How old is too old? (Age gap in relationships) | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

How old is too old? (Age gap in relationships)

I think that that happens a lot less than is thought though.

and also, a lot of people assume it's for one of those reasons, when it's really not. people find it hard to accept that a younger person can love a much older one. My family don't accept or support my relationship, saying that he's just leading me on and so forth, and they're angry at me for leaving the country, but they just simply don't understand, and don't want to bother to take the time to understand our relationship, so they make all kinds of assumtions and reasons for it other than love.

I think that that happens a lot less than is thought though.

and also, a lot of people assume it's for one of those reasons, when it's really not. people find it hard to accept that a younger person can love a much older one. My family don't accept or support my relationship, saying that he's just leading me on and so forth, and they're angry at me for leaving the country, but they just simply don't understand, and don't want to bother to take the time to understand our relationship, so they make all kinds of assumtions and reasons for it other than love.

[MENTION=3230]Griffschen[/MENTION]

Do you think physical aging makes a difference? For example, won't an older partner who seems younger and more youthful be perceived differently than someone who seems older physically?

@Griffschen

Do you think physical aging makes a difference? For example, won't an older partner who seems younger and more youthful be perceived differently than someone who seems older physically?
To be honest, I think it just matters how you perceive them.

I had no real idea how old my partner was when I fell for him, and when I think back on it, it wouldn't have mattered, as long as he wasn't young enough to be a child still and thus not really capable of making a mature decision for himself like a committed relationship. I think I still would have fallen for him had I found out he was a lot older.

then again, you have to remember that physical anything has very little weight in my decision making.

Reactions: Gaze
I believe it's closer to the natural order for men to be older than their female mate by 7 to 15 years. We don't see it often in this culture because maturing has become such a regimented process that people generally don't have life experience beyond the small, atomized age brackets to which they're constrained. That makes it difficult to find equal grounding and mutual philosophies with anyone who is more than a few years older than you. This becomes even more true when one considers the customary route of education. Until one graduates from college (around age 22 to 24), the overwhelming majority of social experiences have been with peers who are probably all within 18 months of each other and they've most likely not had to function as completely autonomous, independent humans in our society. Or, in layman's terms, it's harder for older people to date younger people cause younger people don't know shit and haven't actually lived yet.

Those are generalizations, of course, but I think they hold up to a cursory analysis of most people's social experiences in the western world.

Biologically, however, the raw chemistry undeniable. I am 32 years old now and have the advantage of being able to compare my current interactions with younger women (early to mid 20's) with the interactions I had with them when I was their same age. These days, those women are far more available to me than they ever were back then. Frankly, the sex is easy at this point. I attribute this primarily to the fact that in the past ten years, I have grown up a lot, established myself in an awesome profession, traveled, read, developed emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually. I have a vision for my life in terms of where I am going and who I am / going to become. In short, I've become a man whereas before I was still a boy. Women find this really attractive by nature; they want someone who is strong and confident and stable. Men are usually just reaching this point in their 30's and women are looking to connect with it by the time they are in their 20's. Unfortunately, a lot of young women are still very immature to me despite being attractive and making themselves available. So while the chemistry exists, there is the social hindrance I mentioned in my first paragraph.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaze
He did that when drunk the other day

It was..... beautiful

*wells up*

We should periodically remind him of this lest it be forgot

lol :)

I do not date men my age or younger. I have not been lucky enough to meet a guy my age who is mature enough to have a solid relationship. I prefer to date older, between 5-10 years older. I might even be persuaded to go older than that. It just depends on the guy and how well we click.... .

Hmmm There are some aspects to consider with an older man. 1. first, the mental 2. second, the physical.
There is 18 years between me and my sweetheart. There is life that he has lived...and I was a baby at the time... we joke sometimes about when I started walking he was in a war