Finding Ourselves | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Finding Ourselves

What is the real you? How do you know who or what the real you is?

The real you is the one you feel at peace with. That's the way I see it. For me, its the same feeling as watching the beautiful ocean. For someone else, it might be the same feeling a specific song might give them. For another, it might be the feeling they get when they watch the sunrise or sunset.

This isn't to say that you will stop growing and stop being curious and stop craving to learn more and more about yourself and others each day, but you just won't feel like a lost and crippled soul anymore.

If that's finding yourself, so be it. I don't really see it as finding yourself. I'm not sure what to call it, to be frank. I don't know if I'm expressing myself effectively here.

Finding myself? Hmm.... I feel like I'm chasing myself most of the time.

What is the real you? How do you know who or what the real you is?

My point of view.

I am me, nothing less, nothing more. If you must label me, label me by the actions or by the words that make up my character.

But if you ask me what it is that makes up myself, or ask me to "be myself", I ask you: How am I not myself?

I exist in what little of reality we know and experience, nothing less, nothing more.

That is how I know the real me. I was never lost or found to begin with, but rather it was I who had lost the world. The thing you must keep in mind when searching for yourself is that you and everything that encompasses who you are is already there, and will always be there. We can always choose to revert ourselves to our past, whereas people or objects or events may be lost, our memories of them are not. We learn from our mistakes, but are still capable of repeating them, because we have truly never forgotten that mistake. The memory remains.

It is the world around us that changes, not the other way around. Change in us is an illusion of thought. The world, its values, systems, cultures, its nature; these things influence us to shape ourselves certain ways, forgetting the memories that have already shaped us.

This is why I fear forgetting things. To not have a visual memory of the things that have transpired in your life is to truly lose yourself. When we die, it is the memory of us that stays tied down to this world and the inhabitants of it.

If you lose the memory of riding a bike, can you still say to yourself that you ever rode it?

When people say that, it usually means they've found a lie that they cling to about themselves. Confirmation bias ensues.

Why do people always say things like "I want to find myself" and "I finally found myself?" Why do we think we need to find ourselves? We ARE ourselves. And we are ever changing. There is no need to find ourselves. I think this might be common with introspective and curious people so I think this is an appropriate topic for people like us to discuss. I'm not sure if I'm communicating this correctly but let's see. So what do you guys think?

I think what they mean is "I want to scrub the drawing board, and work on a design of myself."

Do we need to find ourselves or do we simply need to realize that we are not lost?

The truth is that everytime I try to find myself I become more lost. The reason is that when you think you have learned everything there is about yourself, there will always be something or someone that will crush that illusion into pieces and when you try to rebuild those chattered pieces back again you realize that everything you knew in fact was nothing at all. " All I know is that I don't know nothing." sound familiar?