Grammar and Intelligence | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Grammar and Intelligence

I used to think that people who used good grammar tended to have higher IQ's and vice versa. But then I discovered how wrong I was while reading IQ threads full of posts like the following:
[link]

my iq is 135 wats urs

thats nothin, mines like twice that
u suck at brains man!!!! i got 175 n ur so stoopid duh

Clearly the most intelligent people in the world can be found on gaming forums. The rest of us need to rethink our prejudices from the ground up.

Would you or would you not naturally deem an articulate speaker as having a higher level of intelligence than someone who spoke in incomplete sentences, or broken english? This then becomes the question of whether or not a person could be perceived as having greater intelligence because of their ability to utilize yes, formal grammar.

I used to think that people who used good grammar tended to have higher IQ's and vice versa. But then I discovered how wrong I was while reading IQ threads full of posts like the following:

Clearly the most intelligent people in the world can be found on gaming forums. The rest of us need to rethink our prejudices from the ground up.

*chuckles* Ah TLM, you amuse me.

That's the point of prejudices, though. Most of them shuld be critically analyzed, and in turn, OBLITERATED. SMASH.

And I'm not talking about those innate prejudices like, hmm, the stove is glowing red, but I'm not going to use prior knowledge to understand that I shouldn't touch it.
Social prejudices.

Would you or would you not naturally deem an articulate speaker as having a higher level of intelligence than someone who spoke in incomplete sentences, or broken english?
I tend to mistrust people who like to talk too much. Being articulate counts for little, imo.

Do you believe it to be a social prejudice that people who are grammatically challenged are perceived to be of a lower intelligence?
What if I said that a possible explanation is that constant exposure to formal texts and the overall format of the education system have made led to the pedanticism of educated individuals, and that those who have lower levels of education also happen to have terrible formal speaking skills?

Would you or would you not naturally deem an articulate speaker as having a higher level of intelligence than someone who spoke in incomplete sentences, or broken english? This then becomes the question of whether or not a person could be perceived as having greater intelligence because of their ability to utilize yes, formal grammar.
how they speak has no bearing with me, its all in what they say. I'm met far too many wonderfully eloquent people who are dumb as door nails. Also, sometime, when someone has a very complex and intelligent idea, their speech becomes broken because they really don't know where to begin in explaining their idea.

Reactions: Moxie
this could also be due to the abstract nature of the ideas themselves. if the idea is semantically void because there is no alternative or even parallel definition for it, it would technically not even exist as a word.
unless you are just talking about trouble communicating ideas, which could point to damage in Broca's area.
The most intelligent people I've met, and really talked to, have all been N's, so its the abstract ideas one. Broca-ial damage would be entirely different.

well, thats how new concepts are born, unless they are just recycled jumbles of information processed in a way that could be expressed differently. like they say, "there is nothing new under the sun."

Well, I have just met people whose verbal skills and command of the language far exceeded the importance of what they actually had to say. It didn't seem to stop them though...I think they loved hearing the sound of their own articulate voice. If course, meaningful content clearly and articulately communicated is a great thing...I have seen this, too

Articulate: express or state clearly
Logghorrea: pathologically excessive (and often incoherent) talking

I think you're talking about pedanticism

I am going to say no, there is almost no corralation to it what so ever. I am not trying to toot my own horn here, but I know that I am a pretty smart person, yet I suck royally at grammar, as you might have noticed with my postings.

x3

Yes, people who use good grammar are more intelligent, or educated, or both. They might not have higher IQs, but who says that IQ= intelligence?

Yes, people who use good grammar are more intelligent, or educated, or both. They might not have higher IQs, but who says that IQ= intelligence?

I hate to disagree with you. Grammar is a learned skill nothing more.

I hate to disagree with you. Grammar is a learned skill nothing more.
However, the ability to learn such a complicated skill is a sign of intelligence.

[QUOTE=N