How does culture affect communication? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

How does culture affect communication?

Hmmm ...

I tend to say "sorry" a lot like a stereotypical Canadian. As for growing up with Asian parents, maybe I rely more on context when communicating - I noticed when growing up in school, my friends often told me that I was really vague when communicating what I wanted ...

Reactions: Jexocuha and Gaze
As a French person, I've definitely had to adapt to the places where I've lived. In Ireland, people are much more modest, and reserved about expressing feeling. In Switzerland - same thing. Banter is constant in Ireland, occasional in France, and rare in Switzerland. Swiss people are always on time, French people sometimes, Irish people never. Certain linguistic formulations taken from the French but then translated into English may sometimes appear rude, because a French person won't understand all the subtleties involved in speaking a language they weren't "born in". I find that French people are too outwardly proud, that Swiss people are too inwardly proud, and that Irish people aren't proud enough, i.e. often think they're not good enough.

These are probably huge generalisations but it was just to give an insight from my life experience :)

Despite not having much experience in that regard, I have learnt that adaptation is key in some countries. If I were German-friendly in England, they would mostly still perceive me as rude. Obviously there is also a difference between city and country. Metropolitans are more understanding of a cooler treatment than countrymen. But everyone is suspicious of strangers.

The way you speak the native language is another point. When they notice that you aren't a native speaker, they treat you differently, no matter which nation. They secretly make fun of you and/or are more lenient with social fauxpax.