Function Leaning | INFJ Forum

Function Leaning

Yes. I like this.

It's also much more common for people to lean on the function of a similar letter. I.E. Ni will lean on Ne in almost all INxJ types. This is because Si is supposed to be the most disliked of the shadow functions, and Ne the most prefered. I would venture to guess there is around an 80/20 split between Ne and Si in INxJ types. I am one of the ones that clearly leans on Si and I actually have yet to see another member on this forum do the same (if there is someone, I would like to know!).

Yes. I like this.

It's also much more common for people to lean on the function of a similar letter. I.E. Ni will lean on Ne in almost all INxJ types. This is because Si is supposed to be the most disliked of the shadow functions, and Ne the most prefered. I would venture to guess there is around an 80/20 split between Ne and Si in INxJ types. I am one of the ones that clearly leans on Si and I actually have yet to see another member on this forum do the same (if there is someone, I would like to know!).

Well I do so as well, my Ne is not the greatest and my Si has been gaining ground, and I am realizing how much I actually do use Si, you see like you I have always neglected such process but when I actually read said process descriptions I felt like I engage in this process a lot of the time. I have also always confused Ti with Si.

Well I do so as well, my Ne is not the greatest and my Si has been gaining ground, and I am realizing how much I actually do use Si, you see like you I have always neglected such process but when I actually read said process descriptions I felt like I engage in this process a lot of the time. I have also always confused Ti with Si.

Oh right duh, I forgot! :tongue1:

I did the same with Ti and Si when I first started learning about functions.

Another great thought/theory VH. Yes, you are right Indigo, the split is definately way towards the Ne/Fi group--of which I fall into. And thus into the INFP realm. I use Si not at all. Don't like it. I like/use Ni, Fe, Ne, Fi, and Ti. I can use Se if I concentrate and stay focused.

What is disliking Si like?

Interesting question acd. I usually live in the future, and occasionally the past. Rarely the present. That puts Si at a disadvantage right away. It's defined as:

Introverted sensing (Si)

Si collects data in the present moment and compares it with past experiences, a process that sometimes evokes the feelings associated with memory, as if the subject were reliving it. Seeking to protect what is familiar, Si draws upon history to form goals and expectations about what will happen in the future.

As arrogant as it sounds, I don't do a lot of data collecting unless I have to. Usually it's all there. Nope, I use my Ni to draw on what will happen in the future!

Reactions: acd
Could you please explain what you mean by "lean"?

I like to think of leaning as, using two functions at the same time for similar processes. Whether it is for processing a thought, idea, emotion, or feeling.

I always try to come up with physical analouges for the functions. In this case I would concider two of these functions (for this we could say Ni>Ne or Ni>Si), as tuners on a microscope. Ni would be the corse focus, and Ne or Si would be the fine focus. If that makes sense.

It is a way for things to be more clearly defined, and refined if exactly clarity can not be reached by Ni methods alone.

I like to think of leaning as, using two functions at the same time for similar processes. Whether it is for processing a thought, idea, emotion, or feeling.

I always try to come up with physical analouges for the functions. In this case I would concider two of these functions (for this we could say Ni>Ne or Ni>Si), as tuners on a microscope. Ni would be the corse focus, and Ne or Si would be the fine focus. If that makes sense.

It is a way for things to be more clearly defined, and refined if exactly clarity can not be reached by Ni methods alone.
Well I wouldn't really go as far as to say that you guys are leaning on Ne... Considering Ni doms don't even have it as a conscious function. However for Ni to work at all, there must be some Si to base it on.
Si and Ni are actually in the same brain quadrant (lower left) which is the quadrant that contains your worldview.
You can't make speculations of the future without knowing the past. So when using Ni there is always some unconscious Si mixed in there. Although it would not be accurate to say that you are using Si, because while there is some mixed in there, it is only done for the benefit of Ni, and it is not functioning as it would for an Si user.

Ne on the other hand shares the upper right quadrant with Se, so it actually has nothing to do with how you use Ni.

*necros*

This is a pretty interesting theory. I'd have to say that I can definitely see the 'lean on' property of Ni with Si, or of Ti with Fi.

Ooh, good theory XD

I can see where you're going; maybe this is kind of a relationship? Ni / insights can be gathered from either memory (Si), or possibilities (Ne) . Fe / caring can be taken from our own desire to care (Fi), or a standard of caring (Te; which kinda explains how Te could shapeshift as Fe). And so on xD