Fine For Swearing | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Fine For Swearing

They have yet to have it challenged and there was something about state law having a provision for swearing. I agree that it is very hard to enforce but it does give the authority to target you if they want to. It makes it easier to run off "undesirables" from commerce areas.

I do not understand how this is not in violation of the first amendment. If we were talking about private property that is one thing, but we are not talking about private property here.

One of the basic things I tell people about government is this:

Your local city government has more power to f*ck up your life than the federal government does.

The federal government is designed to work slowly--to take into account as much info as they can. The legislative process is measured in months, if not years sometimes.

Your city government can profoundly change things in your neighborhood from one meeting to the next!

I do not understand how this is not in violation of the first amendment. If we were talking about private property that is one thing, but we are not talking about private property here.

Legislative bodies can pass pretty much any sort of law they want. It's the judicial system's job to determine whether or not it is constitutional, which means it has to be taken to court to be ruled unconstitutional.

One of the basic things I tell people about government is this:

Your local city government has more power to f*ck up your life than the federal government does.

The federal government is designed to work slowly--to take into account as much info as they can. The legislative process is measured in months, if not years sometimes.

Your city government can profoundly change things in your neighborhood from one meeting to the next!

Oh my god I fucking love that fucking quote and that is one of the most true fucking things ever said about the gucking foverment on this forum ever. And city/county officials are all taking bribes up the wazoo. (I do not know if wazoo is a swear word or not.) City and county governments are trouble, IMO.

Reactions: Nixie
Okay, one more thing then I will stop. Found the article, and as usual, the comments at the bottom were the best part:

Bob here apparently knows his legal code, or at least sounds like he does:

Bob

Apparently this town doesn't have a City Attorney. The use of profanity in public has already been decided by the Supreme Court in Cohen v. California decades ago. Unless the use is formed in the context of "fighting words" profanity is a First Amendment right to free speech. Additionally, any police officer that enforces such an ordinance is in violation of clearly established law under 42 USC 1983 and subject to civil liabilities along with city officials.

And I'm wondering if James' 5 year old has had a playdate with mine:
James

Good Luck getting 20 dollars out of my 5 year old who has dropped the F bomb at daycare numerous times.

Too funny! :D

Those mothersmurfing smurfholes! Who the smurf do they think they're smurfing with? We're intelligent people who should be able to decide what we want to smurfing say without having a smurfing law made to decide it for us. They can go smurf themselves!