Forum Vibes | INFJ Forum

Forum Vibes

• Thread starter Deleted member 16771
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16771

I've noticed that a lot of people here (including myself) tend to develop a sense of the common preoccupations and themes which seem to drift in and out of focus on our forum.

Sometimes it seems like 'everyone is thinking or talking about X thing.', or that similar events hit in our lives at the same time.

A lot of this is due to overactive pattern recognition which is often only registered subconsciously (that pesky Ni), and I think it's something that a lot of us can't switch off if we're sensitive to it.

I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we can share all of these 'vibes' that we get occasionally and share notes. I think perhaps @Wyote and @Asa might be interested in this, in particular, maybe @John K, too, and many others.

I see this as a means of exploring our Ni and for me in particular, learning what to 'do' with this pattern recognition; learning how to better manage these 'vibes'. In addition, I'm interested intellectually in how this contributes to the process of social idea formation.

Right now, it's 'plants', 'flowers', 'nature'.

Yesterday we had a much darker vibe, lots of pain and misunderstanding.

This was my impression anyway.

Thanks for the tag. Absolutely.

Ni-creepy.
I do notice that we, the people of the forum, figure things out about each other without needing to be told (and without specific hints) and that we land on specific topics in our blogs frequently. Many of us are also naturally interested in similar topics, which isn't that strange.

Right now, it's 'plants', 'flowers', 'nature'.

Well, this is a theme in my life anyway, but spring usually makes people think about flowers, nature, gardens, etc.

Yesterday we had a much darker vibe, lots of pain and misunderstanding.

We feed off each other, too. We all have these thoughts and feelings within and if someone steps up and discusses it, the floodgates will open for others. It is part of the charm of the forum. We may discuss these topics here and then get on with our off-forum lives normally.

I don't mean to say these networks of ideas, thoughts and intuitive thinking are not real, I just have logical explanations for those particular points.

Last edited:
Not having been a part of the community as much during the last two years, I would say it more or less boils down to circumstance and infectious thought patterns. As a primarily empathic social group, it is more easily noticeable than in a more mixed group. Similar temperaments breed similar coping mechanisms that may even be acquired through interacting with one another.

Thanks for the tag. Absolutely.

Ni-creepy.
I do notice that we, the people of the forum, figure things out about each other without needing to be told (and without specific hints) and that we land on specific topics in our blogs frequently. Many of us are also naturally interested in similar topics, which isn't that strange.

Wyote is the one who most frequently figures out specifics about me that I have never shared here and have barely hinted at, and also rarely share off the forum, either. Close friends and family I see face-to-face have no idea, but Wyote does.

Well, this is a theme in my life anyway, but spring usually makes people think about flowers, nature, gardens, etc.

We feed off each other, too. We all have these thoughts and feelings within and if someone steps up and discusses it, the floodgates will open for others. It is part of the charm of the forum. We may discuss these topics here and then get on with our off-forum lives normally.

I don't mean to say these networks of ideas, thoughts and intuitive thinking are not real, I just have logical explanations for those particular points.

definitely. I think we tap into each other, at least I do, on a personal level, , if we have a shared experience, it is shared. .for support or for clues to deal with something together

Forum vibes: you're all a bunch of weirdos

Part of this thread is the ability to recognize a pattern. I have no doubt most of you are good at it. But there is another concept I'd like to share.

Perception. Yes, we all know what this is, however I'd like for you to imagine it this way:

Cacoo-Venn-Diagram-Blog-680x450.png

Yes, like a Venn diagram, but imagine the shared part in the center is realm of truth/reality, and the unshared parts are the added baggage which gradually (not as abruptly as the line of the depicted circle) veers off into the realm of false or loosely coupled to the realm of truth. One person has their own baggage and beliefs coupled to the core of truth while another will have their own.

The problem I had in the past with users of Ni, and still do (but less so because I am getting better at representing my mind) is their tendency add unwarranted connotations and connections (which typically exist in simpler entities).

Summary: just because you spotted it, doesn't mean you understand it. That is where I take over ;)

What @ruji is talking about is why I try to be brief when explaining when I pick up on something and why I try not to enter debates. I may "know" something. As soon as I'm forced to elaborate I start grasping at straws. I prefer to just say, "I know this," and leave it at that until I have evidence. In some ways this means you need to know a Ni user well before you trust their word, but it only takes a few times of saying, "I know this," and seeing that I was right when events unfold, for people to catch on.

What @ruji is talking about is why I try to be brief when explaining when I pick up on something and why I try not to enter debates. I may "know" something. As soon as I'm forced to elaborate I start grasping at straws. I prefer to just say, "I know this," and leave it at that until I have evidence. In some ways this means you need to know a Ni user well before you trust their word, but it only takes a few times of saying, "I know this," and seeing that I was right when events unfold, for people to catch on.
You've nothing to worry about. I know that you contemplate other people's point of view, and I know that you yourself aren't that simple.

Beside what's between us, I acknowledge this post either way.

I'm drinking beer. Pardon

That's why I find this thread to be bullshit on some level.
I know shit, but I don't know what I know. So a communal sharing of this is fucking weird.
Other people know other things, in other ways. And it is seen through their own lens of baggage, as @ruji put it.

I know shit, but I don't know what I know. So a communal sharing of this is fucking weird.
Other people know other things, in other ways. And it is seen through their own lens of baggage, as @ruji put it.

I don't blame @Deleted member 16771 or anything, he's just trying to create a more efficient system, I get it

Yeah, it can't be extracted on command.

I think this thread was built on a short discussion in my blog about convergent thinking and jumped, here, to how people on the forum engage in convergent thinking.

It's not bullshit, but I see what you're saying.

I wanted to try to see if it were possible to share these intuitions 'communally'; to make them more conscious.

My field, and what I'm interested in, is social epistemology - specifically the mechanisms by which novel ideas are generated.

What we seem to be aware of on this forum is something like the collective unconscious - the way people respond to each other subconsciously and subtly shift their emotional states, which cascades throughout our social networks. Given enough scale and time, it seems that social groups 'create' novel ideas from within the collective unconscious without the need for any single individual to have had or articulated the idea.

This would be a very different mechanic of idea generation than the point-to-point, brain-to-brain conscious tracing that dominates intellectual history and social epistemology, and exploring that in the microcosm of the forum is intrinsically interesting to me, not least because so many of us report it so often.

Given enough scale and time, it seems that social groups 'create' novel ideas from within the collective unconscious without the need for any single individual to have had or articulated the idea.

yup, and the internet just makes this faster and more transparent