How Hebrew words are translated for the Bible | INFJ Forum

How Hebrew words are translated for the Bible

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Kmal, Jan 24, 2012.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
More threads by Kmal
  1. Kmal

Kmal Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w8 sx/sp
    Before answering, if you'd like to read moar! http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/27_faith.html
    This in mind, does this change how you are viewing the (figurative) good vs evil battle at the; end of the world' as depicted in the Bible? Does this change anything for you? It probably implies sin is what facilitates dysfunctionality.
    Another great one

and

What do you guys think?

#1 Kmal, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    La Croix Mystique likes this.
  2. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    Unrelated: For some reason I thought you were a female.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jill Hives likes this.
  3. GracieRuth

GracieRuth Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Personally, I think if you have a question regarding Hebrew, go to a rabbi. I wouldn't trust an internet site to give me a straight answer. The site you refer to (ancient-hebrew.org) uses second hand sources such as Strong's Exhaustive concordance, which we know contains a lot of errors.

For example, "olam" simply means world. It can mean a future world, as in the world to come, "Ha-Olam Haba," or it can refer to the present world, as in the repair of the world, "Tikkun Olam."

I also question the statement regarding Chai (life).
    Notice that the word Chai is not used.

As to the ra and tov, context is important. Normally HaRa means the evil and HaTov means the good. However, we have stories such as when the Rabbi prayed for our Yetzer Hara (evil inclination) to be removed, and suddenly there were no babies, no flowers, nothing indicating procreation of any sort. The story underscores that even our Yetzer Hara has its function.

Hebrew is NOT an easy language. It is built around root words, but while the root may shape the meaning of a word, it doesn't absolutely determine in. Please go to a reputable site or person. There is a website www.askmoses.com where you can chat live with a rabbi or scholar (except on shabbat).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 GracieRuth, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  4. Skarekrow

Skarekrow ~~DEVIL~~

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    Ni-INFJ-A
    Enneagram:
    Warlock
    I wrote a paper on "Why there is no Hell" in college....it was about how the word "Hell" actually was never in the bible to begin with and the origional words "Hades" "Gehenna" "Tartaros" "Sheol" didn't even come close to the evangelical or Dantesque version of Hell....in fact the word "Hell" comes from the Norse word "Hel" who was a female goddess ruler of the underworld...in medieval times the word "Hell" taken from this Goddess was a hole in the ground to store potatoes and things for the summer....
    It wasn't until these words that all mean significantly different things were combined into one word that the meaning was changed and lost....

hithere likes this.
  5. GracieRuth

GracieRuth Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    The oldest Hebrew world for the afterlife is Sheol. It simply means the abode of the dead. During our captivity in Babylon, we adopted the idea of a kind of after=life school where remaining evil could be purged from us, and we called this concept Gehinnom (and it loosely translates as Purgatory). No where does Judaism teach an eternal torment -- rather the damned are simply destroyed, unmade.

invisible likes this.
  6. origamipuzzleboxes

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Judaism lacks the concept of original sin. And doesn't focus on what comes after, but instead on doing good while here (not because of rewards in the afterlife but because it is good).

Olam literally just means world. Though tikkun olam - repair the world - does bring up really fascinating debates as to whether that means religiously or by the simple concept leave it better than you found it.

Pirkei Avot is a very good book of the Talmud to read on the concept of goodness, the world, and mitzvot.

7. Gnostic Christian

Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    thinking
    Indeed. They plagiarized the older and wiser Egyptian Book of the Dead.

The Gnostic Christian type of purity in life came out of their esoteric mystical views and we stuck with it.

I don't know if you will agree, but the older the tradition, the better it seems to be.

Judaism was not all that bad, but Christianity usurped it and corrupted it, then Islam took Christianity, plagiarized and corrupted it even further.

To the point where now secular forces have to protect itself from the god religions and institute laïcité to smarten the god religions and their immoral homophobic, misogynous and fascist ways up.

Regards
    DL

8. Gnostic Christian

Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    thinking
    As an aside. Judaism has an Original Virtue concept for Eden.

You might wonder why Christianity did a full reverse on this while at the same time screwing up their Original Sin concept by singing that Adam's sin was a happy fault and necessary to Yahweh's plan.

It sounds stupid but it is true. It must be because every Christian whom I ask to explain this contradiction runs away.

Regards
    DL

9. hithere

hithere Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    It's said that with Hebrew words, or Lashon Kodesh (the holy tongue), the actual root of the word shows the essence of the word. An example I can remember hearing a while ago - Davar means thing and has the root of Dalet, Bet and Resh. The word speak has the same root. Why? When you speak you are taking energy and materializing it in a way. I don't know if I am remembering correctly but it was something like that.
    Another example the word give is Nasan - Nun Tav Nun. It's a palindrome - reads the same forwards and backwards - to signify that as a giver you are actually receiving in a way. The good feeling etc. that comes along with giving.
    The word Ahava (love) has the root of Hei and Bet which means to give as love develops once you give of yourself to another.

There's so much more. I would post when/ if I remember more.

PapillonT likes this.
  10. ruji

ruji Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    WHO ARE YOU

PapillonT likes this.
  11. hithere

hithere Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Who are you?

PapillonT likes this.
  12. Hostarius

Hostarius Gimme that WOAD

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2
    I have the same question.

I'm suspicious as fuck.

PapillonT and ruji like this.
  13. hithere

hithere Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    I'm a 28 year old Jewish women. Is that a problem? What are you suspicious of?

PapillonT and Hostarius like this.
  14. Hostarius

Hostarius Gimme that WOAD

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ
    Enneagram:
    1w2
    No not a problem at all.

You kind of exploded onto the forum here without introduction, making these intricate yet assertive posts, so naturally people become curious.

In my case I'm a tad suspicious of people with your writing pattern and temperament potentially being sock puppets for my ex, so nothing you need to be worried about really.

PapillonT and ruji like this.
  15. ruji

ruji Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    oh God

16. hithere

hithere Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Ok. It's a problem :).

17. ruji

ruji Well-known member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    You should think positively of yourself

18. hithere

hithere Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    In reply to Gracie Ruth's earlier post - can't seem to quote it:

There is a concept of a maximum one year "purging" which basically means your soul gets restored through a process your soul may find uncomfortable (and deeply painful - but I don't beleive it can be understood in physical terms) but necessary. I believe I've heard only people who caused fundemental damage to their actual souls (which is harder to do than you might think) need to get "unmade".

Additionally, it's said that ultimately every soul will be in a circle around G-d's presence (whatever that means) equidistant from Him. It's just a question of how long it will take you to get there, what type of pain you will subject yourself to with wrong choices and having to be redirected.

PapillonT likes this.
  19. hithere

hithere Community Member

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    Yehudi - the Hebrew word for Jew - comes from the root to acknowledge. Why? Because a Jew should live in acknowledgement of the fact that there is a Creatorand all that it entails.
    Ivri - (Hebrew) comes from the root across from/ on the other side, as Abraham figuratively stood on the other side of the popular philosophies and beliefs of his time.
    Vayeda - Means to know. It also is used for intimacy since genuine intimacy is truly knowing another.

20. just me

just me GONE

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    Can you show in Hebrew that was used in the Bible and Torah, then with the translations from then? That is how I studied the Greek: with Lexicons and interlinear translations. It would be interesting for me.

PapillonT and hithere like this.