How do you deal with failure? | INFJ Forum

How do you deal with failure?

#@&5&49

Mar 4, 2012
MBTI
Inf?
Failure is an interesting thing. I'm not sure I even like the word "failure". It implies that people or something is "less than" in some way. Is there another word that can be used in place of "failure"? As much as failure can hurt sometimes it's a necessary part of life. I think in order to experience failure you have to take risks, small or large, and risks are important for growth. There are times when I don't handle failure especially well, nothing I would want to write home about anyway, and other times when I can take it in stride. My ability to get back up depends on how resilient I'm feeling at the time, my support system, and what it is and how I feel about what I was attempting. Often what we view as failure is actually an opportunity, not always easy to see at the time though. There are all types of failures personal and professional. How do you view failure? How do you handle it? Do you take risks that involve the possibility of failure or do you like to play it safe? What are your thoughts? Any words of wisdom?

I think it's healthy to fail. Kids who never fail often grow up to be adults who lack resilience. Also, people learn from failing. If you haven't failed at anything lately you should probably be challenging yourself more.

Reactions: apemon
failure is a great teacher ( if you allow it to be ) . it teaches you how to make things right , how to be flexible and open-minded , it teaches you how to be patient , how to deal with it how to be a successful person , yet wise , it makes your will invincible .

when i look back and see what i learnt from my life the most , i see me doing mistakes , learning from them then correcting them .

thank you , good thread =)

By trying to avoid failure I got nowhere and my life nearly imploded.

So now I either succeed tremendously or fail spectacularly. If I don't leave a crater when I crash, that means I didn't try.

Not that I'm a big crazy risk taker or anything, it's just that if I see fit to do something, I don't hold back.

I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate. ~ George Burns

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill

Cry sulk obsess obsess obsess get angry scream sulk try harder or try something else.
In that order

Reactions: the
Failure is an interesting thing. I'm not sure I even like the word "failure". It implies that people or something is "less than" in some way. Is there another word that can be used in place of "failure"? As much as failure can hurt sometimes it's a necessary part of life. I think in order to experience failure you have to take risks, small or large, and risks are important for growth. There are times when I don't handle failure especially well, nothing I would want to write home about anyway, and other times when I can take it in stride. My ability to get back up depends on how resilient I'm feeling at the time, my support system, and what it is and how I feel about what I was attempting. Often what we view as failure is actually an opportunity, not always easy to see at the time though. There are all types of failures personal and professional. How do you view failure? How do you handle it? Do you take risks that involve the possibility of failure or do you like to play it safe? What are your thoughts? Any words of wisdom?

It is important to distinguish between failure, as in judgement of character, which is what I think you are getting at the with the implication of "less than"; and an act or instance of failing or proving unsuccessful; lack of success.

Failing makes me angry. It makes me want to get back up on the horse and try again. I like winning and I refuse to be beat. Sometimes I do feel down about it though. Usually if I'm too tired to be angry.

I used to be better. These days I get really sad and I hide, then again I don't get the opportunity to try much and when I do I'm going into a losing battle, so.

Reactions: #@&5&49
Quote 17.png
Failure is an interesting thing. I'm not sure I even like the word "failure". Is there another word that can be used in place of "failure"?
Interestingly, I've been thinking a lot about this topic lately too... I'd like to replace the word with "delay" or even "journey" better. This depends on whether your perception of life is not a competition, comparing not unto others, but only to yourself day-by-day. I am personally setting myself up for failure again after finding myself back onto the road of, uh, 'stability'/'success'.

Often what we view as failure is actually an opportunity, not always easy to see at the time though.
True. When one door closes, often another one opens.

There are all types of failures personal and professional. How do you handle it? Do you take risks that involve the possibility of failure or do you like to play it safe? What are your thoughts? Any words of wisdom?

I don't handle failure very well, it frustrates me, but I think it is very important to get out of your comfort zone every now and then... the world is ever changing and if you want to contribute to it in a good way, you must grow with it.

That's where courage comes in. However...

Quote 20.jpg

I say just take it.

There's no need to change the word because at that point you're actually giving the detracting interpretation the time of day.

Most of the time failure is only a thing because people make something of it. They're like a bird in a cage and when you open the door they refuse to leave because it's unsafe and scary out in the world. Give people real options and they clutch, since a lot of times they cannot comprehend what being free is.

When you're free though, you are free to change direction whenever. A failure does not have to be bad even when you call it a failure. Just think about it - much of the time it is actually nothing that you don't make it into.

I mean yeah, when lives or lots of other people's money are at stake, be safe. But if you're just writing a song or telling a joke, or painting, or just socially interacting in general, failure is literally meaningless unless you make it otherwise.

Just pick it up and go. That's it.

My dad has a saying to the effect of "no experience is wasted", and I agree with that. In fact failure is more valuable as an experience than success, because it unearths your ignorance, while success merely confirms your knowledge.

How I personally deal with it? Deny it, get angry, get depressed, finally accept it. It's a kind of grief, and I go through the appropriate stages.

I have a complex relationship with failure. On the one hand I see it as important, I know nothing is gained without failure. The greatest scientists and inventors had to fail in order to learn. There's little point to life if you just succeed.

Logically I know this, yet still I have difficulty in making risks and embracing failure.

You know, I've been learning some new skills lately, just over the past two years. And I was literally just thinking to myself the other day "Wow, every single time I've tried to do _(new skill)_ I've screwed something up."

I mean Every. Last. Freaking. Time. I've messed up, sometimes embarrassingly. Occasionally publicly.

But the thing that is actually really awesome about that seemingly awful situation, is that I am ten zillion times better at _(new skill)_ than I was the first time I tried it, and am actively getting better. It's quite fun, actually, if you get over the embarrassment, and try to deal with inevitable mistakes with some poise and honesty. For instance: don't try to lie about it, or sugarcoat things, but on the other hand, for heaven's sake don't freak your shit when something relatively minor goes wrong, or make a mountain out of a molehill, that is no way to deal with problems when they occur, and they will.

Failure is not universal and rarely fatal unless you are learning brain surgery, which, thankfully, I am not. Take risks! If you're too much in your comfort zone all the time you'll never grow!

Obsessively study the flaws that created the failure.

I don't do failure very well. I tend to beat the crap out of myself, figuratively of course, and sulk, and depress, and hate the world.

How big a failure is to you, is only a measure of how over-attached you had become to a particular outcome.

Of course it is important to have goals - but they are only ever only a part of one's life. ie. Goals should serve you and your life, not the other way around.

Reactions: apemon and Bird
Lots of food for thought. Thanks for all the perspectives. As always, I appreciate them.

Exceptionally well or tremendously badly. Just depends on how much hope I'd invested into something.

Binge and purge.