Free speech on social media | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Free speech on social media

Social media is a business enterprise, not some bastion of free speech or rights.

Companies make programs to make money because people want attention.

Good attention or bad attention, it doesn't matter. It is still the parent's responsibility to teach ethical behavior online.

Reactions: aeon
Social media is a business enterprise, not some bastion of free speech or rights.

Companies make programs to make money because people want attention.

Good attention or bad attention, it doesn't matter. It is still the parent's responsibility to teach ethical behavior online.

That would make sense if only the public was even slightly social media literate; which they are not.

What is wrong with regulating social media. We do it for everything else that has the potential to cause an incredible amount of harm.

Reactions: Jexocuha and aeon
Because posting isn't a "right" and they are businesses, NOT public entities

Reactions: Jexocuha and acd
Because posting isn't a "right" and they are businesses, NOT public entities

Yea no I've seen this one abused as well to not only deplatform individuals with non conforming opinions but also target whole demographics. Pretty sure you would get fairly angry if someone or an algorithm decided to deplatform you as you said "not a right" or worse still cancel services such as banking, credit cards, ect as this has happened in some instances as well. Deplatforming persons from society isn't a new thing and in 1930s Germany such for many ended in zyklon showers while the same in the Soviet Union meant the gulag with notable example being Kolyma or even the infamous cannibal island Nazino. Partly the reason for anyone to oppose this is frankly history is repeating and reasonable persons want to put a stop to this before it is an existential problem in society but with the totalitarian ideologues as well the corporate elites wanting this well I guess that eventually a lot of people will find themselves included from society beyond just losing their jobs.

Society is not static, it evolves and changes. You are not entitled to a "platform" to spread your own ideas unless it belongs to you.

Pretty sure that just deciding Manifest Destiny applies to social media isn't the answer.

Twitter can ban who they want for whatever reason, it's a business not a public entity. Plus being banned from Facebook will NEVER be the same as the Holocaust or the Gulag, lol

If you don't like what someone is saying, then utilise the block function. Or don't read/listen to it. What more do people want?

Some forms of regulation I can agree with: prohibiting actual hate speech (not just that which upsets some people), sharing content meant to invoke or support terrorism, e.t.c.
Otherwise people should be able to decide for themselves what they want to see online. It's not up to companies or governments to determine that which cannot be expressed. Disagree with me? Go live in China or North Korea and tell me how it is after a while.

Oh god not Stefan, he is probably different these days but back many years ago he just made up his own facts.

As someone who talks in generalizations a lot myself I can see it in him, he makes bold claims without slowly and methodically backing them up. I an see how he appeals to people's intuition that something is wrong with cancel culture but he needs to define his arguments in a bit more detail. A good example is that he uses the word "they" a lot and doesn't define any particular organization or source of origin. Another example is "that's why I push back" and doesn't really explain what he did or any particular examples. Someone like Jordan Peterson (not trying to fanboy) would explain himself in far clearer detail and exactly what he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: aeon and Reason
If you don't like what someone is saying, then utilise the block function. Or don't read/listen to it. What more do people want?

Some forms of regulation I can agree with: prohibiting actual hate speech (not just that which upsets some people), sharing content meant to invoke or support terrorism, e.t.c.
Otherwise people should be able to decide for themselves what they want to see online. It's not up to companies or governments to determine that which cannot be expressed. Disagree with me? Go live in China or North Korea and tell me how it is after a while.
Yes, this. 100 percent. Our rights are about to get less and less if we don't stop bickering with each other over who is vaccinated and who isn't, and pay attention to what the government is up to.

Gov everywhere: "Yeah, yeah.. look at those anti vaxxers over there, ruining society! Keep being distracted by the bickering guys... don't mind us! We're just over here passing new laws and mandates for your "protection". #thegreatreset

People: *continue bickering*

Being a parent means being in control of what your kids take in anyway. Unfortunately not all adults are educated on it. I get what you’re trying to communicate here.
The solution to this unfortunately isn’t as easy as we want it to be. What is the source of that choice in what we do or do not allow our children to see? Confronting the self and the soul isn’t as simple and unfortunately this means there’s an existence of complacency with ourself and others. I would say more so how do we give people this kind of education as individuals rather than how do we further regulate?

Being a parent means being in control of what your kids take in anyway. Unfortunately not all adults are educated on it. I get what you’re trying to communicate here.
The solution to this unfortunately isn’t as easy as we want it to be. What is the source of that choice in what we do or do not allow our children to see? Confronting the self and the soul isn’t as simple and unfortunately this means there’s an existence of complacency with ourself and others. I would say more so how do we give people this kind of education as individuals rather than how do we further regulate?

Raising kids in this day and age is almost an impossible task as parents really do have their hands full these days between there not being much if any family time due to work coupled with a degenerate public education system. As for social media good luck unless one is pretty tech savvy to have set up filters as well manage their phone use ect but either way they'll eventually find their way to the mess that is society. I do look back to my years in that hole that was those inner city schools where gang activity and drug use was common place on school grounds. One assistant principal told me that he had quit on one school after finding a loaded gun hidden in a stack of chairs so yea it is bad out there more so these days than ever.

I actually love my child's school. They've been amazing. How is the public school system degenerate in your view, @Roses In The Vineyard ?

And I'm finding more and more employers are offering flexible WFH or hybrid options (outside of service sector or where feasible that is) because Covid and the "great resignation" is forcing their hand. Wages are going up as as result for most jobs, too. I don't think things are so bleak on that front.

But I do not plan on giving my son his own cellphone until he's about 18. He uses our tablet with parental controls every so often and my husband and I are always there checking what he's into when he does and even then weird stuff pops up from time to time. There are a lot of creeps trying to get past content filters for kids. Social media is poison for young immature minds.

First, I want to teach him how to source credible info and to see when appeals to his emotions are being made. I don't think there's any good reason for kids to have social media and unrestricted access to the internet.

Reactions: aeon and Rit4lin
@acd

Must be a decade or so behind the times to not even be aware.

Lmao I'm not watching hours of propaganda videos from PragerU approved James Lindsay. There's definitely a political bias here.

Can you sum up your view? I personally think that public educators are scapegoated for all kinds of societal evils. When in reality, they're just trying to teach the basics and help kids learn how to get along with one another and eventually be productive members of society. As a parent with a child in school and friends who are public school teachers, I'm not seeing the "grooming" and other stuff.

Last edited:
why not teach kids that the pilgrims first action in new england was to erect a cross and the second was to steal corn? or that columbus' initial remarks about the indians he found in the carribean was that they would make excellent slaves?

Reactions: aeon and Rit4lin
why not teach kids that the pilgrims first action in new england was to erect a cross and the second was to steal corn? or that columbus' initial remarks about the indians he found in the carribean was that they would make excellent slaves?
Because Republican politicians and their lackeys tell us we're too white and fragile for the truth.

Lmao I'm not watching hours of propaganda videos from PragerU approved James Lindsay. There's definitely a political bias here.

Can you sum up your view? I personally think that public educators are scapegoated for all kinds of societal evils. When in reality, they're just trying to teach the basics and help kids learn how to get along with one another and eventually be productive members of society. As a parent with a child in school and friends who are public school teachers, I'm not seeing the "grooming" and other stuff.

I expected such a response plus this is fairly typical of those in cults when presented with evidence of such never mind what they've bought into is harmful to others. Can't say that I am surprised when this has been spreading throughout society for over a century like a virus and has killed what several dozen times more than even covid.

Because Republican politicians and their lackeys tell us we're too white and fragile for the truth.

As always an out group or demographic is painted as the enemy like Jews in Hitler's Germany or the kulaks of Stalin's Russia ect but you people will never if ever learn and thus repeat the same mistakes.