How to debate. | INFJ Forum

How to debate.

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by AUM, Dec 3, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
More threads by AUM
  1. AUM

    AUM The Romantic Scientist

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2009
    Threads:
    132
    Messages:
    2,838
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,990
    Trophy Points:
    802
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    I think the title is self-explanatory. Basically, how would you construct the blueprints of an intellectual and healthy debate? What are the do's and don'ts of such and how should you face the situation of being involved on such debate?Are there any sort of helpful techniques that you personally use, not to necessarily win a debate, but to explain clearly your points on a particular issue to the other party that your challenging or being challenged to?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Gaze likes this.
  2. Solongo

    Solongo Well-known member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    Threads:
    36
    Messages:
    2,086
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    432
    Trophy Points:
    230
    MBTI:
    INFJ all day
    Use the Socratic Method. Lawyers and politicians use it all the time.:mhula:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tamagochi

    Tamagochi Sushi Destroyer
    Donor

    Joined:
    May 18, 2009
    Threads:
    15
    Messages:
    931
    Likes Received:
    382
    Trophy Points:
    622
    Location:
    Lithuania
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    That depends on what kind of debate are you engaged in. What is the goal of it?
    Is it a constructive debate? Political debate? Academic? Brainstorm? Venting?
     
  4. Solar Empath

    Solar Empath Community Member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Threads:
    15
    Messages:
    750
    Likes Received:
    39
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Oxymoron? :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    sumone likes this.
  5. Kavalan

    Kavalan Has risen

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2009
    Threads:
    41
    Messages:
    1,478
    Likes Received:
    328
    Trophy Points:
    637
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    1W9
    In a formal sense. Eliminate time constraints you can't fix the world in a 15 min blurb. One side says their idea. It is then cross examined. The other party then does the same. For larger deals this could be broken down into single points and alternate throughout.

    Informally just don't interrupt write it down and be civil... pretty much take what O'reilly or Oberman and do the opposite
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Billy

    Billy Contents Under Pressure
    Donor

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2009
    Threads:
    95
    Messages:
    4,826
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,250
    Trophy Points:
    381
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    CT
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    ....
    Rule number 1 for debate. Do not use your legal authority to squash dissent that disagrees with your point.
     
  7. Wyote

    Wyote Dad of the Ded
    Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2008
    Threads:
    242
    Messages:
    36,421
    Featured Threads:
    19
    Likes Received:
    195,262
    Trophy Points:
    4,271
    Gender:
    Male
    MBTI:
    Ni Space
    Enneagram:
    9 Seas
    +1
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Stu

    Stu Constipated
    Donor

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009
    Threads:
    217
    Messages:
    12,430
    Featured Threads:
    16
    Likes Received:
    12,575
    Trophy Points:
    1,761
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    .
    MBTI:
    .
    Enneagram:
    .
    ...only use it to squash dissent that agrees with you.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. TinyBubbles

    TinyBubbles anarchist

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Threads:
    245
    Messages:
    9,346
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    2,218
    Trophy Points:
    966
    MBTI:
    ^.^
    Enneagram:
    .
    keep it amicable. back up all your opinions with solid facts. don't take disagreements as personal attacks. aim to learn, not just to win, etc. etc.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Gaze

    Donor

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    Threads:
    2,384
    Messages:
    28,376
    Featured Threads:
    95
    Likes Received:
    23,437
    Trophy Points:
    1,906
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    I think the atmosphere for fair debate begins with the idea that all parties have a right to be heard and understood whether their views are acceptable or not. It also recognizes that everyone brings something to the table, different backgrounds, experiences, knowledge, skills, understanding, so it is likely unrealistic to not expect disagreement. There's also the tendency to believe that either no one is right or the issue is either black or white. Sometimes, debates becomes too focused on the persons involved than recognizing an issue cannot be simplified to it's most common denominator without willingness on some level to concede or compromise if cooperation is needed to come to decision or conclusion.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    sookie likes this.
  11. sookie

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Threads:
    109
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    71
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFX
    Use humor...Not to make fun of people. I dont think it hurts to throw in a monkey :m200: It can take the sting out of what you say. We are looking at words on a screen. If you throw in a funny picture it can diffuse some of the emotions. This helps. People will shut down if they are angry. Then the debate becomes meaningless.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    myst likes this.
  12. OP
    AUM

    AUM The Romantic Scientist

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2009
    Threads:
    132
    Messages:
    2,838
    Featured Threads:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1,990
    Trophy Points:
    802
    MBTI:
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    The problem I have using this method is that I have to be really careful in keeping a straight line of reasoning because as you're asking questions to the other party to contradict their arguments you may find yourself lost on the point your trying to convey.

    Good question. How do they differ? Given that the goal of the discussion is to defend your position against an opposing argument.

    So once you have gathered the ideas from the other party, how could you use that to advance on the debate? Do you make them defend their position first or do you start by stating that the arguments that you posses are more accurate?

    Good point. What would be the criteria for reliable sources that you can use to defend your position?

    How do you think it is the healthiest way for you to show disagreement to the other parties involved?

    I really don't try to debate online for this same reason. I can't accurately tell if someone is taking the issue to seriously to the point of frustration while doing it face-to-face is easier for you to measure if you should let the other person know to chill. That's a great suggestion though.

    Thanks everyone. These have been some helpful points thus far. :)
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #12 AUM, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  13. sassafras

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    Threads:
    173
    Messages:
    14,566
    Featured Threads:
    8
    Likes Received:
    45,409
    Trophy Points:
    2,376
    MBTI:
    .
    I think as long as you're tactful, you shouldn't have to resort to monkeys or humor or anything else to 'soften' what you say. Humor or making light of a situation in a serious debate is not recommended. Sometimes it can make you look like a jackass.

    I think what makes a successful method for presenting an argument is thus:

    1. Facts first.
    2. Your interpretation/opinion
    3. Sources (if applicable)
    4. Anticipate your opponents counter-argument
    5. Read through your post and make sure to take out any caustic jibes you might have made 'in the heat of the moment.'

    I believe that humor/insults/sarcasm make the debate too personal and it becomes more than just the exchange of factual arguments. It upgrades to out-doing the other. And I, frankly, think less of an opponent who's trying to get any sort of emotional reaction out of me (appease me/anger me). You can find plenty of that primitive psychological bullshit in a elementary school yard. Stay on level.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Solongo

    Solongo Well-known member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    Threads:
    36
    Messages:
    2,086
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    432
    Trophy Points:
    230
    MBTI:
    INFJ all day
    Probably because you are getting emotionally hijacked:m075:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Tamagochi

    Tamagochi Sushi Destroyer
    Donor

    Joined:
    May 18, 2009
    Threads:
    15
    Messages:
    931
    Likes Received:
    382
    Trophy Points:
    622
    Location:
    Lithuania
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    In most cases Socratic method works very well. It's based on asking questions so the opponent will be forced to think for herself and therefore become smarter. However there are times when you don't want for her to become smarter - when running for a post or defending a guilty client for example. The most important tips for application are these:
    • The parties should agree not to interrupt each other under no circumstances.
    • Have a fixed agenda. Preferably in a form of questions.
    • Ensure that all members of a debate would get an equal time for speaking.
    • It helps tremendously to have opening and closing circles when each party speaks in turn about the topic.

    Lately I've become interested in another style of debate based on philosophy of Martin Buber and works of Arbinger Institute. There's a logic that reality is non-contradictory therefore if two people are arguing then they can't both be right. Your opponent wants to win so you help her to do that. By doing that you automatically eliminate the emotional resistance she might have had towards you. And if it happens that she was right then you've supported the right cause. If she's wrong then using combined effort you will both quickly discover that and you will not have to waste time and effort to persuade each other.

    This style of debate works best with very difficult and emotionally charged topics: religion, gender miscommunication, ethnic problems, etc.
     
    Raccoon Love likes this.
  16. sookie

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Threads:
    109
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    71
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFX
    I actually think the opposite. I will try to remember not to do that with you. I think that we can agree to disagree.

    Things are so serious that I think using humor makes it possible for people to debate while realizing that we have to be able to talk to each other. If we cant talk to each other that creates so much more toxicity. We HAVE to be able to talk to each other for our sides to be heard.

    So I will use monkeys and you dont have to.

    We can agree to disagree.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. sookie

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Threads:
    109
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    71
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFX
    Honestly Daring Hat Trick I dont care what you think. It does not matter that you respect me less.

    I am saying this withoug rancor. I am who I am. You can like me or not. I am not going to change for someone else
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. sookie

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Threads:
    109
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    71
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFX
    We agree that we disagree.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. sookie

    On Holiday

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Threads:
    109
    Messages:
    1,202
    Likes Received:
    71
    Trophy Points:
    0
    MBTI:
    INFX
    :)

    I compromised and put it in a separate post
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. Solongo

    Solongo Well-known member

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    Threads:
    36
    Messages:
    2,086
    Featured Threads:
    1
    Likes Received:
    432
    Trophy Points:
    230
    MBTI:
    INFJ all day
    Tis true. This probably is the 90% of all debates.:m056:
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page