~Historical Figures~ | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

~Historical Figures~

My favourite historical figure is [MENTION=13729]Free2be[/MENTION].

You might not be able to find her in the textbooks (yet), but I find she represents the values we so often find inspiring in historical figures.

Standing your ground, speaking up for yourself, and doing so in a civil yet firm manner.

These are traits I, at least, find I value in historical figures, and I see them here.

[MENTION=13729]Free2be[/MENTION] 2016!

Just my way of saying I agree with hush. :p

Reactions: Free
[MENTION=4598]hush[/MENTION] for VP, place her on the ticket.

[MENTION=4598]hush[/MENTION] for [strike]V[/strike]P, place her on the ticket.

Noticed a slight error.

*slips away on that note so as not to derail thread* ;3

[MENTION=4598]hush[/MENTION] for VP, place her on the ticket.

Hell yes! Though, heh, I don't know if the world is yet ready for our war policy of "smother them in kitten adorableness." The people are not ready to be pacified with furry cuteness.

My solution is to fill the world with kittens instead of hate.

tumblr_nags1jusYa1tw5bhko1_400.gif

Kitten01.gif

Kittens just poppin' up everywhere.

giphy.gif

Sorry. I can't be held accountable for my kittens.

I mean, just look at them

Cutest-Kittens-4.gif

Reactions: Misadventure
Hell yes! Though, heh, I don't know if the world is yet ready for our war policy of "smother them in kitten adorableness." The people are not ready to be pacified with furry cuteness.

HELLS YEAH, BITCHES!!!!! LET'S TEAR THAT SHIT UP, KITTENS ALL UP IN EVERYONE'S BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean... *clears throat*

That would be delightfully splendid, the prospect of which alone compels me to cry aloud with mirth and merriment.

Yes, quite so.

World be damned. Start airlifting kittens and they will come around.

5HSYwuN.jpg

Artemisia_Gentileschi_Selfportrait_Martyr.jpg

Artemisia Gentileschi, Italian Baroque Painter (1593-1652)

Just recently learned about her. There is a bestseller about her "The Passion of Artemisia". She had a very difficult life, exploited by her father and sexually assaulted by her fiance. She later escaped them for a few years, and became a painter whose work had themes of women rebelling against attackers, or taking revenge by committing violent acts against men for the sins committed against women. She was seen as a sign of women's talent, power, and success despite the sexism of the time. For samples of her painting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLtCHs5Q0II

Last edited:
Reactions: CosmicINFJ and Free
Florence+Nightingale.jpg

"I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly to pass my life in purity and to practise my profession faithfully.
I shall abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and shall not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug.
I shall do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling.
I shall be loyal to my work and devoted towards the welfare of those committed to my care."

[video]http://www.biography.com/people/florence-nightingale-9423539[/video]

Reactions: CosmicINFJ
j_o_krag_helle_virkner.jpg

Jens Otto Krag

Social Democrat, Reluctant politician, Danish Prime Minister 1962-1968 and then again 1971-1972, Artist.

Jens Otto Krag is one of the most important figures in the Scandinavian welfare model. He solidified relations with America and the UK, he led Denmark into the European Union and he expanded the role of the welfare state. It was his example that led Sweden and Norway into betting on the long-term value of social security, solidarity, care for mentally ill and families.

He came out of the post-war scene, and wrote some of the most influential Social Democratic books like "The Future of Denmark" and "The Young Man of the 30's". He was never content in his role as a politician, and tried to leave politics multiple times. His perception of politics was that it shouldn't be focused on individuals, but the servitude of the people. Never the less, he married the most famous actress in Denmark at the time, Helle Virkner.

Despite leading as Prime Minister of a coalition government, he was able to make sweeping acts and reform the ideas of the welfare state. Some of his monumental accomplishments were:

New Care of Children and Juveniles Act of May 1964. A program that provided families with a monetary benefit from the government still in place, called "Børne Checken" (The children's bank-check). At the time, many families had to seek help from the government because of the expenditures of raising many children at once. This program proved to fundamentally change the lives of families, and provide security for those wondering if they could afford to have children. It has proven to be very economically beneficial, as fewer have to go on unemployment and seek additional help from the government.

In 1964, a supplementary pension scheme was established, together with universal child allowances in 1967.

New criteria for schools and day-care facilities, stressing educational and social competences be passed down to the children. Furthermore, it was required by municipalities to provide day-care options for all children in the municipality. This program has helped prepare children for high school and college, and still does.

Employment Service and Unemployment Insurance Act of February 1967. Unemployment benefits were raised and indexed by the government. Despite being raised, the government saved money by not calculating each case individually, and waiting time was eliminated. This served as a "security net" and stress-relief for those working hard jobs, a trust that the government would take care of them through tough times. It is still in effect.

The Basic Education Act of April 1972. Raised the required level of education from 7 to 9 years, a requirement that still exists today. It proved to be an effective way of guaranteeing upward social mobility, and strengthened the Danish economy.

A law passed in June 1972 introduced a new scheme for daily cash benefits in cases of sickness and maternity.

The day after Denmark joined the European Union, he called a press meeting announcing his retirement from politics. He felt like his political mission had been accomplished when Denmark joined the European community. He retired to a small house in the country, and spent the rest of his life as an artist, mainly writing poetry and making surrealist paintings.

LEONARDO.JPG

Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci. He's one of those artistic intellectuals that I would just love to take out for a beer and pick his brain.

The One and Only Hunter S. Thompson

HST-hunter-s-thompson-2833229-792-720.jpg

General George S. Patton

s-l1000.jpg

Bill Hicks

bill-hicks-quote.jpg

I like them all because they're independent thinkers, risk takers, and they never lost touch of themselves despite their success.

Last edited:
carl_sagan__legends_by_barkmatter_1920x1200__by_barkmatter-d6bnf19.jpg

Carl Sagan. Where do I even begin with this man? I grew up watching him, listening to his voice and the particular way he would always say "BILLions and BILLions of stars...". Without him, I doubt I would have the interest in or the fondness for the cosmos. He was an astronomer, cosmologist, astrophysicist, astrobiologist, author, science popularizer, and science communicator in astronomy and other natural sciences- among many other job titles. There is nothing I could say to give this man the justice he deserves, just that this world grew a little bit darker when he left it. RIP.

I was never certain anyone could fill his shoes, but Neil DeGrasse Tyson does a pretty damn good job at it. :D
200.gif

I was just going to put Sagan up, but you beat me to it. Good thing I decided to read the previous page.

Borges. I always imagined him (and by all accounts he was) both very gracious and kind in addition to being brilliant.
attachment.php

A late post to dedicate a little of my time and small effort of writing this piece to a man that passed away in 2011:

Christopher-Hitchens.jpg

I will simply quote a few of his words of wisdom:

"The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more."

"I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves."

"Name me an ethical statement made or an action performed by a believer that could not have been made or performed by a non-believer."

"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the ‘transcendent’ and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don’t be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you."

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

Merry Hitchmas.

You all are so detailed and gracious to your admired historical figures, and I wish to be the same, but I'm currently a high-functioning sleepwalker right now and so I'm going to be brief, for fear of sounding incoherent otherwise.

I like Abraham Lincoln, mainly because analyzing his speeches and debates is fascinating. In transcripts of his debates, you could find a passage suggesting he was a white supremacist or a slave emancipator at heart. He was so shrewd and his rhetoric so masterful. I admire those qualities because I know I terribly lack them, so he's an exemplar that I look up to.

Nikola Tesla

tesla.jpg

The brilliant man who was far too ahead of his time. Click HERE for a great article and sources on this wonderfully mad genius.​

Reactions: CosmicINFJ
Hypatia

OyvbYo5.png

Astronomer, mathematician and philosopher while she was one of the first women who studied and taught them in ancient Alexandria, Egypt.

Reactions: Free and CosmicINFJ