest in telling others what to do. As a young child I wanted to be in charge.)
    [*] Quiet and serious (Half the time)
    [*] Honest and direct
    [*] They're very observant
    [*] Curious and interested in learning new things
    [*] Quick to learn new things
    [*] Not overly affectionate or demonstrative of their love
    [*] They enjoy books
    [*] They have a tendency to be loners, and may have one or two friends, rather than lots of acquaintances
    [*] They're very easy-going and undemanding
    [*] Often prefer to work alone rather than in groups
    [*] They want to be good at things that interest them, and they apply their own standards rather than trying to impress anyone else
    [*] They get bored easily
    [*] They value precision in communication, and are irritated by exaggerations and half-truths
Potential Strengths

1. [*] When interested in something, they exhibit extreme competence and will master it completely
    [*] They're flexible and can adapt well to new situations
    [*] Laid-back and easy-going, they're usually easy to get along with
    [*] Strong sense of fairness
    [*] They're highly observant, and quickly incorporate new data into their thinking
    [*] They're usually quite intelligent, and able to do well in higher education
    [*] They're quite honest and truthful
    [*] They take things seriously, and are seldom frivolous or flighty
    [*] They have open and accepting natures, although they're not always interested in people
Potential Weaknesses

1. [*] They don't have a good sense of time or schedules, and may frequently run late or miss deadlines
    [*] They will strongly resist being told what to do, which may present a discipline problem
    [*] They do not like to make decisions, and prefer to leave things open until the last possible moment
    [*] They will resist doing anything that they don't feel like doing
    [*] They're often unaware of how others are feeling, or how their own behavior affects others
    [*] They keep their own feelings closely guarded and well-hidden from others, sometimes even from themselves
    [*] When stressed out or upset, they may react with extreme emotions that are inappropriate or exaggerated for the situation
    [*] Highly objective and detached, they may have difficulty forming close bonds with people
    [*] With their risk-taking natures, they might get into some trouble (This didn't really affect me until high school.)
ITP Learning Style
ITP children have Thinking as their dominant personality function. Accordingly, they are extremely logical and rational. They probably have the capacity to absorb and process just about anything that a school curriculum would offer (Except math, F math). However, if they're not interested in a particular topic, they will not put forth any effort into learning it (Math). They don't tend to be as interested in classes that require use of the Feeling function, such as foreign languages and art (Gross). They are interested in work that requires the use of logic, and increasingly presents new challenges to their minds. These types of courses, such as many kinds of Math (No. English, History, Psychology, Philosophy), will be completely mastered by the ITP, who highly values their competency and drives themselves to meet their own high standard of excellence.
ITP children need specific feedback. General praise or criticism (such as "Good job!") mean nothing to an ITP. They need to know specifically what they did well, or specifically what they did not do well, and why. Be as specific and detailed as possible when giving feedback to an ITP child.
ITP children have a strong need for things to be logical and consistent. Accordingly, they need to have any rules or goals spelled out clearly and consistently. Rules must be consistently enforced for everyone to suit the ITP's sense of fair play.
ITP children are very interested in learning, but they get bored easily. They need to be presented with new challenges constantly in order to keep them interested and developing.
ITP children do not like being told explicitly what to do. They will do best with assignments in which they are told what the desired goal is and any rules that must be followed, and left to their own devices to achieve the goal.
ITP children work best alone. They may have problems with groups assignments, and may reject these kinds of projects by not participating much.

ITP Special Needs

Our society associates the Feeling preference (rather than Thinking) with female characteristics. ITP girls (who prefer Thinking) may be seen as unfeminine. They're likely to shun "girly" clothing and may appear distant and reserved, rather than friendly and empathetic. ITP girls should not be made to feel guilty for these traits. As they reach the teenage years, ITP girls will become more interested in social acceptance, and may seek advice at that time on how to use their Feeling function more effectively. (Except I never was able to get any good at it. Stupid Feeling Function)
ITP children do not have access to their Feeling function at a young age. That doesn't mean that they don't have feelings, it means that they don't make decisions based on subjective data. Their decisions are made entirely based on logic and objective fact. That means the the ITP values objective truth over a person's feelings in a given situation. In practice, this makes the ITP child sometimes do or say things that hurt other people's feelings. The ITP child is not naturally interested in or aware of other people's feelings, and they will need to develop this interest and skill as they grow. Parents and other caregivers can help ITP children learn how to form bonds by their own example. ITP children are very observant and will pick up on adult behaviors. They can learn how to make friends and be friends by observing how adults do this.
ITP children are typically very direct in their speech. This will sometimes cause them to say things that seem unfeeling or inappropriate for a given situation. Adults should realize that the child rarely intends to be mean, although they may say something hurtful. They are just being their honest and direct selves. They should not be made to feel guilty about this behavior. If their directness is causing a real problem, you can speak with them about it, providing real examples and explaining rationally why their behavior is causing problems. However, they are likely to continue being direct, because it goes against their nature to tailor the truth.
ITP kids need for things to be fair in order for them to be comfortable. They want rules to be enforced consistently for everyone, and will become upset over any perceived favoritism. They have a strong sense of fair play and will treat others fairly. They also expect to be treated fairly, and may become quite upset if they aren't

Wow, that was all me all the time. Crazy awesome.

EDIT: Copy and paste messed up all the colors and now I can't figure out how to fix them. Sorry.

Last edited:
I had my parents (who are a pair of S types who don't know much at all about this Jungian archetype stuff) take a look at these. They both agreed the INJ fit me best, closely followed by the EFJ, then the IFP, and lastly the ENP. Clearly, I was always a borderline INFJ / ENFJ.

(Edit: I'm retroactively borrowing the color coding system. Red is not me. Purple is somewhat me. Blue is dead on.)

INJ Traits

7. They're likely to hang back and watch before participating in a social situation
  8. They're intensely private, and don't always share their thoughts and feelings
  9. They like structure and are unsettled by chaos or unplanned events (I could usually adapt...)
  10. They prefer sports that focus on individual performance rather than team sports
  15. They're not overly concerned with grades, but they want to completely understand a subject that interests them
Potential Strengths

7. They're usually well-liked by their peers (Found this out later, assumed the opposite)
  9. Their desire to be in control of themselves makes them take responsibility for their actions
  10. They are usually confident in their ideas, and know instinctively when they are right about something
Potential Weaknesses

4. They frequently don't hear people (or at least I don't think I did this)
  5. Once they have made up their mind about something, they can be very stubborn about it
  6. They ignore details
  10. They are rather self-centered, and may be unaware of how their actions or words affect others
  12. Although they come up with ideas easily, they don't do as well implementing their ideas

EFJ Traits

1. Friendly and outgoing
2. Very sensitive and in tune with others' feelings
3. They become very upset by conflict
4. Upbeat and enthusiastic (For a kid in an abusive situation, yeah actually, I was)
5. They are perfectionists, and can be very hard on themselves
6. Enjoy people, and need a lot of interaction with others
7. Dislike being alone (unless I was doing something in my head)
8. They love to please people, and may go to great lengths for their approval
9. Big talkers
10. Show a desire to take care of others
11. They usually need a lot of physical affection
12. Enjoy being the center of attention (I didn't seek or crave it so much as just ended up being it quite often)
13. Thrive on praise, and can be crushed by criticism (only from the right person)
14. Active and energetic
15. They usually enjoy school (unless there was conflict)
16. They're independent and want to do things for themselves
17. They prefer to lead rather than follow
18. They are decisive and authoritative (though other kids tended to follow my lead and looked to my advice now that I think about it, but I never abused that 'power')

Potential Strengths

1. They have kind, sweet and open natures
2. They make friends easily, and are usually popular (as I found out later I was popular, didn't realize it at the time - self esteem issues)
3. They are structured and organized, although they may or may not be very neat (I was very neat and orderly... though I doubt I would have been if not for my ESTJ mother's insistence that I was)
4. They are usually dependable and hard working (so long as I could stay focused, and definitely in proportion to how much I thought someone was depending on me)
5. They are good at making plans and usually follow through on them (Not so much, at least with long term plans)
6. They will respect and follow rules if they are clearly defined and consistently enforced
7. They are usually well-mannered and well-behaved children, probably because they crave social approval
8. They can read other people very well, and know how to get on their good sides (instinctively, not really consciously. It took me many years to realize that people usually like me)
9. They are charming and fun

Potential Weaknesses

1. Their intense and passionate feelings make them hyper-sensitive
2. They're so interested in pleasing others that they might do things that they don't really want to do (I was really lucky to have people in my life who expected me to do the right things that were more important to me than the people who wanted me to do the wrong things)
3. They may be overly loud and exciteable (at times)
4. They want to please others so much that they will lie or exaggerate to say something that they think someone wants to hear (I was terrible about this as a kid once I realized it made people happy, but not until then)
5. Cannot take criticism at all without becoming very upset (more like hurt because it meant that someone didn't like me...I had to learn this skill)
6. Can be controlling and manipulative (Not really, other than to get my way, but I was always coming from a sincere place)
7. They may tend to make decisions too quickly, without understanding all of the facts
8. They tend to get in the middle of other people's problems (Only to try to help)
9. They need to talk a lot about their feelings in order to get them into perspective
10. They are uncomfortable with change and do not usually adapt well to new situations (with respect to anything my emotions were tied to)

Last edited:
looking through those i sounded most like the INJ

The IFP portrait 7-12 seems very little like me as a child..
Now, the ESP portrait sounds very much like me as a child...

Am I a closet ESXP?
I kind of hope so..

Get out of the closet, -- freak.

Get out of the closet, -- freak.
::glides out of closet with creepy John Lovitz-esque smile plastered on face:: Mwahahah!

In all actuality, I was probably a born extrovert but became an introvert to cope with trauma at a young age.. something like that.

I'm probably an introverted extrovert. Now I'm just saying words!!

Last edited:
Most tenants of the INJ profile sound somewhat like me as a child with only a few exceptions.

They're not overly concerned with grades, but they want to completely understand a subject that interests them

My parents never really cared about my report cards, but my grades were always important to me. Getting the occasional S without a '+' was a disappointment, and though I never put much effort into maintaining my grades, I looked forward to impressing my teachers with them. At that, 99% of my schoolwork from ages 7-12 just seemed really monotonous and oversimplified, so I wasn't really interested in much of anything that went on at school. I didn't start liking school until I started taking legitimate literature classes.

They won't put any effort into doing something that doesn't interest them

To put it simply, I was a perfectionist, and I always wanted to be the best at everything, so I'd usually put more effort into projects and the like than most of my classmates would. Although, I suppose that just means that I was interested in being the best, making my point both null and void.

All of that being said, I sure wish my fourth grade teacher would've followed this guideline:

Teachers should realize the INJ's weakness of not always being aware of their environment, and recognize that if an INJ didn't hear the teacher, it doesn't necessarily mean that they weren't listening. Sometimes the INJ's private world overtakes the INJ to the point that they completely tune out their environment. As much patience as possible should be shown with this characteristic. INJs will develop some control over this as they grow older.

I basically spent the entire year sitting in silent lunch.

Last edited:
I think I was more like the INJ child than the IFP child.

The INJ profile fits me the best for this age period. I did this for nearly all the profiles, and determined that this is indeed me as a child from 6-12 or so:

Red means it isn't me enough for me to say so, blue is sort of me, and green is totally me with no question

INJ Traits

8. They're intensely private, and don't always share their thought and feelings
  9. They like structure and are unsettled by chaos or unplanned events
Potential Strengths

7. They're usually well-liked by their peers
Potential Weaknesses

4. They frequently don't hear people
  6. They ignore details