Giant Retail Business | INFJ Forum

Giant Retail Business

Nixie

Resurrected
Aug 23, 2010
Oregon
MBTI
ENTP
I was shopping late one evening, and only one store was open, Wal-Mart. I ended up at one that I don't normally go to, there are like 3 or so where I live. So I am running in for some cat food--I feared for my life if I didn't bring any home--and I saw something that has convinced me that things are nuts.

I am waiting to check out cause they only have one cashier working and I start looking around and then I saw IT. "The Clinic At Wal-Mart"--an offshoot of a local hospital/care group in the area. I mean really??? A clinic at Wal-mart. Get that nasty infection checked out while you shop.

It reminded me of that movie with Sylvester Stallone and Sandra Bullock about the future and that line--"now all restaurants are Taco Bell now". Seriously, would you get your health care needs met at Wal-mart? Is this the wave of the future? Where does it stop? "court at Wal-mart" "weddings at Wal-mart--free gift registry included" "funeral at Wal-mart" I thought it was the creepiest thing I have ever seen.

Reactions: Kgal and Lerxst
....sounds terribly unreliable for me. :| But maybe that's stereotyping. Or not? I'm a bit confused..

But that's strange; has the clinic open for a long time? I thought Americans were in somewhat of a business problem..? Or is this a case of Wal-mart buying a business -- in this case a clinic?

The Clinic is located inside the Wal-mart but belongs to a local hospital/care provider. Most Wal-marts will have like a bank or a picture studio or even an eyeglass place inside them. But a clinic?? I don't know what the equivalent overseas would be...it is like having a Clinic located in your supermarket.

It's sad. People are poor. The middle class is declining and this is the future. Trickle down economics--shut up, and don't tax the rich another lousy marginal 4% above $250,000. The Koch brothers and their cohort have the average moron voter (IQ < 100) convinced that the "job creators" can't hire people if they pay a little bit more in taxes, never mind that businesses have $2.2 Trillion sitting in banks that they're too wimpy to invest.

My wal-mart had one of those once. I got a flu shot at it because it was cheaper than going to Wal-greens (where I got my most recent flu shot), and I have to say, it's quite a decent comparison. At least with the wal-mart clinic, I didn't go into the back boiler room to get my shot in the "sanitation" area. For little things like that, I'd have no problem going to the wal-mart clinic, more or less because my insurance would make going to a stand-alone doctor's office for a shot more expensive than paying for it out of pocket.

That being said, the wal-mart that had that clinic shut the clinic down and replaced it with a mcdonalds. Now, THAT scares me.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Some Target stores have those too. Minute clinics I think they are called.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart on principle, but it doesn't surprise me. Seems ever since Sam Walton passed, it's not a business I can support in any way whatsoever. It's just another way for them to make a buck by making quite literally everything available at a lower price, all to the detriment of the proverbial little guy. You can get a haircut, get your taxes done, get your eyes checked, have your tires and oil changed, buy paint for your house, and grocery shop all in one fell swoop.

I'm sure you've heard the "eminent domain" stories, which are unsettling enough for me not to support such a corporation, but did you also know that they also have been known to take out life insurance policies on their employees without their knowledge or consent? Did you also know that more than 60% of their employees cannot afford the health insurance available to them thru the company?

To me, the harm caused to the families and individuals by the company is not worth me saving a few bucks on the products and services they offer, convenient or not.

Pee Ess,
Glad you're back, Sonya. :)

Sam built the company on buy-American. It is just another reason there are so few jobs in America to be had now. They are currently copying all their better-selling items as Great Value, further capitalizing on shutting down the companies they represent on their shelves. Between them, Lowe's, and Home Depot? Taken away a many of a job from Americans via who they now buy their products from and where. It does help the Port Authorities and Customs, though, I feel quite sure.

Clinics? The eyeglass stores with visiting Optometrists were the start of all this.

As a foreigner, I don't understand why Walmart doesn't just make the transition into becoming a full-blown mini-mall.

Reactions: Norton
I think it was Michelle Bachmann who said if we legalized abortion, there would be little abortion clinics popping up in wal-marts and malls across the country so you could shop and conveniently abort your baby at the same time. Lolz.

in canada we do have clinics in our supermarkets :p it's called... wait for it.... the Superstore :p it has a gym, a clinic, clothing, make up, florist, wine, pharmacy, furniture, dishes, school supplies, electronics, musics, toys and of course groceries :) it's not a big box store its a GIANT box store. but it's convenient. and what is interesting is that among groceries stores it is one of the more expensive ones, its more for the upper middle class rather than the lower. but with all its amenities people from a wide range of financial backgrounds end up visiting the store.

Abortions? How politically incorrect that seems to me talking about Wallie World for some reason.

Next someone might say they would remove the blood from a corpse and embalm people.....

It just seems to smack too much of "owing your soul to the company store". I think back upon indentured servants and such. It is scary to think that this company could have such an influence on the working poor.

As [MENTION=680]just me[/MENTION] said - they are systematically putting american businesses out of business.

As they co-opt other small industries and incorporate them into and under their roofs - they are continuously expanding into the monopoly they intend to be.

I'm with you [MENTION=1857]youhemmein[/MENTION] ...I only shop at our local WalMart when I have to. Even though I'm unemployed I still grocery shop at the local employee owned store despite their prices being a bit higher. It's the principle of it all.

Can you imagine the increase in sick people shopping there?

ugh...[shudders]

Abortions? How politically incorrect that seems to me talking about Wallie World for some reason.

Next someone might say they would remove the blood from a corpse and embalm people.....

Walmart should sell discount coffins and urns!

Hey, if it's healthcare I can afford, I'm all for there being clinics in Wal-Mart.

Cheers, America.