Homosexual relations, natural or not? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Homosexual relations, natural or not?

As I said, I don't feel anger for people who hold misconceptions of homosexuality, only pity.
As I said, I have no choice in the matter.

I wish to edit this and add text being left out by those not reading this in its entirety.
Firstly, I had considered the debate over when I saw the word "Split".
Second, I must add I have no choice in the matter Satya shows pity for people like me with his so-called misconceptions. Therefore, I said I would rather have his pity
than for him to raise me. I would rather have his pity than for him to raise me. I have no choice as to the way Satya views me. That is his choice not mine.

Last edited:
I would much rather be pitied by you, Satya, than to be brought up by you.

Strange, I would never want to be pitied by anyone.

The feelings we have are etched in stone.
I disagree profoundly. Feelings can and do change if you are willing to let them.

I will not look at your movies; you, most likely the same with my songs.
I'm not closed minded. I read and watch everything people post.

You pity me and I feel sorry for you.
I can't imagine why you feel sorry for me. I have great friends, a lot of love in my heart for this world, and a great appreciation for who I am as a person.

Further discussions regarding this will not lead anywhere regarding the differences in the ways we see things.
I've pointed out exactly why we see things differently, but some people close their minds off to that which scares them.

Thank you for showing back up, VH.
I, too, can understand how someone with these types of problems would hate Christianity. Satya calls mine misconceptions; I call his problems.
It is typical that people who have misconceptions will see problems that don't exist.

Where do we go? If everyone were homosexual, there would be nobody in a few generations to discuss these things.
If everyone was a Catholic priest, then there would be no future generations either. What is your point?

Fascinating. You argue that homosexuals have choice in how they live and feel, but then you argue that you don't have choice in how you live and feel.

Yes you do have a choice.
And you have chosen what you want. Noone should judge. As long as you dont become a liability in social progress. You can hate anyone you want. And anyone can hate you for what you are as well.

And I would like to state that even If you insult someone politely, you still insult them. That goes to both Satya and Just Me. There can be no mediation this way.

Last edited:
This is a difficult discussion (mediation?) for me. Mostly because I am a fully practicing Christian, but I also have issues with the common Western Church. I feel there should be more grace given - and more love practiced - than I see from "normal" Western Christians, and it frustrates me when I see Christians doing and saying non-edifying things in the name of Christ. Yes, there are difficult passages in Scripture. But what were the reasons for the passages? Some passages were given to prevent diseases, some passages were given for a time (and then Jesus' resurrection liberated us from many Old Testament mandates), and some passages were provided to help people balance their human passions and emotions while embracing the love of an Almighty God.

Possible TMI: My Father was a homosexual - but the negatives we had in our relationship had nothing to do with his sexual orientation; it had everything to do with his own frustrating self-loathing and perfectionism. There are also non-practicing and celibate people of various sexual orientations, but God's law is about staying sexually pure, period (which has nothing to do with sexual orientation). We are all sexual creatures, but I must judge my actions in the light of God's grace, and I must ask myself is it better to be right, or is it better to have the relationship and let God be God?

Satya, I do have to say that I've personally ignored many conversations that made me feel unhappy and yes, even irritated. I think the Church as a whole has hurt you and for that I apologize. I'm very sorry - it wasn't fair, it wasn't right, and so many have been treated as less than human because of "well-meaning" Christians. And for that I deeply apologize on behalf of Christians and Christianity.

But on the same side of the fence, it hurts me when people choose to go after or attack a group of people because a sect within that group acts foolish and stupid. I do not have anger against all Muslims in the wake of 911 because I don't know all Muslims. I can hate the acts of a few, but it would be foolish of me to be prejudiced against an entire group just because of the acts of a few. I can't convince anyone to feel one way or another, and that's not my intention. But I will say balance is the key. Without it, we can't be the objective people we are.

Pax. :hippie:

Last edited:
But on the same side of the fence, it hurts me when people choose to go after or attack a group of people because a sect within that group acts foolish and stupid. I do not have anger against all Muslims in the wake of 911 because I don't know all Muslims. I can hate the acts of a few, but it would be foolish of me to be prejudiced against an entire group just because of the acts of a few. I can't convince anyone to feel one way or another, and that's not my intention. But I will say balance is the key. Without it, we can't be the objective people we are.

Hm...you are very right that it is wrong of me to judge all of Christianity by the words and actions of the bigoted and ignorant who practice the religion. I look forward to a day when people aren't judged by their sexual orientation, but by the content of their character. But if I can't judge people solely by the content of their character, and I allow myself to become bitter toward Christianity as a whole, then I'm not any better than the homophobes who use Christianity as their justification for their ignorance. I also admit that I am going to need to grow up and realize I can't make people love me for who I am. The best I can do is learn to love my fellow man and forgive him when he is ignorant. And I acknowledge I can't truly do anything for just me at this point, because nothing I could do would help him at this point in his life. Some people just never learned to think intensively and critically, and I often blame scripture for that, but really it's just the lacking of a decent education. I'm going to need to stop being reactionary to ignorance, because whatever emotional gratification I get out of doing so, is replaced by that overwhelming sense of futility and regret. And I am aware that people like just me have the best of intentions at heart and just believe in doing what they feel is right.

However, I will never be ashamed of directly challenging ignorance. I will not bend my back so people can oppress me. And I will bring prejudice to the surface. I can forgive people for being ignorant, but I will never, ever forgive their ignorance because it is a threat to everyone, including themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: arbygil
*Hugs*! :m035:

I think you should be yourself. Don't feel you have to hold back in your challenges! But you're not alone; we all have to learn how to temper our emotions with truth and knowledge (which is tough for INFJs, I think!).

I can seriously lose my temper when it comes to talking to a prejudicial person who believes "All Blacks are X"...but I've learned that I'm not always going to change someone's mind. It has a lot to do with ignorance - and the only way I might help another person change is to help them see me as a gateway to the truth. It takes a LOT of patience to do that, and sometimes it asks more of me than (I think) I can handle. But if the end result is that all too coveted, "AHA!" moment, and the light bulb of understanding goes off in the other person's brain, then the pain I endured from the conversation simply disappears. It's like enduring childbirth and seeing the baby for the first time, and forgetting the birthing pains (not that I've ever been pregnant, but I hear that's what it's like).

Hm...you are very right that it is wrong of me to judge all of Christianity by the words and actions of the bigoted and ignorant who practice the religion. I look forward to a day when people aren't judged by their sexual orientation, but by the content of their character. But if I can't judge people solely by the content of their character, and I allow myself to become bitter toward Christianity as a whole, then I'm not any better than the homophobes who use Christianity as their justification for their ignorance. I also admit that I am going to need to grow up and realize I can't make people love me for who I am. The best I can do is learn to love my fellow man and forgive him when he is ignorant. And I acknowledge I can't truly do anything for just me at this point, because nothing I could do would help him at this point in his life. Some people just never learned to think intensively and critically, and I often blame scripture for that, but really it's just the lacking of a decent education. I'm going to need to stop being reactionary to ignorance, because whatever emotional gratification I get out of doing so, is replaced by that overwhelming sense of futility and regret. And I am aware that people like just me have the best of intentions at heart and just believe in doing what they feel is right.

However, I will never be ashamed of directly challenging ignorance. I will not bend my back so people can oppress me. And I will bring prejudice to the surface. I can forgive people for being ignorant, but I will never, ever forgive their ignorance because it is a threat to everyone, including themselves.

These are great sentiments. I think this approach will make you a better debater as well. I have found that a dispassionate reason, inspired with rhetoric but not led by passion, is far more persuasive than other styles.

Truth is truth, it doesn't need defenders. It's the people who constantly need to defend their position with whom there is always suspicion with their basic point.

I get very emotional when it comes to religious fundamentalism as well, which is why I stay out of these debates (or the evolution debates, etc). It's just so personal and loaded and oftentimes filled with too much energy. Patience is a tough thing and I don't have much of it at times. But with ignorance, I think the best approach is always a loving patience. Ignorance is a giant mountain; and with mountains, it is always the slow but patient glacier, and not the fierce hurricane, which is capable of causing the most changes.

In terms of the actual topic itself, I don't see how there's any room for debate if you value individual liberty. Liberty means people are entitled to do what they want, with whom they want, so long as relationships are consensual. Liberty is always expanding, always growing; we, too, as individuals, are always expanding the frontiers of our freedom when we challenge our own assumptions and fears. I just don't see how in a free society any type of consensual relationship would ever be forbidden. What is "natural" and "wrong" differs from person to person. It's silly to judge when we are imperfect people as well.

Matthew 7:

1 “Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2 “For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 “Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? 5 “You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.

THere are people who believe there are limits to liberty, and who want to enforce only certain types of relationships in human society at the expense of others. The justifications for those limitations I have never found to be persuasive and while I am open to the possiblity that I may be convinced, I have found that more often than not those justifications are based purely on individual sentiment, or possibly an appeal to tradition. The rule of individual sentiment is a rule of whim, while an appeal to tradition precludes social progress.

If people want to limit consensual relationships, they should be prepared to explain why they feel liberty should be restrained. We restrain liberty in certain circumstances when there is some clear and present danger of harm -- for example with civil committments; or to further the goals of "punishment' as with jails (I have serious issues with punishments and jails, but that's another topic). But there has to be some reason why liberty is restrained. "It's wrong and unnatural" is not a reason, but a reaction. We have laws and a constitution because we recognize that reactions cannot guide social policy. Reactions are what lead to holocausts and genocides.

Last edited:
I believe love does not know color or gender.

Love is Love

Is it really that hard to believe that some people are born straight and some gay?

For me? Yes. I don't believe anyone is born with any sexual orientation, straight or otherwise. I believe sexual orientation is as much biology as it is environment, and as much a choice as a compulsion. Does this change the nature of anyone's sexual orientation? No. Does my opinion make me right or wrong about how this works? No. Is trying to talk someone out of or into a sexual orientation going to work? No. Is any amount of data or feeling on the subject going to change the way things are? No.

And who the hell is to judge who is practicing their religion "correctly"? You? Our president? Book written by many scribes? Spock?

As an ordained minister with a PhD in theology, I am qualified to judge whether or not someone is practicing their religion correctly when it is my own. Again, this does not make me right, just qualified. If someone who claims to practice Christianity treats a person badly for reasons such as their sexual orientation, then in my qualified opinion they are doing it wrong. Others are fully capable of disagreeing with me. Obviously. When anyone makes a statement of quality, it is their opinion.

This is mine on the subject: People should love one another. Only God knows what is right or wrong for any of us, and for anyone to presume to know is foolish, and most importantly not our place. God loves us unconditionally and his relationship with each of us is unique. What he asks of each of us is based on his love for us as individuals. The only thing that God has asked all us to do is love one another regardless, and in many cases because, of our differences. This keeps us out of the way when God choses to show his love for each of us differently, tailored to our individual needs.

I can talk about scriptures as well, hows this one in relation to love?

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

Stoning him with stones, that he die... for disobeying parents; that's classic.

That's also Old Testament, and based on Levitican law. We could debate for days about the validity of Old Testament scripture after the New Testament covenant. Theologians have been doing so for years. In my opinion, anything in the Old Testament that conflicts with the New Testament was invalidated by it.

Here are a few scriptures that support my stance that things changed with the New Testament...

John 13: 34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Mark 12:28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"
29"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] 30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'[b] 31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[c]There is no commandment greater than these."
1 Corinthians 13

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love is the most important rule which supersedes all previous rules, and love is defined as loving others as yourself, and further defined as being kind, keeping no record of 'wrongs', and always protects.

It's true, it's nice to relate to others on deeply thought ideas but it's also refreshing to gain new ideas and perspectives.

However I couldn't imagine living a life where I never discuss differences. To me that would be a life without color and excitement. I want differences I want intelligence debates, I want to be proven wrong, I want to see my downfalls. How else will I grow, certainly not purely by universal conformity.

I agree that growth can only come from some degree of change, and that growth is always a good thing.

However, at a certain point a healthy debate can become an intractable argument. When neither side is willing to accept the others' viewpoint, and especially their feelings, such a situation will only degenerate. Discussing differences is a wonderful thing. Bickering about them is not. It certainly looked as if that's where this was headed. That is why I intervened as I did. I wanted to prevent a long thread filled with unyielding hostility, hurt feelings, and bolstered prejudices, which appear to be of no help to either side.

I don't much care whether it is the natural order of things. Human beings will do what they do, despite nature.

I can suck down my cocktail of drugs and they can have sex with whomever they want(So long as the other party is consenting). Why give a shit in the first place? We need population control anyways.

And, no, I'm not trying very hard on this argument. I don't feel much need to.

VH, I knew there was something about your spirit I liked. I am turning the other cheek presently as an ignorant person (per someone else's eyes).
I thing it best for esprit de corps.....

The one thing we need to remember: many gay people don't like their position. It's not a conscious choice on their part. Sure, I think people can consciously choose to be attracted to a different sex, but that's different; usually, there is still a subconscious preference in either sense.

My best friend is bisexual, and my other gay, and I know many others...I know the difference between a conscious choice to be attracted to a certain sex versus a natural attraction.

I admit VH you have me intrigued in spite of myself.

You said that one of the current theologian debates is whether or not the contradictive elements between the Old Testament and the New were superceded by the Covenent.

Is that part of the reason that Christianity has branched off into so many different ways?

What else has contributed to the massive theological splits across the breadth of the religion?

It is natural in some cases, unnatural in others. Doesnt make it right or wrong.

I admit VH you have me intrigued in spite of myself.

You said that one of the current theologian debates is whether or not the contradictive elements between the Old Testament and the New were superceded by the Covenent.

Is that part of the reason that Christianity has branched off into so many different ways?

One of them for certain.

What else has contributed to the massive theological splits across the breadth of the religion?

Very simply, free will.

Free will has an amazing ability to pull us away from the simplicity that is God's unconditional love for all of us exactly as we are with no restrictions or exceptions. God wants the best for us because he loves us, but unconditional love requires that he gives us is free will to choose what we wish.

Free will allows us to choose all of the wonderful things that God has to offer us, but it also allows us to embrace our egos and make foolish decisions. Free will also allows us to presume that we know better than a God who created a universe full of galaxies further than the greatest telescope man can invent can see. (I still find that ironic. The best that we can create can't see the extent of what God has already created.)

Religion is essentially man's attempt to put God in a box, and when we realize he won't fit, we try to change the box so that he can, and when that one won't fit, we try again and again. God just smiles and loves unconditionally us as we do. He knows how flawed we are and loves us because of it. God is greater than man, and therefore greater than the religion that man creates. Best of all, he knows this and doesn't love us any less of us because of it. No book, doctrine, or theology created by man will ever change God, but that doesn't stop us from trying, hehe.

Strange, I would never want to be pitied by anyone.

I disagree profoundly. Feelings can and do change if you are willing to let them.

I'm not closed minded. I read and watch everything people post.

I can't imagine why you feel sorry for me. I have great friends, a lot of love in my heart for this world, and a great appreciation for who I am as a person.

I've pointed out exactly why we see things differently, but some people close their minds off to that which scares them.

It is typical that people who have misconceptions will see problems that don't exist.

If everyone was a Catholic priest, then there would be no future generations either. What is your point?

This is but a response to these statements to clear up any "misconceptions" regarding my feelings.
The word "rather" is a word easily understood by those who try.
First example: "May I go to the movies tonight with my friends?" A simple question to most teenagers expecting it be alright to go by their Mom or Dad they would be asking. "I would rather you didn't go tonight." A simple reply that states the parent's stance regarding the matter. Often this will lead to another question. This could be a simple "Why not". The simple answer could be something like "because it is a week night and you have school tomorrow. I haven't seen you do any homework, and your room is a mess. Ask me again over the weekend and maybe then I will let you go if your room is cleaned first."
Second example: "Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy." It gets into an explanation afterwards, but I do not feel the need to copy all that here. I stated "rather" clearly with no obvious way to me anyone could have any misconceptions of what I meant when I said," I would rather be pitied by Satya(who personally, in earlier words, basically stated he pitied people like me; thus, inferring he pitied me), than to be raised by Satya. This is not a personal attack on Satya, but a basic generalization based on what he said to show how I felt. The word "rather"
is easily understood by most to be somewhat of a comparative word. If I stated I would rather jump out of a two story building than stay in it and burn to death in a fire, one should not have the misconception I like jumping out of two story windows. I personally have a hard time believing someone here cannot understand the difference in this comparison being used. Please do not infer, out of context, that I would want to be pitied by anyone. It just is not true. Looking at what I said that way is a misconception.
I also would like to clarify I was incorrect in saying "our feelings are etched in stone". What I could have said much better and did not because I felt the conversation was more personal at the time (between myself and Satya) would be more on the lines of " Satya, I am not going to change my stance regarding my feelings on this matter. My feelings regarding this matter are grounded and rooted and will not change. Over the years I know my true feelings regarding this matter to be unmoveable and for the best interests of my self. Therefore, my feelings regarding this matter are etched in stone. I made an observation regarding Satya that his feelings regarding this issue are also etched in stone. I do not feel it a misconception.
Hence, "our feelings are etched in stone", in the context I used it in, should not be misconceived.
As for your statement that you are not close-minded and read or watch everything people post, I find that most likely to be true. You did try to use reason regarding that about my not watching a video you placed onto the thread as reason for your not watching or reading what I placed on the thread in another thread somewhere. I will not look at certain things. I am honest about it and also do not feel it anyone's right to question that. Maybe that is why you stated you pity people like me; which, in effect, states you pity me. The fact you pity me is my grounds for feeling sorry for you. I, like you, am surrounded by family and have friends. I have pets that love me and I love them, though I certainly would not want to love them in any unnatural way. I help care for my parents daily and my wife. I get blessed every day by doing so. I try and do what I can to help take care of them. The need is there and I have made myself available to do so. They come first in my life before that of myself. You can with my blessings contribute my Christian upbringing to that should you want to blame something in my life on Christianity. I feel I am doing what any good son or husband should do.
I sometimes question your pity for me. Why? I really cannot understand it. Sometimes when questioning it, it almost makes me feel as if you are merely trying to get me to lose my self-control and become either angry or maybe just throw my hands up and leave. If you were or even are expecting anger or loss of self-control from me, you did not get that; you will not get that; you shall not have that. You can blame my Christianity for that, too, should you like.
I have noticed over the years some people that have problems lash out at others to try and make themselves feel better or less miserable. I hope this is not the case with you. Puny remarks made to lash out against someone else's feelings and emotions to hide one's misconceptions is like unto a wounded dog. One may try to help a dog that has been hit by a car, only to be bitten by the same dog that would never naturally bite anyone.
"Closing one's mind off to that which scares them" is another puny remark regarding our conversation. It implies I am scared. I am rather seasoned than scared. I am like unto a piece of driftwood weathered by the sun and the waters; greyish in coloration, much of the outer shell gone with time. Someone to make such a statement, if it was aimed at me, reminds me of a new board that has fallen off a ship and has not even found its way to its final resting place; tossed about to and fro in the waters and the weather where I have once been long ago. Yes; I was there once.
Your inane way of using the word "misconceptions" is not an attack, but rather a shield for your own beliefs to make them sound alright to you. I do not take that word as being used offensively; maybe more defensively. I take no ill feelings toward your use of it and we therefore have nothing to discuss about it. I try to refrain from using words I could use regarding your stance; such as "misguided" and the likes. I see no profit in it when attempting to find truth. It only serves the user.
In an attempt to state the fact complete homosexuality in the world would have mankind or humankind end in a few generations, basically because they cannot procreate and indeed they are not made to, as it is unnatural: you threw a smokescreen at me with the use of a Catholic Priest. Most of these guys are celibate, and that was chosen to be not talked about regarding abstinance because of its religious connotations, and it has nothing to do with whatsoever homosexuality. My statement is easy enough for those without misconceptions
( may I use the word, too) to understand. Maybe I should elaborate. If all men were to have sex with just men(if you want to call it sex), and all women were to just have sex with women(if you want to call it sex), there would be no children. How difficult is that to understand?
Catholic Priests are far from the only people that have practiced celibacy in part of their life in an attempt to further understand things. Fasting is another way to seek wisdom from above. There are many ways. I feel certain enough priests would marry and have children should all men be Catholic Priests. That smokescreen was an attempt to make one look away from the truth that homosexuals cannot have children because it is unnatural. They were not born from it and they cannot have children from it.
I would like to end my "clearing up of things" with a disclaimer. I did not start this thread. I stepped into another one to show a friend was not alone in regards to the way he felt. Someone became so sensitive to that he felt the need to mediate. In the mediation, which I entered only because Christianity was the issue, homosexuality was brought up by Satya because of ONE statement I had said and now feel have explained to the best of my ability today. I may be able to better explain it at another time, but this is where it stands today.
I stand for the rights of children that cannot stand for themselves. Homosexuals can do what they choose in my opinion as long as it does not infringe on my space in this world. I do not care for it. Please do not turn this into anything but a disagreement.
Is it natural for a young man to walk into a church and want to have sex with every woman in there that looks good? Is it natural for him to do so? Is adultery natural? We could have a discussion on the differences of what is natural and what is moral, but where would that go?
I remember having seen many times a dog throw up, only to have the dog eat his own vomit.
Taking a video of that and placing it on the web would serve no purpose whatsover to me; it is only a dog returning to his own vomit.

Last edited: