Guess the Band | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

Guess the Band

:m074: :congrats:

One of my favorite bands of all time. Some deductions from the above will be required, otherwise I'd make it too easy.

Not sure if these are band names, just guessing words now, lol

Pain & Flowers
Joyful Pain
Pain With Friends

Not sure if these are band names, just guessing words now, lol

Pain & Flowers
Joyful Pain
Pain With Friends

"Pain with friends" - that's another great band name! :grin: But no, that's not it... the logic behind it is a bit more twisted.

Here's another clue: think about what could cause what we see in the first emoji; and about specific kinds of flowers for the second.

Reactions: Free and Fidicen
Here's another clue: think about what could cause what we see in the first emoji; and about specific kinds of flowers for the second.
The Stone Roses?

Reactions: Free and Ren
The Stone Roses?

dhzdi5.jpg

Not sure how to give direct clues. This band has a connection to Depeche Mode.

edit: The reason why I can't come up with direct clues is that this is pretty straightforward. Never mainstream, so not really well-known, but not that obscure to fans of post-punk. They split up in the mid 90s.

Last edited:
Not sure how to give direct clues. This band has a connection to Depeche Mode.

edit: The reason why I can't come up with direct clues is that this is pretty straightforward. Never mainstream, so not really well-known, but not that obscure to fans of post-punk. They split up in the mid 90s.

Found the name of that band by having a look at a list of post-punk bands, so it doesn't count and I won't reveal it. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about post-punk and yet I had never heart of that band. Strange - I'll check them out.

I'd say make sure that your references aren't too obsure or nobody will get them :p

Here's a new one:

:invisible:

I'll give the answers now since there haven't even been any guesses. Maybe most people are too young to remember them and I'm too ancient :tongueclosed:.

1820.png
:rainbowheart: or maybe
1820.png
:<3: or even
1820.png
:laughing:, not sure which one to use. But let the alternatives make it easier.
Marvin Gaye. If I had to name one robot, the only one I can think of is Marvin the Paranoid Android from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Pale Saints. Some kind of dream pop I guess, but often labelled shoegaze. That's why I thought Ren might get this.

Heaven 17. They are a synth pop band originally founded by two ex-Human League members. They had a few hits in the UK in the early 80s but were largely unknown in the US. Their biggest hit was Temptation, but I think their best song was Let Me Go.
The Comsat Angels. This was one of those bands loved by the critics but which didn't sell that many records. For a while they were associated with acts like Siouxsie and the Banshees and Depeche Mode. Martin L. Gore of DM covered their song "Gone" on his solo record in the late 80s. Every now and then I hear people name-drop this band, which means that it's not totally unknown, but just obscure enough to make people impressed (there's no point in name-dropping Hans Otte because saying a name nobody recognizes will impress no-one). So I didn't really expect anyone but post-punk people to get this.

I'll give the answers now since there haven't even been any guesses. Maybe most people are too young to remember them and I'm too ancient :tongueclosed:.

Marvin Gaye. If I had to name one robot, the only one I can think of is Marvin the Paranoid Android from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Pale Saints. Some kind of dream pop I guess, but often labelled shoegaze. That's why I thought Ren might get this.

Heaven 17. They are a synth pop band originally founded by two ex-Human League members. They had a few hits in the UK in the early 80s but were largely unknown in the US. Their biggest hit was Temptation, but I think their best song was Let Me Go.

The Comsat Angels. This was one of those bands loved by the critics but which didn't sell that many records. For a while they were associated with acts like Siouxsie and the Banshees and Depeche Mode. Martin L. Gore of DM covered their song "Gone" on his solo record in the late 80s. Every now and then I hear people name-drop this band, which means that it's not totally unknown, but just obscure enough to make people impressed (there's no point in name-dropping Hans Otte because saying a name nobody recognizes will impress no-one). So I didn't really expect anyone but post-punk people to get this.

Yep, I could have guessed Pale Saints. I don't know that band so well but I've definitely listened to one record of theirs (this one). Great riddle, wish I had found it :)

I don't know that band so well but I've definitely listened to one record of theirs
Yeah I think that one sounds more like shoegaze than the others. I don't hear that many shoegaze elements except perhaps the guitar sounds. With the female singer they remind me more of the early Cranberries records. Or going in a different direction you could stylistically connect them to Lush, and Lush to Cocteau Twins, so I think there's some overlap between dreampop and shoegaze.

:invisible:
Blur

Could have been, but no. The band in question is not a particularly critically acclaimed band, if I may put it that way ^^

The band in question is not a particularly critically acclaimed band, if I may put it that way
Could have been Evanescence as well, but they aren't unpopular with the critics. There's also a metal band called The Fading, but that's probably not it. Blink-182?

Travis also comes to mind because they have an album called The Invisible Band, but that's overthinking the clue.
Ah, now I know, the band hated by critics and audiences alike, with a song called How to Disappear Completely:

Radiohead.

It's probably something so new that I've never heard of it (that is, popular in the last 10 years :weary:)

Ooh, Phil Collins. He's disliked by many. The emoji symbolises his receding hairline :grin:

Reactions: Free, James and Ren
Could have been Evanescence as well, but they aren't unpopular with the critics. There's also a metal band called The Fading, but that's probably not it. Blink-182?

Travis also comes to mind because they have an album called The Invisible Band, but that's overthinking the clue.
Ah, now I know, the band hated by critics and audiences alike, with a song called How to Disappear Completely:

Radiohead.

It's probably something so new that I've never heard of it (that is, popular in the last 10 years :weary:)

Ooh, Phil Collins. He's disliked by many. The emoji symbolises his receding hairline :grin:

Haha, the Phil Collins comment made me laugh. Actually it was Evanescence - well done!

My bad, I thought they weren't particularly liked by critics.

@hush Nobody guessed that rainbow monster band you presented at some point. I'm guessing Rainbow or The Wave.. or maybe Super Furry Animals.

@Ren I've tried to think of band names that have something to do with religion, but haven't really come up with anything that fits. The last two on this list are the best fit, but they're probably not famous enough:

Bad Religion
The Divine Comedy
The Righteous Brothers
Judas Priest
The Brothers of Mercy
The Beach Boys
Grateful Dead
Guided by Voices
The Zombies
Nekromantix [scraping the bottom of the barrel here..]
The Innocence Mission
Purity Ring

I like the logic behind seeing the picture as The Beach Boys or Guided by Voices :). There was also that weird picture with a French word but I've got nothing there: Bolnez Drinkgoal, Balnez Sipaim, Courtnez Glasnet, Bally Glasbüt. I should probably think of the emojis as abstractions rather than concrete objects.

Purity Ring

You got it! :grin:

PS. Maybe that was a little too obscure? I don't know how well-known they are, really. Maybe my vision's been blurred by my hipsterdom.