Homely face? | INFJ Forum

Homely face?

LucyJr

Aug 10, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Anyone ever told you have a homely face, or a homely appearence? just curious...

no
why would anyone tell you that? I have no reason to tell someone that, so you should think about what would compel someone say that.

Yeah somebody on another forum told me that once. They saw me on TC without makeup on and in my bum around clothes. I don't look homely though and the guy was just saying it to be cruel. Did someone call you homely or something?

Niffer told me that once. She could be right. Was it niffer?

I was told I was somebody's ideal person, except for the way I looked, and I told that person it was bullshit, because I know I am attractive. I wasn't attracted to that person anyway, but it still hurt to hear someone say that they didn't think I was attractive, even if they were just saying it out of spite because I rejected them first.

That being said, most of the time even if a person is not hyper-attractive, if they have a great personality, or a lot of confidence, they can still be attractive. I had a roommate who was physically attractive, but he had no confidence and it made him really ugly. Everybody has different ideas, I wouldn't take it to personally. Maybe find things you like about yourself to be stoked about.

Beauty to me is the most subjective topic.

Last edited:
Yes ...my mother.

No. Jk

For the record, I was never called as having a homely faced, its just a concept I found to be interesting and I thought I would do some "research". Abraham Lincoln was called "homely".
I think it means being somehow whithout "glamour", somehow very simple and straighforward, with no "sparkles". Maybe???

For the record, I was never called as having a homely faced, its just a concept I found to be interesting and I thought I would do some "research". Abraham Lincoln was called "homely".
I think it means being somehow whithout "glamour", somehow very simple and straighforward, with no "sparkles". Maybe???

I think you've summarised it pretty well.

Even though 'homely' is generally used as something of a negative comment about appearance, I would say that I like homely people. Indeed, for whatever reason, there are a lot of male youths in Sydney, Australia who look as though they shape their eyebrows, over-gel their hair, have carefully maintained stubble, etc. These young men make me uncomfortable - I don't think it has a connection with gay culture, but there is something very off-putting when you go to pay for petrol/gas and the guy at the register looks as though he spends at least 2 hours a day in front of a mirror.

My next door neighbour told me recently that even when she's seen me in my bathrobe, obviously just having woken up, that I look formal and handsome. She thinks I am incapable of looking casual. I now have a mini-complex going on about wanting to be more casual and homely. I think my neigbour likes messing with my head.

Here homely is not a good thing - it's a nice way of saying ugly. I'm pretty sure if someone called me homely I would punch them in the face and say "now you're homely too".

I think you've summarised it pretty well.

Even though 'homely' is generally used as something of a negative comment about appearance, I would say that I like homely people. Indeed, for whatever reason, there are a lot of male youths in Sydney, Australia who look as though they shape their eyebrows, over-gel their hair, have carefully maintained stubble, etc. These young men make me uncomfortable - I don't think it has a connection with gay culture, but there is something very off-putting when you go to pay for petrol/gas and the guy at the register looks as though he spends at least 2 hours a day in front of a mirror.

My next door neighbour told me recently that even when she's seen me in my bathrobe, obviously just having woken up, that I look formal and handsome. She thinks I am incapable of looking casual. I now have a mini-complex going on about wanting to be more casual and homely. I think my neigbour likes messing with my head.

Yes, I realised some people have a way of appearing "new" everytime, and "fresh". CS Lewis said that affection is "homely faced". He also made a distinction between formality and courtesy. He said formality can not be homely faced, while courtesy can be. Interesting enough I guess...

Here homely is not a good thing - it's a nice way of saying ugly. I'm pretty sure if someone called me homely I would punch them in the face and say "now you're homely too".

I feel that way too.

Homely=kind old person. That's my association anyway.

What the heck is a homely face? Some people take it to mean ugly. Some people take it to mean plain but kindly. And apparently, other people take it to mean old. I always wondered. Is there a universal definition?

Does anyone have pictures?

Face5.jpg

tumblr_msg6eiesQA1rlx538o3_250.gif

I find Steve Buscemi is not ugly...but homely in a lot of the roles he plays.

I think homely could be attributed to hard working people like farmers etc who end up being in the sun and wind a lot. Doesnt matter how good looking you are, you end up with a weather beaten face.

mdb_gallery_r03c2-page1_4.jpg

What the heck is a homely face? Some people take it to mean ugly. Some people take it to mean plain but kindly. And apparently, other people take it to mean old. I always wondered. Is there a universal definition?

Does anyone have pictures?

Thanks for asking! I was scratching my head. lol

Niffer told me that once. She could be right. Was it niffer?

Don't recall. Don't think I've ever used that word to describe a face so I don't think so. I would probably use the word "plain" if I wanted to say that about someone's face. "Homely" seems like more of a personality or wardrobe thing to me.

I just typed in homely face on Google. Did not help a bit, most of the women shown were fricken hot. Thats not the homely I think of but hell if its the new homely, I am FINE with it.

No one answered my question :(

Is there really no universal definition for homely? This one of those things that, when you look it up in the dictionary, there should be a picture of someone's face.

No one answered my question :(

Is there really no universal definition for homely? This one of those things that, when you look it up in the dictionary, there should be a picture of someone's face.

Really, it's the face they make when someone ate too much Sriracha at dinner and didn't have anyone to wipe their ass for them later b/c of their broken arms.

(holy jeebus that was a run-on sentence)