How much of our nature is changeable by our own hand? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How much of our nature is changeable by our own hand?

I think a distinction needs to be made here:

it is easy to change one's ideas, opinions, beliefs, etc.

It may also be possible to overcome irrational fears - or perhaps even irrational dreams/hopes/desires quickly.

However, deep-down-personality has a very great inertia because it is not irrational, or dysfunctional. No one can claim that any one of the MBTI types is dysfunctional. These preferences and other such deep-set preferences, which form individual character cannot be changed by shallow decisions of whim, or ideological descisions of 'what's best/better' etc.

Find someone who from infancy was introverted and who in adult years became extroverted in a healthy (stress-free) way - and you have found someone exceptionally rare. Conversely, find someone who has been extroverted since infancy - and who in adult years does not feel deprived by prolonged solitude - and again you will have found a very rare individual.

Most of the time I don't feel like I can change, like I'm just running in place all the time. I'm a classic self-fulfilling prophecy.

The deeper parts of our persona take deep emotional events to cause a change, it's more then just habit, it needs meaning.

The two greatest causes for change that I have noted are survival and love. The greatest changes in deep personas in my experience stem from these, if we are to make these kind of changes for ourselves then we need to find a way to motivate ourselves by equally powerful emotions.