[INFJ] - Friends or something more? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Friends or something more?

BlackHorse said:
My question is, does a guy ever put so much effort into maintaining a relationship with a girl if the only thing he wants with her is just a platonic friendship?
Thanks for reading!

Of course! (From personal experience, I put in a ton of effort, in fact probably even more than the guy you describe.)

I guess what I'm slightly confused by is if you want to pursue something non-platonic with him or not. I mean, you mention that you have feelings for him that are strong, but has the status on wanting to pursue something non-platonic changed (earlier, you mentioned you don't want to do it)?

If not, then I'd suggest to play it safe and not mention anything to him unless you're really sure it won't harm the friendship. And there are two sides to that coin -- even if he is OK with it, perhaps you'll feel vulnerable if he ends up not feeling the same and/or not wanting to pursue something.

I feel a bit bad giving that advice, because to tell the truth, I believe in the ability to be fully open with my friends, and if a female friend said that type of thing to me, it wouldn't affect the friendship at all at least on my end, and I'd find it kind of nice like getting to know my friend's psychology better. But I don't think everyone is going to be as detached and some might find it makes things awkward. I'd just find it an interesting exercise to figure out why they feel that way for me.

Hey everyone,
He (25, ISFJ) invites me (F, 22, INFJ/P) out about 1-2 times a week to ''hang out'', we eat something, go for walks etc. A lot of times I'm the one who starts texting him but he usually continues for 2-3 hours and we talk a lot on Messenger and in person. I have to mention: We've known each other for about 4 years now, hung out on and off with the same group of friends. Then we haven't talked to each other for 1-2 years, and now we got really close in the past month.
My question is, does a guy ever put so much effort into maintaining a relationship with a girl if the only thing he wants with her is just a platonic friendship?
Thanks for reading!
Yes.

so I just went through this. Had a friend that I like as a friend and a close friend. She wanted more and has pushed several times for a more intimate relationship. We went out Saturday and then the next day I get this text essentially demanding that I declare my feelings of that deeper relationship that she wants with me. Since I am trying really hard to be living in truth I told her I did not have the feelings she wants me to have, so we ended up broken up. .now it seems we have little left and she is angry. I guess I was in a wait and see what develops as we move along, but she wasn't having that. .

@sassafras I've developed feelings and I find him attractive, but I don't wanna be in a relationship with him if that makes sense. I really love him as a close friend and like you said, I don't wanna give him the wrong impression. Hopefully he only sees me as a friend as well. I really don't wanna lose him.
That sounds complicated.

@sassafras We were hanging out with friends and after he asked if I wanna go for a walk alone even tho we spent already 4 hours together and he had work the next day, we stayed there till 11pm. And yeah nothing happend that would directly indicate his feelings for me. He does give me a lot of attention and his time, but you're right... could be only friendly feelings. It's just that people usually say that guys don't give you that much attention unless they want something more.
Ah but they do especially when they really care -- even just as a friend.
If you'd rather wait and see because keeping him as a friend is more important, do that.
Waiting and seeing has its benefits. I think if the depth of your contact continues, the depth of your relationship will be sustained. This can either be a good thing or a bad thing. Have you considered the worst case scenarios? Have you conducted some serious introspection? How likely are you to develop feelings for him? You have to consider these from his end too even though you are not in a position to guess his feelings, but suppose such a scenario comes up, how do you feel about the thought of it?

Sometimes love happens even when we don't plan it to so just prepare yourself for all that comes with it.

In any case, when a good person comes into our life, we let them. They are bound to teach us something about ourselves. At this point, it is best to cherish what is and cross the messy bridges should it ever get there. I promise you, sometimes the messy never does happen but this usually begins with knowing exactly what we want. So If I may, I implore you to begin with knowing what you want.

There's a lot of good advice here but the only way to be sure is to keep a close eye on his Spotify activity and what colour clothes he wears.

But actually, the other advice is good. It's not necessarily so. I have female friends who I had no intention of getting closer to until we did (oops) and, even with the one where nothing transpired, it didn't end the friendship entirely. I mean, the reality is that these friendships have an expiry date because I'll never meet their future boyfriends etc but it's not necessarily an all or nothing thing.
Expiry date is correct. If you ever find yourselves dating other people @BlackHorse, the respectful thing to do is to dial down the connection between you. Do you think it would be fair for either of you to continue the depth of your relationship while you pursue deep commitments with others? I'm a bit of a stringent monogamist so my answer to this is no, it's not fair. But that depends on what you think.

I don't know if I should open a new thread but since it's the same topic I will just continue here.
So a l lot has happened. As predicted (or not lol) I fell in love with him. He wrote me and invited me out maybe 3 or 4 times and ofc i couldn't help but completely fall for him. Everything went so smooth, he seemed interested (lots of eye contact, smiling, physical contact and flirting) but then again at some points he seemed a bit off (or maybe I'm just overthinking the whole process again). Anyway, we last saw eachother about 10 days ago. I wrote him once in between if he wants to meet, he said sure, we wrote for a bit and then he just ignored my last message and never replied or wrote me again. That was 6 days ago. And now I have no idea what happened or what to do next. He means a lot to me. It's true that he's online on facebook every 15 hours lately and I don't know what's going on. Should I just move on? I really wanna write him again but I don't wanna seem pushy or needy. I keep telling mysef that if he's interested he will write me, but that hope is basically dead. What person at their right mind doesn't wite someone they like in 10 days.
Thanks for reading guys :)
Confess. :) well, at least ask yourself if you want ro confess or if you can handle losing him as a romantic partner and keeping him as a friend. On the other hand, you can move on from him as a friend too. That's also an option. The key is to check within. You have to make your choices too. Do you think you would be able to handle it should he ever start dating someone? I saw while he isn't and while he's available, confess. You can give him some time to think about it. Go get him. There is no rule book saying you can't. But if he rejects you flat out,take it gracefully and check with yourself if you can handle that too.

As to the texting, it is immaterial. He may or may not be busy. He may or may not have been thinking of you. In any case, if he's even interested, he will pursue. Men are wired to pursue and they will if they're sure.

And as I said, you could also do the pursuing.

@mintoots
If I would date someone else I would continue seeing this guy friend in strictly platonic way.. We have been friends for a long time, he's been next to me through all (2) of my relationships and we've always been no more than friends, even tho we actually rarely saw eachother.. maybe 5 times in 2 years. Even flirting began recently and I think we have the power to cool eveyhing down and continue as friends if one of us starts dating.
Its not easy and I'm scared I won't be able to forget him and have the courage to date other men, move on.. especially if he starts seeing other people first..Exactly as you said. Men are wired to pursue and he hasn't done it. So why bother... I should move on.
And yes love ALWAYS happens to me with people i would never imagine being with and when I least expect it..
Thanks for all replies !

@mintoots
If I would date someone else I would continue seeing this guy friend in strictly platonic way.. We have been friends for a long time, he's been next to me through all (2) of my relationships and we've always been no more than friends, even tho we actually rarely saw eachother.. maybe 5 times in 2 years. Even flirting began recently and I think we have the power to cool eveyhing down and continue as friends if one of us starts dating.
Its not easy and I'm scared I won't be able to forget him and have the courage to date other men, move on.. especially if he starts seeing other people first..Exactly as you said. Men are wired to pursue and he hasn't done it. So why bother... I should move on.
And yes love ALWAYS happens to me with people i would never imagine being with and when I least expect it..
Thanks for all replies !
Confess. You must confess.

The loose end here will damage your future relationships if it is not brought into clarity.

The possible scenarios and appropriate responses are:
1) You have romantic feelings and he does not.
= You must disengage from the closeness of the friendship for your own wellbeing. I'd even suggest breaking contact amicably for your own sake.

2) You have romantic feelings and so does he.
= discuss whether you would like to explore a romantic relationship together.

This is very simple, and unless you enjoy the tension of potential, then you simply can't not do anything.

I disagree. I don't think it could ruin my future relationship... I mean.. how exactly? The other guy, who i liked AND also told him how i felt (he didnt share the feelings), i couldnt forget through my whole next relationship of 2 years..and i haven't even seen him in a long time. This was the most messed up time of my life.. but the point is, that even tho i was rejected it didn't matter at all. He was still in my head too often.
I already feel rejected, I don't need it written down.

i couldnt forget..and i haven't even seen him in a long time. ..He was still in my head too often.

Your comment paraphrased

Know the feeling .. been there more than a few times (where someone has been in my head for a long period of time). Best way is NOT to get into a relationship but instead work through it. If I find someone I like, I generally fall for them and take at least six months to fully to come to term with the "breakup" (this is not a relationship, just something in my mind that could have been more!). I think I just fall too deeply and so it takes time to sort my mind out and unclutter my thoughts about them.

@JustPhil haha yeah well I think us INFJs in general don't chase :grimacing: at least as far as I noticed. I also hate it and can't do it. It's not that I'm playing hard to get... i just like to see that a guy is actually interested, and does at least some of the moves or starts to text etc
Yeah the relationship was a huge mistake... figured out pretty late. But oh well better late than never. Now that its over I'm actually starting to think if he was just a rebound ... I was so hurt about the whole rejection thing that I just needed someone to love me.. just a thought..
I generally fall for them and take at least six months to fully to come to term with the "breakup" (this is not a relationship, just something in my mind that could have been more!). I think I just fall too deeply and so it takes time to sort my mind out and unclutter my thoughts about them.
Yes.. exactly how i feel...

I tend to idealize my crush and create a whole future life with him.. in my head ofc and because of that it hurts even more when i have to move on.

I disagree. I don't think it could ruin my future relationship... I mean.. how exactly? The other guy, who i liked AND also told him how i felt (he didnt share the feelings), i couldnt forget through my whole next relationship of 2 years..and i haven't even seen him in a long time. This was the most messed up time of my life.. but the point is, that even tho i was rejected it didn't matter at all. He was still in my head too often.
I already feel rejected, I don't need it written down.

I understand and relate. That said, since you don't want to confess your feelings, @Deleted member 16771' advice to disengage from the closeness of the friendship is a good one, I think. You can do that subtly; in any case I think you should consider it. Sooner or later he will end up dating someone, and you're only setting yourself up to be completely heartbroken if you remain in that very intimate (albeit Platonic) friendship and then one day you learn that he has 'found' someone, and naturally becomes progressively more distant from you as a result.

What experience has also taught me is that getting over someone is partly a matter of our own willpower — not in abstract but in terms of very concrete actions we can perform to strengthen our emotional independence and free our mind for other opportunities. Managing to disengage from the friendship a bit is one such action.

Again, I'm just afraid that by doing nothing you might be setting yourself up for serious emotional pain in the medium term.

@JustPhil haha yeah well I think us INFJs in general don't chase :grimacing: at least as far as I noticed. I also hate it and can't do it. It's not that I'm playing hard to get... i just like to see that a guy is actually interested, and does at least some of the moves or starts to text etc
Yeah the relationship was a huge mistake... figured out pretty late. But oh well better late than never. Now that its over I'm actually starting to think if he was just a rebound ... I was so hurt about the whole rejection thing that I just needed someone to love me.. just a thought..

Yes.. exactly how i feel...

I tend to idealize my crush and create a whole future life with him.. in my head ofc and because of that it hurts even more when i have to move on.

I came out of a fifteen year relationship and I was the same as you relating to the comment "just needed someone to love me". I think if the opportunity had presented itself I would have quite happily jumped into another relationship. Even now, with what I know I think I would always prefer the comfort of a relationship.

But, I am so glad that the universe went "stuff you .. you can stay single". Well the universe and women steering away from me in droves! :tearsofjoy:

I think for me, in any case, its given me time to explore my own thoughts and feelings. In a relationship I wanted to explore my SO's thoughts and feelings and typically ignored my own. It also has given me a chance to set some boundaries to avoid falling into the same trap (of ignoring my thoughts and feelings) in the future.

We give so much of ourselves in a relationship, that coming out of them. like the introverts we are, we need time to recharge from being in that relationship - similar to being in social situations and needing downtime.

@Ren Idk what to say. We haven't seen eachother in almost 2 weeks, I'm not gonna write him to meet just so I can tell him how I feel. It feels weird, it feels like i was dying without him these past few weeks and I'm just there ''Love me please, I miss you''.I If he writes me again and we start seeing eachother again then sure at some point I will HAVE to tell him.

@JustPhil
I think if the opportunity had presented itself I would have quite happily jumped into another relationship.
Yeah that's pretty much it. I also don't like most guys because basically no one gives me that spark if you know what i mean. But every 10th or something is quite interesting and then all of a sudden I'm hard crushing and can't get him out of my head for years. Literally years.

fifteen year relationship
15 years jesus :fearscream: Ye my ex was the guy that loved me but it wasn't it. No spark, nothing.
Can't imagine how that feels tho, 15 years.

its given me time to explore my own thoughts and feelings.
But the whole point is exploring another persons mind what do you mean :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

@Ren Idk what to say. We haven't seen eachother in almost 2 weeks, I'm not gonna write him to meet just so I can tell him how I feel. It feels weird, it feels like i was dying without him these past few weeks and I'm just there ''Love me please, I miss you''.I If he writes me again and we start seeing eachother again then sure at some point I will HAVE to tell him.

Yeah that sounds good :) I agree that now that it's been two weeks you can't really just confess your feelings out of the blue.

Wait and see how things go, it's quite likely you guys will resume hanging out at some point.

Yeah that sounds good :) I agree that now that it's been two weeks you can't really just confess your feelings out of the blue.
Fuck that, you're playing games now and your lack of courage is pissing me off.

If avoiding 'weirdness' and following the rules is more important to you, then the kind of love you claim to seek just isn't for you.

Yeah that's pretty much it. I also don't like most guys because basically no one gives me that spark if you know what i mean. But every 10th or something is quite interesting and then all of a sudden I'm hard crushing and can't get him out of my head for years. Literally years.

I do know what you mean. It's like I meet someone but there isn't a spark. Then you meet someone and I think it's pretty much the same in reverse! You have this spark and they don't seem to. I suppose that's what life is about - finding someone who has the spark when you have that spark!

15 years jesus :fearscream: Ye my ex was the guy that loved me but it wasn't it. No spark, nothing.
Can't imagine how that feels tho, 15 years.

I think in the end of fifteen years I had the spark but my partner no longer did. I think I am long term - once I make the commitment. Just take a while to make the commitment :tearsofjoy:.

But the whole point is exploring another persons mind what do you mean :tearsofjoy:

Yes it is, but not at the exclusion of looking after yourself. I can get lost in another's mind if they let me, and its the right person, but we need time out just for ourselves and I forget that - too easily :relieved:

@Deleted member 16771 Well no shit I'm not courageous. Also if i don't feel like it's the right moment I won't do it. He ignored my last message,didn't wirte me at all and i should just casually write him oh btw i like you?? You actually remind me a lot of my 31 (i think) yo INTJ ''friend'', he literally talks the same. Same approach :laughing: I think it's hilarous

finding someone who has the spark when you have that spark!
Yeah but that's sooo rare. Honestly idk if i ever felt that we both have it.

How do you see that someone is actually commited in a relationship? And how do you know that you are? Can't imagine it takes 15 years :frowning: